The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Wedding Proposal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
onelegtwoshoes
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of onelegtwoshoes
Im going to ask my girlfriend of over a year to marry me this weekend, and was wondering about some good ring effects, preferably something where she will be holding a string by both ends, I place a scarf over the center of the string and when I remove it,her ring is there. Then I get down on one knee and propose.

I would like something like that, but any ideas would truly help. ALso if you are in the seattle are and could help me work on the effect that would be greatly appreciated.

Cody

When I said this weekend, I meant this christmas
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi

Ring on rose is very nice.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
onelegtwoshoes
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Oh yeah and if you could direct towards the best place to buy and who makes or produces the trick maybe post a link of some sort
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Where are you? I recently (a month ago) helped a fellow propose to his girl in a magical fashion, and might be able to provide some tips.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Alan Wright
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia, Canada
71 Posts

Profile of Alan Wright
Why on earth would you propose with a magic trick?
-- Alan
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
I think its an excellent idea! How about using a washer or chinese coin, then change it into the wedding ring? Perform some Ring and String effect but with wedding ring ending? That would be excellent!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quick idea.
How about the "Buddha Papers"? (Wrapping paper?)
Tell her it's a new trick you just learned.

Unfold one side and it's empty (or maybe has a Queen of Hearts).
Refold the papers and do the move.
Open the papers and the ring is seen along with a message like: "Will You Marry Me?"

Maybe present it as a Chrismas trick.

Best Wishes,
onelegtwoshoes
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

The point for proposing with a trick, is because that's how our interest for eachother started. I was at a small party and had meet her a few times, In the past she was kind of abrasive and was trying to be hard to get. I knew that magic would show her true side so I sat down next to her and few of her friends and slowly broke into some ambitious card routines and went from there only showing the tricks for her and using her hands only, after that she was hooked. I asked her out the next day and we have been inseparable ever since. so to ask with a magic trick only seemed like the right way. our relationship started with magic, and will move into the next stage of our lives by magic.

IM out of Lynnwood Washington. Send me a private message if you are local to me and can help.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
So you used magic to show your true side? Ok I'm gonna sound like an ***hole but dude..that's sad.

That's all you have to give her? Magic? I don't want to seem like I'm bringing bad news (I know you're super happy) but I think you're setting yourself up for hurt later on....

If you really care about her, ask her to marry you WITHOUT the magic. I have a feeling that if the wedding goes through, the marriage might not be more then an 'illusion'....
onelegtwoshoes
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Chris your not reading what was written. I used magic to break the ice! Its not like we just sit around every day of our relationship just me showing her magic and her laughing and giggling. My goodness stop reading into things. I just asked for help, I thought I would get help from the brotherhood, but I guess all I will get from this is criticism, sorry I wasted your time. It goes to show why I have such a hard time around magicians, and hardly ever do magic.

Thanks chris for your criticism>

Cody

Jaz thanx for the idea, sounds good. Where would be a good place to find a transcript on the effect?
Alan Wright
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia, Canada
71 Posts

Profile of Alan Wright
Quote:
On 2004-11-20 16:55, onelegtwoshoes wrote:
I just asked for help, I thought I would get help from the brotherhood, but I guess all I will get from this is criticism,

Obviously that is untrue as you have gotten many replies about actual effects. And you obviously know this, because you acknowledged the posts and thanked them for the suggestions. So that's a huge exaggeration. But anyway...

Well, it does seem more sensible after what you've said about meeting her and such. But just make sure you know what you're doing.

I said what I did because here's my thinking on the matter: This girl is supposed to be the most important person in your life, the most important thing in your life period. You're about to ask her to marry you. That's huge. You're about to say that you love this girl more than anything, that you want to spend the rest of your life with her. And how are you going to get into this? By beginning with, basicly "Hey look at this cool trick".

I'm sorry but that seems, to me, almost insulting to the girl. That even when you're considering marriage, you've still got magic on the brain and you're almost working the proposal into a mini act!

I think that marriage is much more important and held above magic, but hey, ya know, if you consider them equal enough to mix, go for it.

And congratulations. Let's hope she says yes, after she realizes that she's just been proposed to with a magic trick. At least if she says no, you'll get great reactions from both!

Also, please let me know how it works out. I hope for your sake that she thinks the exact opposite way as I do.
-- Alan
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Alright. I would suggest that you try to find out what her romantic fantasy is, basically what her dream date is or if you can maybe find out how she has pictured the event of her proposal since the very fist time she had fantasies about marriage.

Once you have the information, try to give her the event that she has been dreaming of. Doing this on your own initiative scores big points and it's how many woman wish events would play out....probably because it gives the impression that we are in tune with what they are thinking.

Do not rehearse what you will say...just put the right feeling into whatever comes out of your mouth.

Tell her how much she means to you for a good while AFTER you produce the ring magically. This is so there is appropriate time delay and this says to her that you wanted to use your talents to propose, BUT, that the connection between the two of you isn't based upon or held together by your hobby.

She will remember this day for the REST OF HER LIFE! She will be able to tell you what you were wearing, what she ate that evening, everything! Women do not forget! It is in your best interest, as I said before, to make this moment one that not only is one to remember but that it's as close to how she WANTS it to be as possible.

Focus the proposal around her and not a trick, let the trick add to the experience and you'll have a winning combination.

Good luck
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
Cody,

I actually debated whether or not to use magic when I proposed to my wife. We just had our one year anniversary a month ago. I decided against it and here's why:

First, Magic is essentially entertainment and I felt that doing a trick would trivialize what is really a very important point in your relationship. Don't get me wrong, I consider magic to be a very important part of my life and my wife knows that but I don't think anyone but a magician who has devoted most of their life to magic would recognize how special it is to do something just for her as part of the proposal. Basically, if you write a song just for her she'll swoon but it doesn't work the same with magic tricks.

Second, I believe a magic effect at the time when she's thinking about making a life altering decision would be distracting. She's weighing your life together to life without you and not focusing on her 100% by focusing on a trick shows a lack of caring. I think it could be construed as putting magic above her.

Third, you should entirely focus on her during the evening and especially at the moment of the proposal. Magic tricks are another way of showing off, pulling attention your way, and focusing on you, not her. I would consider this an opportunity to learn how to really focus on her to prepare yourself for marriage.

One of the things that was hardest for me during the engagement and the wedding was to let my wife be the center of attention. Your fiance will want to show off the ring and she will be the most beautiful woman at the ceremony in her wedding dress and you will be the lucky guy at her side. There are certain moments, like the proposal, the wedding and the engagement, when you should let your fiance be the center of attention. Learn to recognize those moments now to avoid disagreements later.

Had I decided to do an effect for my wife when I proposed, here's how I would have handled it. I would have gotten down on one knee, brought out the ring box and proposed. Then I would have told her something to the effect that she brought magic into my life and I'd like to bring magic into hers. Then I would have had the ring float from the box onto her finger.

Unfortunately, I was never able to come up with the right way to say that she brought the magic into my life so I didn't do it. Instead, the heartfelt, unrehearsed, proposal worked fine and she got tears in her eyes anyway so she would have missed the floating finger ring Smile I did practice the floating finger ring and have a method with an ITR that is based on Fearson's hook up. If you're interested and still want to do it after thinking about all the points I brought up then PM me and I'll share it with you. I've thought about doing this routine for the couple when I perform at wedding anniversaries.

Dave
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Ladies and gentlemen....

I believe David has just summed up everything perfectly. Cody, make an effort and listen to Dave's advice.

He said it best.

Chris
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2004-11-20 17:28, onelegtwoshoes wrote:
Jaz thanx for the idea, sounds good. Where would be a good place to find a transcript on the effect?

'Self-Working Paper Magic' by Karl Fulves - page 88.

'Tarbell 7' - page 202 - "Morty Rudnicks Funny Force" also uses the Buddha Papers.

Do a search here for Buddha Papers or go here for info.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Ring Flite-The ring ending on your appartment keys?
Andre
tbaronio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of tbaronio
Use the ring in it's ring box for the final load to a chop cup routine.
Alan Wright
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia, Canada
71 Posts

Profile of Alan Wright
Quote:
On 2004-11-21 15:33, tbaronio wrote:
Use the ring in it's ring box for the final load to a chop cup routine.

Now...

Do you honestly think (and I am truly curious here) that a wedding proposal would be a good final load for a cups and balls rotuine?
-- Alan
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I used magic when I proposed to my wife and it went like a dream. I took my wife to the top of the Empire State Building. I reached up and plucked a yellow star shaped ring box from the sky, got down on one knee and opened the ring box. If you know your partner real well, well enough to make the commitment of marriage, you'll know if magic is appropriate. Best wishes
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Using Magic to make the Proposal special is a great Idea.

The "Buddha Papers" with a romantic presentation would be a very nice way to introduce the Ring.

I think anyone who can not use their magic to make someone else the center of attention needs to take a good hard look at their presentations and reasons for performing magic.
Anyone who wants entertain using his skills, needs to know that if you can not make the audience feel special, your magic will never be much more then a self-satisfying hobby.

Whenever I perform I try to make the spectators feel the magic, weather it’s a close up show for family & friends, a paid performance, a Birthday Party, Stage Show, or wedding proposal I want the audience to feel that they are the special ones. I am there only for their enjoyment.

Cody
Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Wedding Proposal (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL