The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » To be original or not? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
That is the question. How many of you desire to be one of a kind?

What is it worth? How does one accompish this?

No dribble.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Will, you are asking three questions.

Desire, worth and how to.

Desire to be original? Of course

Worth of being original? I'm not sure how to measure this.

The "how to be original"? Experience, work all you can, and be yourself.

Ron
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Hmmmm.

Desire = How many copies of the Gioconda (Mona Lisa) are there in the world? But how many of them are worth millions?

Worth = Why was Matrix one of the most successful movies? I think ‘cause, in a way, the special effects were something never seen before.

How to = Well, to be novel and original, how does one get to be novel and original? Well, first decide on your personality. What type of person are you? How do people around you perceive you? Are you suave, comical, boring, flashy, etc., etc.? Then you must do the most important thing: break the rules. Yes, you heard me right, break the rules. If someone says that cannot be done, go on and prove them wrong.
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Sniper1

Unlock your CAPS LOCK, dude.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Really, no one can be original. Everything you do is on the basis of your experience of others. Anything 'new' you come up with is little more the an amalgam of your experience.

The idea is to take all of your experience and break them down, then put them together into something seamingly new. It's like a mosaic. Some performers just take big chunks of tiles and slap them together. A true artist uses so many little pieces that it's impossible to see what they originally were.

The creativity comes from a) having lots of experiences to draw from and b) THINKING about your experiences and how to make them into something new.
Sergeant
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of Sergeant
Should you be original??? You’re kidding, right? There is no other way if you wish to be successful as an entertainer. The only people that copy are hacks and local magicians that simply do not want to be successful on a large scale or are too lazy to write an original show.

Is it worth it? If your act is original and good, there is no limit to the amount of bookings you could get. I have watched many magicians chase the “If I just had that one trick” mentality and never get anywhere. It is not the trick, it is the show. Is your show fresh and fun? There are hundreds of people doing Professor’s Nightmare, but only a handful are doing it in such a way that makes people want to see their show. Eugene Burger went around the world doing Gypsy Thread, not because it is an amazing trick, but because it did it in an original and amazing way.

How do you do it? Well, I think that is the real secret to magic. You can buy any trick, DVD, book, or instructions. But there are no books that I know of that teach you how to write a creative and fresh show. It takes creative thinking, collaboration with others, and lots of reading and study.

Sergeant
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » To be original or not? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL