The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Psychology of magic and grass root information (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
I've read Maximum Entertainment, fantastic.
I've read Pure Effect, ok
I've read Absolute Magic, ok
I have read card college 1-5 , fantastic.

I have ordered strong magic.

What other books should I read on the psychology and practical aspects of magic. Eugene Burger's Art of Magic has been suggested but doesn't that include many effects in it's 230 pages. Maximum entertainment contains no effects just some great advice.

What do you suggest ?
to the blue sky at the top of the hill...
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
418 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
Couldn’t resist the pedantic male thing of listing and rating the books on theory that I have read (how many boys haven’t listed their favourite records, top ten guitar solos of all time, best looking female actresses etc.?):

In addition to those you have read (and I would rate “Absolute Magic” much much higher than you do), or have ordered (“Strong Magic” is in fact my favourite book on magic), I would also recommend:

“Leading with your head” by Kurtz, for really really good stuff on misdirection.

“The Theory of Magic” by Al Schneider for misdirection and theory etc. Its free, very good, but currently not available on his home page for some reason. I hope he finishes it and publishes it in book form.

“Mastering the Art of Magic” by Burger, despite your worries. Great essays (and routines) on everything to do with performance. Packed full of things to ponder.

Brad Henderson’s lecture notes “Theory Into Practice”.

“Shattering Illusions” by Jamy Ian Swiss.

And don’t overlook the “older” books like “Magic and Showmanship” by Nelms, or “Our Magic” or the Fitzkee trilogy (I have yet to read Fitzkee; a professional magician I know said he almost got out of magic after reading Fitzkee!). The trilogy consists of:

“Showmanship for Magicians”
“The Trick Brain”
“Magic by Misdirection”

Then there are lots of books of tricks and routines that have some good theory in them. I like the introductory chapter to “Carneycopia” by John Carney (his Book of Secrets is also said to be good for theory, but I have yet to read it), and the essays in “The Books of Wonder” by Tommy Wonder are top notch.

Some other books that I wouldn’t personally recommend getting to begin with, but which will prod you into thinking are “The Secret Art of Magic” and “Beyond Secrets” (Sankey).

I would skip “Magic in Theory” and “Neo-Magic Artistry” (though some rate this last one highly).
stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
Thanks for the great response David, I'll look into the books you have suggested
stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
I've just ordered Leading with your head by Kurtz. Check out http://www.leirpoll.com
they are excellent, emailed them and had a response within 10 mins. Excellent articles on misdirection etc
brianp
View Profile
New user
canada
25 Posts

Profile of brianp
I liked "Magic and Meaning" by Eugene Burger and Robert Neale. Some good discussion and a few effects.
stevesmagic
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of stevesmagic
Read the first 10 pages or so of “Leading with your head” by Kurtz and it is fantastic . A must for everyone !
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Does this mean you already know about performing, acting and stagecraft and just want to know the specifics that apply to conjuring? If so, Our Magic is pretty good.

If you are looking for the basics and have no stage acting experience, get yourself into a local amateur theater company and don't waste your time pretending to know anything. While you are learning the basics it is likely you will also discover why the magician written texts on psychology and performing are laughable at best and tragic when taken seriously.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicTony
View Profile
New user
Kenosha, WI
25 Posts

Profile of MagicTony
Bravo, Jonathan. I'm usually in a minority, on this topic. I read "Leading With Your Head" and felt like I'd essentially wasted $25. There's nothing new here. It's simply a rehashing of common knowledge (I think most of it could be found in "Magic By Misdirection," though it's been a few years since I read that one). Not only is it badly written, but it's redundant and formatted horribly. Frankly, if Kurtz wants to market a cheaply printed pamphlet like this for $25, he should respect the buyer enough to hire an editor . . . or at least use a spell-checker! Sorry that this sounds so harsh, but I believe this book/pamphlet is all hype.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Psychology of magic and grass root information (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL