The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Reference letters, testimonials » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
If you don't use testimonials or don't need testimonials or don't want testimonials, please DON'T POST.

This question is to help magicians who want help learning how to promote their shows.

Question,

How do you use letters and testimonials?

How, not if, but how do you ask for them?

What markets are testimonials needed in?
* for example, if your just starting out doing school shows.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I find testimonials helpful in ALL markets.

I will routinely send a follow-up "thank you" letter. In the body of this letter I ask for a testimonial. I send a SASE along for its return. I occasionally send a sample letter, but usually my customers will have already received one when they booked me.

Usually, I preface this when at the show; when they tell me how great I was, I'll say something like, "How nice of you to say that! There are a lot of people -- just like you -- who are looking for programs but are hesitant about the quality of acts that are out there. Would you mind puting what you just said into a short note for me? It would go a long way in helping other people make their decisions."

They will usually agree to do that. Some even jot something down then and there.

How do I use them? I have sent copies of entire letters in my promo packet. I have also used excerpts from many letters in a single-sheet "Testimonails" page, as well as on my website.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
We do a lot of fundraising shows & raise substantial amounts for them & us-we do a full 2 hr show including Magic/ Illusion & Hypnosis, & show all new clients testimonials from previous clients etc

We don't ask for them specifically but most groups if you do a good show & raise funds for them -will send a very nice letter etc

-Works for us!!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I use testimonies ALL the time. I tend to take out just a few sentances or key phrases from SEVERAL relevant clients and put them at the beginning of my letters, website etc.

That way, people can see that a) people like me b) more then one person likes me

checkout http://www.funnybones.com.au/trickynick

Quotes are VERY useful. People ask me for references ALL the time and since I restructed my website to put the quotes at the TOP, I have increased web bookings.
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
From where I see, testimonials are good to have, it's always good to have more but it is not necessary the most important part of the promotion.

Like what Starrpower mentioned, just ask for it. They will be more than glad to do so.

One of my friend did 'On-The-Spot' testimonial collection: Meaning, they have an invoice for them to sign and at the bottom is a request for testimonial. Very clever.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Like what Starrpower mentioned, just ask for it. They will be more than glad to do so.

Hi,
If they really wanted to they would have done so without being asked!

I use my unsolisited genuine testemonials on my website and obn my brochures/flyers when I had the need for them
Phillip
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Whether you use references or not for newcomers to this business who use the Café to gain information on what to do to make their business work it's important for them to read both sides of any discussion. They can then make an informed decision. Even a direct question like starrpowers is going to be watched by more than just those that actually bother to post.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I think Ron started this new thread because he didn't want to have a discussion about whether testimonies, he wanted to have a discussion about how people who do use testimonies best obtain and utilize them.

I don't ask EVERYONE for testimonies, I only ask those who are enthusatically positive. I find that these people LEAP at the chance to right a few kind words because it helps them to express the joy you have given.

The markets that seem to care MOST about testimonies IME:
-School Shows (particularly educational)
-Festivals
-Tradeshows
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Well, THAT was really predictable!
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
992 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi Peter,

You'd de Man...and Dean would say! I just happen to remember when you were first posting here, you mentioned that one of the good things you liked about the Café was that folks were encouraging and helpful and didn't get on each others backs.

Come on then....live up to what drew you to here in the first place. Besides us all needing your help with almost every aspect of our magical growth.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Huh?
Sorry, Jojo, but I didn't have anything to do with ABC's missing post or anything else for that matter, other than my posting.
But I'm more than happy to pass along any knowledge that I might have and that anyone wants -- as I have done dozens, if not hundreds, of times.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Going back to a post I made recently elsewhere on the Café. I see the Café 'staff' are removing post they don't agree with again, I don't remember ABC putting anything nasty or offensive or 'off topic' regards this subject. So why have his postings been removed????
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Quote:
On 2004-11-24 11:48, RonCalhoun wrote:
If you don't use testimonials or don't need testimonials or don't want testimonials, please DON'T POST.

Ron was not being rude. There is another topic currently where people can post why they don't use testimonials. This thread is about using testimonials.

I have performed in a number of daycare centres. I use written testimonials to solicit business with other child care centres. It helps to open the door and it provides more legitimacy by demonstrating that you know how to perform appropriately for that particular audience.

If a certain type of business is pleased with your approach, style and presentation then other businesses in the same field may be interested in working with you. Lots of businesses choose to use the same services that their competitors use. This is true for many endeavors, not just magic.

1. This is a link to a thread in tricky bu......onials.

2. This one is in tricky business about li...... website So you probably need written ones first. (Smiles)

Lastly an outside link to one of the thousands of sites that g......monials

Cheers - El Lamo

"Final note: When I mention the concept of asking for testimonials in my sales training
workshops, people often express their concern about asking for testimonials. What I’ve learned is that people WANT you to succeed and they want to help you. Unfortunately, most people don’t think of automatically sending you a testimonial or endorsement. You have to ask!"
The above quote is from materials available from Kelley Robertson, President of the Robe......g Group
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am going to answer based directly on the original questions. So if I repeat what others have said, I apologize. I just foten feel that at times, I get off of answering the main question and this time I want to be sure to answer the direct post as it was stated. With that said.. here we go.

- I get testomials in many different ways. The best way sounds stupid but the best way is to simply ASK for them. That is right, many people do not understand the power of simply asking. If we ask the worst they can say is no they would rather not. BUT, in most cases they are happy to do so.

- The other thing to keep in mind is to make it as easy as possible for people to WANT to give you a reference letter or testemonial.

You can do this several ways. One way I do it is through the use of my thank you kit I give to the contact after each show I perform. It is 2 pages. The first page tells them thank you for having me and describes the importance of referrals and also tells them about my evaluation sheet.

The second page is my evaluation form and I also include a SASE. The eveluation form is only about 7 multiple choice questions. This makes it as easy as I possibly can to have people fill it out. The SASE makes it easy for them to mail it back to me. BUT on this form I also leave space at the end for them to include any comments or notes on how they felt about my performance.

In 85% of the time, they always give me information from which I can use and pull quotes from. An evaluation form is not only a great way to figure out what you did right and what you need to work on, but a great source for testemonials and easy way to get them coming back to you on a regular basis.

- Another way to get testemonials and have them coming to you easily, is through the use of an after the show thank you e-mail. I always request e-mails from my contacts and this goes into a database. People are more inclined to send an e-mail then they are to write and mail you a latter or note. This gets back to making it easy on the person top want to send soemthing to you. SOOO I allow them to do just that.

After every party I do, I send out an e-mail that simply says thank you so much for having me perform at your event this year. We all had a great time and by the looks on the kids faces, I think they did as well. I am hoping you had some great comments from the people at your event and that I made it easier for you to have the best event possible. I look forward to possibly working with you again in the future and look forward to seeing your evaluation form in the mail.

This does several things for me. It makes me look good cause I am sending thanks to them. It reminds them of the evaluation form I gave them and encourages them to fill it out and send it back in. It also hints at them to respond back with answers because I prime them to do it with my statement of, "I hope you rceived great comments and I hope I made it a success for you." These prime the contact to respond in the way I hope they will.

By sending this out, it is so easy for them to simply send an e-mail back with information. Often tims it may only be a few sentences, but I get some GREAT testemonials and quotes from this process as well.

- Another idea I use is to have my wife take pics at the show. We take action shots of the birthday kid and take shots aftrewards. We always ask permission, but to this date, no one has ever said no to it. This is AWESOME because you get great shots to use for pubicity as well as your website.

It also it a key way to get e-mail from the client without feeling awkward doing so. I tell them that I would LOVE to send them some great shots of little timmy having a great time at the party. If they give me their e-mail address, I can e-mail them out asap. They always gladly give me the information I want.

The next day I send out a few photos in the e-mail thank you that I send. People are so grateful to receiving the photos that they almost always respond in a positive light.

- Because you have these photos you now can also use them to send back out to them 3 months prior to their next years event. This is a way of them remembering the fun they had at the event last year and possibly booking you again for the following year.

These are just a few ways in which I obtain testemonials and referral letters that have really worked wonders for me. I hope they can help you as well. So gomout there and try them for yourself.

I use testemonials and letters all the time in any promotional peices that I design or design for others. Qoutes and letters work so well because it is other folks saying great things about your act and not just you bragging about them.

I use them in e-mails, letters, brchs and everywhere I can.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
992 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I just noticed that every post from ABC of Scotland is gone. Maybe someone discovered it was Mark Lewis. Just kiddin!

To Peter: I was just trying to suggest to not make the situation any worse than it was getting, in regards to ABC's posts. Nothing more than that.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
I would like to learn some good card tricks but I was hoping some of you who don't do card tricks would fill up four or five pages telling me how card tricks are stupid and that I should really learn coin tricks even thou I really don't like coin tricks.

Ron Confused

Quote:
On 2004-11-26 08:46, Billy Whizz wrote:
Going back to a post I made recently elsewhere on the Café. I see the Café 'staff' are removing post they don't agree with again, I don't remember ABC putting anything nasty or offensive or 'off topic' regards this subject. So why have his postings been removed????

Hello Billy Whizz,

Why have ABC's postings been removed?

I assume the reason ABC's post are gone is because I reported them as “off topic”.

Hi I'm Ron Calhoun.

I love Magic. I love to watch it, do it, and talking about it. I just love magic.

There is ONE BIG PROBLEM with the lines I just typed in.

Do you know what the problem is?

It is off topic.

Have you ever read the “Café rules and etiquette post”? I doubt it. You see at the time of this posting The Café has “15971 registered members.” BUT the rules and etiquette post have only been viewed 5115 times. Now you have to assume that some people have viewed the rules at least twice.

The point is that two thirds of our members don't have a clue about the “Café rules and etiquette post”?

This is a small part of the post. It has to do with posting that are “off topic”.
Quote:
Relevant Topics:

We ask that you try and keep the discussion relevant to the subject matter.

Staying on topic is a must here at the Café. Personal attacks or insulting opinions and statements regarding other posters cannot and will not be tolerated.

Please fellow Magicians go to the two links below and understand that the purpose of The Magic Café is ”Magicians helping Magicians”.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......39&0

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......39&0

Yes the reason I started this post was because I “wanted to have a discussion about how people who do use testimonies best obtain and utilize them.”

About a week ago a member called Starrpower ask for help.

Here is his request.

QUOTE: “So, how do you use reference letters? I just got the best reference letter I've gotten in years ... and it just happens to be in a market I am breaking into.

Please notice Starrpower had just received a great reference letters, in a market that was new to him and was wondering about ways to use it.

Here is the help he got.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Quote:
I don't need to ask customers for references to convince people to book me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't do any active marketing. If your shows good enough you don't need to.

When I get a nice letter thanking me for a wonderful show, and enclosing a nice picture from the birthday kid it really makes my day.

How much better can it get? I turn away more and more people away all the time because my diary fills up. If I took on any more work when would I play golf?

We also turn away more people than ever because of the things we now don't do, i.e. weddings, Christenings, outdoors, houseparties.

Both Clive and myself more or less trade on British 2 hour Birthday Party stays.

I turn more work away than I can handle. So maybe magic parties are more popular in the UK than other places. Or maybe we have more to offer in the way of entertainment.

If you are happy with your income and your social/family life balance without having to solicit/ market for work then why bother?

I always get suspicious of people who are actively marketing all the time. ...it is always a sign that the show itself is no good.

What else can I say?

If you don't use testimonials or don't need testimonials or don't want testimonials, please allow the people who want to discuss this to do so.

Please STAY ON TOPIC.

Please

If you don't use testimonials or don't need testimonials or don't want testimonials, please read and answer this post.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......17&0
------------------------------------------------------------------------
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Right on Ron. I use testemonials and reference letters all the time and I try to get them every chance I get. It is simply one of the BEST marketing tools you can have in your tool box.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2004-11-28 10:37, magic4u02 wrote:
Right on Ron. I use testemonials and reference letters all the time and I try to get them every chance I get. It is simply one of the BEST marketing tools you can have in your tool box.

Kyle

No its not, your show is your best marketing tool.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I love the old Nat King Cole track: "Test-ti-monial, that's what you are. Test-ti-monial, they're best by far. Testi-monials - make the world go round . . .

Or was that "Unforgettable"? Tell you something, this bloomin' subject will be Unforgettable!

Tony.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Billy,

Your show being good goes without saying. =) That is why I said it is ONE of the best marketing tools. But then again, I know you already knew that. hehe

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Reference letters, testimonials » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL