We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How to learn lock picking? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Will I be able to learn the art through books or videos?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
If you want to go this route please start by reading this thread http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......8&14 Read the post by Richard Jones it has the best info.

If you still have a desire to pick locks you can learn a little from books but it is better to take a lock picking course.

A starter book: "The Visual Guide to Lock Picking" by Mark McCloud should have enough info to get you started.

You don't need to pick locks to be an escape artist and learning for any reason other than being an EA is bad, finally if you want a cheap and easy way to go about it buy a warded lock pick set and some warded locks.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
The visual guide to lock picking is an awesome guide. I would recommend knowing which types of locks you would like to learn to pick. Most handcuff locks won't be found in this book. This is more of a legitimate manual for tumblers and such.
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
Quote:
On 2002-09-03 04:59, x-treem wrote:

You don't need to pick locks to be an escape artist and learning for any reason other than being an EA is bad, finally if you want a cheap and easy way to go about it buy a warded lock pick set and some warded locks.

X
I agree, you don't need to learn to pick locks to be an EA.

I have worked as a locksmith and learned to pick locks, but I have never used the skill in any of my escape work!

Remember the audience does not care about the method... they care about being entertained!

Smile
Tony Chapparo
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Limhanchung, Although you don't need lock picking skills to be an escape artist, there is fun in learning a skill which puts your mind against the inventors, namely those who design locks. They are made so you
'can't' get them open and that is like a red rag to a bull.

I have been asked often for this material and I have just finished a new publication designed for self teaching the skill of lock picking and it comes with a cylinder and picks to practice on. PM me for details

Regards

Ian McColl (Trunk#8)
DeadRinger
View Profile
New user
long island
55 Posts

Profile of DeadRinger
I have been lock picking as a hobby in it's own right for about 6 years now and I started with the MIT lock picking guide available on the web. Lock picking has actually come in handy on numerous occasions. Also, just buy yourself a lock pick kit and practice, practice, practice... but if you want to get out of padlocks.. the best way I've found to defeat, even master combination locks is shims...
*POOF*
bilz
View Profile
New user
Cornwall, UK
88 Posts

Profile of bilz
Also a good idea to collect, open and look inside as many locks as you can. Once you see the actual workings it gives you a much better idea of what is going on inside - far better then just the diagrams you get from booklets or on the web
Learn as if you would live forever...
...live as if you would die tomorrow.
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
I found a guide to lock-picking on the internet.
It is located at: http://www.lysator.liu.se/mit-guide/mit-guide.html

IF you cannot get to this site, I have the PDF I can email you.

Good luck.
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
Pharaoh
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh
For learning lockpicking on the web take a look at the following site:

http://www.wilton.f9.co.uk/lock

Hope this helps
Mystic Martin
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Mystic Martin
I can vouch for the above link. Very good site. I've got the ebook they publish on mechanisms, techniques, and the tools you need.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I have learned lock picking from the websites myself. I used to supervise a call center, and sometimes employees would leave the keys to their cubicle lockers home. I do a lot of my own home repairs, including door locks. No escape tricks with lock picking yet. For a confidence builder try working on a desk or file cabinet first. Just a side note—if you were in the U.S., on the way to a show, carrying lock picks, you might run into trouble with the law. It's not worth it to me, so I stick with other methods.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Carrying lock picks some police consider to be burglar tools be careful. Smile
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I just thought I would add this here to fit the subject. The Indianapolis escape convention was the launch of my latest three new books.

1) Prison Key Making from an Impression: A Workshop Manual for the Escapologist
2) Picking a Prison Lock
3) Fundamentals of Lock Picking, The: A Self Teaching Guide to Picking a Pin Tumbler Lock

All inquires to http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/

Ian McColl
http://www.sympac.com.au/~imccoll/
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
463 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I have always carried a set in my briefcase and have never had any problems. It's amazing how many jams "I'm a magician" can get you out of. I have helped many people with this add on skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How to learn lock picking? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL