The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Feather Pluckers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Many birds start to pluck out their feathers because of boredom, poor diet, stress, iodine deficiency that is then found within the quills of the feathers, etc...

Having said, that I counter plucking by using a product, known as "Better Bitters", Wheat Germ, and new toys to counter the boredom along with a sleight change in diet treats.

Do any of you have any hints or suggestions that worked well for you?

Please note. I own two sulphur crested cockatoos, A Nanday and a gorgeous Sun Conure.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I had some doves that were pucking badly, so I removed the pair and seperated them. This stoped the plucking, and now when they are together its in a 'neutral' territory for a limited time and I haven't had any more problems.

Not sure if this helps or if its possible in your circumstances, but it helped me.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Remove any stressors or any sudden changes that have occurred. I was fortunate with my African Grey I had, they are notorius and he never did even when he went to live elsewheres.
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
I have had some success with pluckers by making sure the room has the proper humidity. Try a Lite spray of water once a day.

Good luck
Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I have 6 parrots (B&G macaw, GW Macaw, Hyacinth Macaw, SC Cockatoo, Moluccan Cockatoo and an African Grey). The only feather chewer is Trix, my moluccan cockatoo aged 6 years old. He chews his primary flight feathers and his tail. I tried all the remedies like bathing him everyday, Listerine spray, bitter apple spray, different foods, vitamins, toys, wood to chew, constant attention but until today he still chews his feathers. I also don't allow him to join the other parrots because he also chews their feathers. You should have seen my sulfur crested cockatoo, he did a terrible haircut on it. All the crests were gone!
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Thanks Mr. Muggle, Candini, Maria, and Lou. I had forgotten to mention that if you don't have the humidity at the proper levels this too can stress the bird and start the plucking. Thanks for the reminder Maria.

I do know that I felt quite guilty when this first started. I felt so helpless and uninformed of proper bird care. My vet told me not to be so hard on myself.

I also know that there a a number of other individuals here who work with birds. Please be so kind as to step out of the closet and share your remedies for the good of all of our wonderful feathered freinds!
SnakeBabe
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
90 Posts

Profile of SnakeBabe
You're welcome!

Maria
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
What's the difference between feather plucking, and just general grooming or preening? I have an African Grey that to me appears to be just preening himself. He has no bald spots or bare patches and I don't have a lot of feathers on the bottom of the cage.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
There's an article on plucking in the February 2005 Bird Talk (just came out this week). It's a pretty frustrating problem. We have a Peach-Faced Lovebird who is a plucker. He's gotten a little better but still has bare spots on the top of his chest, shoulders and the top of his back. This is the bird that has night guard duty. The rest of the flock (Masked Lovebird, Senegal Parrot and a budgie) is all fine.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Feather Pluckers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL