The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Sanders Show Real Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Keith Yeung
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Keith Yeung
I own volumes 1 and 3
The effects on Volume 1 are passable but Volume 3 you can't do without

I'll review Vol. 1 first

Richard Sanders Show Volume 1
Content: 6.5

Named: Scribble from magic marker visually transforms into a spectator's name (given a shake or two) Totally impromptu

I know a lot of tricks similar to this. (PH's Backlash comes to mind) Its impressive to laymen though. I'll give it a 7/10

Double Bill Switch: A Borrowed bill transforms into a $50, then into a $100.

TT as usual but the double change can be quite attractive. Keep in mind the fronts and backs are shown for all the bills. Still have to try it though. 6/10

Behind my back: Performer with cards held behind back has card chosen. Performer turns to face the audience and in between his lips is the card chosen a moment ago.

This ones impressive and the decks immediately examinable they won't find their card in it. Quite cleverly done. I've done it for laymen a few times and the reactions have been good. I'll give this a 8.5/10

Gobsmack Pack: One face down card in face up deck. Spetator names any card. Face down card is turned over and on its face, name of thought of card. Real reputation maker. Immediately repeatable

I just think its a drawn out Invisible Deck routine. However, the delayed climax could be valuable. Personally I haven't even built this yet. Its all presentation. Maybe it'll be useful to you. However since its not really my style (and I'm a little lazy to construct the deck) 5/10

SynchronACEity: Fun self-working routine with built in surpise finish. Together, the spectator and performer manage to find the 4 aces in the fairest manner possible!

Um. Its an acceptable routine, however I find it a bit amateurish for Sanders. This sounds exactly like something I'll come up w/. I've tried it a few times just for a go. I'd say its filler at best. However, could be a good alternative to cutting the aces when you're lazy. 4/10

Pile of Change: Change a spectators penny into a quarter and give it to them as a souveneir.

This is a really simple effect but since you give them the change it really strengthens the fact in their minds... he really changed the penny into the quarter. (And I made 24cs too!) I knew most of the sleights though. I would have appreciated it to be a full routine, but it just happens to be another quick trick. 6/10

Cramped: Signed bill vanishses and reappears inside theh cap of a marker that the spectator used to sign his bill!

This is really practical. I mean how many times are you going to be carrying a lemon/ orange/ fruit? If you want a pocket miracle, you have it here. 8/10

Magic Marker: Marker and super visual card revelation.

Gimmicks supplied. Marker isn't. It works I guess. Falls into another quick trick category but I could see how you can really establish yourself. (By literally doing magic with any and all objects) 7/10

Overall, I thought this Volume was mediocre, I use Behind My Back and Named. I'll try Cramped more and maybe the Double Bill Switch. The rest is more filler than anything.

However, with that said... I really enjoyed Volume 3. That Volume you can't miss! However, I've typed enough for one day. Review tommorow
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks for the review, pal. I can't wait for the other. No review for the second one?
Yours,

Ivan
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Thanx..i'm planning to get vol.1 and vol.2 though. Wll do my review whe I get them.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Seems like most of these effects were in his Close-Up Assasin book w companion tape made several years ago.
Regardless, excellent stuff.
HypnoticQueen
View Profile
New user
Quebec
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoticQueen
Thanks for review buddy.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Is it worth buying? Preview looks good...
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of levitate
I must say, just from reading the descriptions I may have to go out and get all these. Any more reviews?

Michael
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Volume 3 review coming up...
Keith Yeung
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Keith Yeung
Alright heres the Volume 3 review as promised. Keep in mind the descriptions aren't full, as that would take even more typing!

Vol. 3
Content: Solid 9

Shaken: Visual card magic. Watch dots drawn on a card VISUALLY REGROUP to form the outline of a selected card. All this happens on the back of a signed card that the spectator keeps as a souvenir!

Similar to the previous NAMED (on Vol. 1) Basically this effect ie one of those special ways to reveal a selected card. Its not that original and feels like the same trick w/ different handling to me. 6/10

Card In Ear: A two card selection routine where cards change, one card ends up behind the performer's ear and finally the whole deck vanishes leaving only the 2 selections. A smorgasbord of amazing magic in one routine!

<--- The description is all true. I've heard a few gasps of suprise as they discover the card behind your ear! Its a great moment. Then imagine their reaction, when you smack the deck and only the two cards left! Easily one of the most visual tricks I perform. 9/10

Discovered: An unexplainable card revelation that will fool even the most knowledgeable magicians.

Well since they didn't write much in the description I'm not sure I'm supposed to reveal the effect. It will fool some magicians, esp. those who have never worked with memorized decks. 8/10 (Its strong but just watch Osterlind and you clearly know there are stronger variations)

Trick Photography: A selected card vanishes from the pack and appears in the the magicians hand.... inside a picture!

Haha, this one is just fun to perform. It might take some preparation (e.g. preparing the photo etc.) but the reactions are just great. A minor miracle
8/10

The Audio Vanish: Vanish any small item from your card case!

I remember a marketed effect that was similar to this premise. It was called Vox Box. The sound is really convincing. And you can stop it anytime you like. This is how your card box becomes a great utlity item.
8.5/10

Stickmen 4: A wild packet trick that uses only 4 cards. One at a time little stickmen start appearing on the backs of four jokers. Heres the killer finish, like a special effect, all the stickmen visually jump onto the back of the chosen joker held by the spectator.

This is just great. Great great trick. Period. The appeal of the stickmen --> its like Cardtoon. I love performing this and its gone straight into my repetoire. If you can't tell... its my favourite trick of the volume 9.5/10

Sugarless Bill: A borrowed bill vanishes and then reappears inside an unopened, sealed package of gum! This trick alone has landed Richard thousands of dollars worth of contracts

The description says it all. It plays exactly how it sounds. Pretty much a Bill to impossible location that's suitable for even a street situation. Afterall, how big is a pack of gum?! (Though its the Trident brand) 8/10

Castle Purse: The closing efffect to Richard's Magic Castle performance. A folded card is shown inside a small coin purse and then set aside. A card is signed by a spectator. At the end of the performance a small set of tweezers are used to gently and very slowly remove the folded card from the coin purse. The folded card is the signed selection!

There you have it. Its strong. Why wouldn't it be? Basically this is Richards version of Paperclipped. Well same premise but totally different props obviously. Doesn't that say it all. A single trick on a DVD that could be marketed on its own. 8.5/10

Hopefully now you know why this Vol. is so much better than Vol. 1. I'm thinking of Vol. 2 but the money tricks on that seem to be the same as Vol.1 (from the descriptions at least)

Overall great series of DVDs...
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks again!!! Nice review!
Yours,

Ivan
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of levitate
I just ordered volume 3. If I like it, I'll probably get the other two.

Michael
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I ordered the whole set today...It ships tomorrow...I'll let you guys know what I think on the WHOLE series when it comes...Expect an extensive review :-P
~joeKing
Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Thanx JoeKing!...You the man! =)
Grant
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Grant
For another review that goes over some of the material in Vol 2 as well as the 1st and 3rd, head to http://magiccirclejerk.blogspot.com/ and scroll down to yesterday's (Tuesaday's) post.

Later,
Grant
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
I don't have time for a long review. But I have to say these are realy worth it. Not all the effects are amazing, there are enough killers on each dvd though to justify purchasing all three. I give these a 9/10
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
The guy just sent my DVDs yesterday...So my review won't be for awhile.
:(
~joeKing
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of levitate
I got volume 3 and have watched it a couple times. overall, I liked it. Its a good vid, and has stuff that I will actually use in the real world. I'd recomend this to anyone that likes the sound of the effects.

To touch on the highlights, shaken is a fantastic effect - very visual, plays out just like it reads, although I'm really bad at drawing (even random marks on cards) so I'll have to try it out.

Card in ear was ok, not my kinda effect, but discovered totally fooled me. I knew what had to be at work, but I didn't see how, and with the method richard presents, your audience will not have a clue - definately one of my favorites.

Trick photography is another great effect. I very much regret not asking the guy at the DMV if I could have a card in the picture of my drivers licsense in my mouth or something. It takes some prep but very well done.

Audio vanish is basically vox box (if you have heard of it), and I think provides a great way to vanish small objects in close up work. A nice, convincing effect, although I'm not sure how to work it into my routine.

Stickman 4 was an ok effect. I didn't like so much the beginning of the effect, as it didn't seem very coherent to me - it didn't flow right, but the ending is great.

Sugarless bill is just an awesome bill to impossible location. It definatly takes some prep, but its well worth the effort.

Castle purse is essentially richards version of paperclipped. I personally think paperclipped is much easier, simpler, and just as strong as this.

I'll probably go ahead and get the other 2 volumes, then let you know how they compare.

Michael
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Card in ear doesn't work for me, the card won't stay clipped behind my ear.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
I'm still waiting for mine...
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of levitate
Any reviews of volume 2?

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Richard Sanders Show Real Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL