The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Review of Killer Stand-up Comedy System By Steve Roye. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
I'm posting this in "Now that's Funny" because it's about performing comedy. BUT, what I'm asking for is a product review. The product is The Killer Stand-up Comedy System By Steve Roye.

First, I'm not sure if this is a book or a course.

Second, please DO NOT prejudge the product. I'm asking for reviews.

Please don't tell us what your uncle's friend's wife told your grandpa.

Please only post a review IF you have used the system.

Thank you.

Ron Calhoun

P.S. This is the web site for the product.

http://www.killerstandup.com/killerstandupcomedysystem.htm
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Looks interesting enough for me to buy. But at the moment I'm investing in other stuff. OK, where did I live my wish list? Hehe.
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I have the Steve Roye course and I think it's very good. His advice on how to write and perform stand-up comedy is usable. I've used it and was able to get a lot of laughs from the audience just using words, no props. For a magician and ventriloquist it was a real thrill to be entertaining with only words.

I am also a member of Toastmasters International and they also have materials in the Advanced Toastmaster, Humerous Speaker program that give similar advice.

OliverTwist
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2004-11-21 21:46, olivertwist wrote:
I am also a member of Toastmasters International and they also have materials in the Advanced Toastmaster, Humerous Speaker program that give similar advice.

olivertwist, check out this link:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=24
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I just popped over to his web site and I can tell you that everything he says about comedy clubs is true. In fact, the only people who make money at comedy clubs are the owners, and many of them are going broke.

Even the headliners don't get paid really high salaries.

I worked the comedy clubs in Houston and the surrounding area back during the 1980's and 1990's. I had a popular act that was not only funny, it was relatively clean. That's not easy to do. I played the Laff Stop clubs, which were the best in the area.

When the comedy club craze started, there were about 25 comedy clubs nation wide, and there were about 75 comics. That meant that each of them had steady work. At the peak of the craze, there were about 4500 comedy clubs. But there were still 75 comics. The rest of them were wannabees, who had very little skill at all.

I worked with a number of the best of them. I watched Ellen DeGeneres showcase at the Laff Stop, when she was a nervous, inexperienced comic, and I could tell she was going to do well. I worked with Louie Anderson, Shirley Hemphill -- you wouldn't believe some of the people I got to know on the circuit. But none of them made any money until they got out of the clubs.

Anyway, his course might have some good ideas. How adaptable they are to magic, well, that may be another thing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
topcomedyguru
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of topcomedyguru
I'm not big on plugging my own products in forums. But here's something I am willing to do...

If anyone is interested, I am willing to do a conference call with one or more folks to answer questions in this thread -- about comedy material development (which is the SAME for any comedy related performing art) and where the money is at.

Just let me know. Also...

You may want to contact comedy magician Zach Waldman at zach [at] zachwaldman if you want a magician's perspective on my course.
chenping
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of chenping
The Killer Stand-up Comedy System is one the best online courses through which you can develop high quality stand-up comedy material within the shortest possible time.

Here are reviews you can read:

http://www.top-software-reviews.com/2010......-25.html

http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/mak......5617.htm
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Writing as a stand up and writing as a comedy magician I feel are two quite different things.

Writing comedy for a magic show the script has to accommodate the handling, misdirection, the methodology of the effect, move the tricks plot along, move the show overall along, establish and reenforce the magicians onstage character and style.... and be funny.

It would be interesting to know who this course applies to magic in any of these areas.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
This originally came out as a book in a small loose leaf binder for $99.95. I have a copy if anyone is interested.
themagicportal@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Review of Killer Stand-up Comedy System By Steve Roye. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL