The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Practise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I got my first straight jacket a week ago and I absolutly love it! I am currently practising getting out when the armstrap is secured behind the backstrap. It hurts at times...

Anyway; my wife really starts to hate the jacket because she constantly have to put it on me. How do you practise effectivily. I meen, if I would practise a cardslight I could do it like six thousand times during an hour - all by myself in a litte dark room in solitude - got my point. Escapes, on the other hand, can´t be done this way - even though I have tried to put the jacket on without assistance of my wife. (With more or less good results)

How do you practise escapes in general?
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Usally with someone in case anything happens. if it hurts find out why it hurts do you have anything wrong with you etc. remember safety 1st.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I know why it hurts. I do some more or less stupid things. But I figured - I have to get out of my jacket under all surcomstanses. Which of cours could be disussed, by I want to be able to do that.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
It's definitely a problem. During regular rehearsals with people I'm performing with, no problem, but getting others to tie you up the rest of the time is much more difficult.

So when I'm alone I practice either general technique or things I can apply myself, handcuffs and shackles mostly. I have a pretty good knowledge of rope bondage and the ways in which it can be effectively self-applied (this was how I practiced when I first got started, when most of what I did involved ropes and chains) and also like to practice picking and untying things with my toes. In the event I do get completely stuck (which happens rarely but on occasion) I can always call on my housemates for assistance, though I always have a safety knife and easily accesible keys to hand.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2478 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I was 16 when I started practicing handcuff picking. My mother was dead set against it. She finally gave in saying she realized she could not stop me if that was what I wanted to do. She also made it clear that If I got in trouble, I should not go running to her about it. This meant if I got stuck I was stuck. Truthfully I am sure if I came to her hands behind and keys in hand, she would have helped me, but I would have heard about it for a long time.

What I did was simple. For a long time, hands did not go behind. Keys were right there as helen suggested. Only when I felt totally confidant in my picking did my hands go behind, and even then I still had easy keys available.

This absolutly does not solve you straight jacket problem. Obviously you can not put on on yourself.

The only advice I can give you is to go to your local magic club or shop and find a friend willing to help you practice. You might even pick up a partner to perform with that way.

You never know.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I don´t think there´s any solution of the problem. I just wanted to hear what the rest of you do. I have been thinking a lot about chainescapes resently and the same problem stays. I suppose I have to bore the life out of my wife.

Helen Held: What kind of escapes do you do with ropes and chains? I have been buying all books I could find on the subject and is about to make my chains. What would you recomend to start with?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I've just learnt to do the sj escape backwards. Yep, I start out of the sj and end up in it. Ok, not very useful for shows but it's quite a bit of fun. Please note that this is not an sj with loops.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ros you may think it may not be useful but maybe it could be useful.
Bretigan
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee
102 Posts

Profile of Bretigan
Hi,

This website will teach you how to get into a jacket by yourself. They have pictures too. Plus

http://sj.blacksteel.com/Posey/posey.cgi

Also, that website has many helpful tips on every type of jackets there are, plus ways to "thrawt" an escape artist if you are in the audience, and you are the one to restrain the escape artist. Plus, it explains many styles, etc of jackets.

http://sj.blacksteel.com/
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2478 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am a little offended at that site's opinion. If someone approaches you with a bet for money that they can escape any jacket no matter what, I suppose the thwart efforts outlined could be considered acceptable. If a performer is on stage doing an escape, then rigging it against the artist does little more than humilaite him, as well as leaving the audience feeling cheated.

The author writes about taping fingers. I never allowed my fingers to be taped in any of my escapes (only one person ever actually suggested it). The reason is simple. I never said I could untape my fingers with out my fingers. I said I could open handcuffs without a key.

Again, unless the EA says, "do your worst and I will beat it" which is foolish in a open forum, I think it is cheating.

Sorry for the rave, but I do understand how it feels to be cheated and humiliated in front of a crowd. I do not know how it feels to lose an escape challenge honestly.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
I've had my fingers taped in challenges, so long as you supply the tape (plastic sticky tape wrapped around the fingers) it'll sweat right off once the hands get sweaty.

That's an interesting site, thanks for posting. As regards to his attitude re. deliberately foiling stage magic acts, I think it comes back to showing your audience proper respect. I've been in that audience and been called up all the time as a 'volunteer'. I never actually sabotaged an act, though the obnoxious ones, the sort who think audience volunteers are inferior morons fit only to be ridiculed, did tempt me. Someone else might well give in to that temptation.

Here's what our friend had to say on the ethics question at the head of that article;

Quote:
So you're in the audience at a magic performance, and you're chosen to help put the performer in a straitjacket. Would it be it fair game to try to foil the escape?

In answer, I'd like to ask if you think it's fair game to fool an inexperienced mark with a gaffed--tricked--jacket. If you're on the committee charged with making sure the escape is legitimate, are you under any kind of obligation to collude with the performer to carry out an intended deception?

The key is in the final question. You are challenging the members of the comittee to lend their integrity to your act. If they are being shanghied in as challengers for you, you can hardly begrudge them for doing the job you gave them. You can moan that people like that shouldn't exist and get all upset when someone shows up who does challenge you, or you can realise that they do and be prepared for them by learning to do your job properly and not relying on gimmicks.

I discussed this on another thread and got flamed to a crisp, although no-one ever posted in response when I challenged them on the specifics of their "your apporach is the antithesis of proper performance ethics, tut tut, shame!" arguments.. I guess it's just something some performers don't want to hear.

Just read that article in more detail, I love it.. it's sort of like a practice manifesto!

What's so diabolical about Caught-In-The-Act psycho model SJ's? I might have to look these up.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Taping of finger should not pose a problem. As mentioned above, just sweat it off. Same with cable ties which is a favourite of the spectators here in South Africa as this is what the police normally use.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Practise (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL