The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Your shorts are showing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Although I feel it is in poor taste to perform
Houdini Outstripped with a volunteer, does anyone feel it would be funny and in good taste to perform it on myself, sort of like "I will escape from this" type
of thing? Would it be tasteful to perform this for a family show?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
It's not too far removed from Professor (Charles) Cheer's Comedy Rope Routine...it ends with the performer's underwear on display for everyone to see. I've been using this for almost 20 years. I think if it's performed on yourself, it's perfectly fine.

Steve Thomas
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I perform this all the time WITH a volunteer for family audiences! (not children's shows but family crowds) and it plays very well.

I think it is less funny to do it on yourself but with a good presentation it could work!
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
282 Posts

Profile of k
What if the performer's underwear was to be a g-string and a bra (performer being a man of course!!!)?
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi David:

I see no problem in doing this with an older boy. I know David Ginn discusses this particular effect in his "School Show Presentation" book/cassette. He basically thinks the same: doing it for a younger child or any girl would be in bad taste, or questionable at best. But for an older boy (say, 10 years and up), it is fine.

Ron
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I know of a magician who does the bra trick for kid's shows and produces the bra from down the front of young girl's top.

I don't know of any complaints from any audiences but I DO know of SEVERAL parents who loved it and found it hilarous!

Go figure....
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
OK, here is your complaint.

I used to book acts other than my own. If I had ever found out that an entertainer had "Pull the Bra" out of a "young girl's front" it would have been the last time they worked for me.

Period.

Ron Calhoun
Sergeant
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of Sergeant
Humor that puts the specator in the spotlight can be a tricky thing. It really depends on your character, presentation, and venue. The best way to test if you should be using it is to ask a very trusted friend or two to watch you perform it live. Tell them you want honest feedback.

I have watched so many people use the bra trick or Ding Dong and think they were hilarious, but were actually just sophomoric at best. The performer was laughing the hardest, not the audience. But they can not see it because they are too close to the problem.

Matt King does the Card from Zipper routine. His character and performance is so disarming that no one is offended and it is hilarious. However, I watched another performer do it at a comedy club and he came off lewd and cocky. The audience was impressed that he could do it (what he focused on) but they found his trick/joke to be without class (what he did not focus on).

David, I hate to say it but it really comes down to the presentation of the trick along with your character that will determine if the trick is in poor taste or a fun hilarious bit.

Sergeant
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2004-11-25 14:34, Stevethomas wrote:
It's not too far removed from Professor (Charles) Cheer's Comedy Rope Routine...it ends with the performer's underwear on display for everyone to see. I've been using this for almost 20 years. I think if it's performed on yourself, it's perfectly fine.

Steve Thomas

I agree with Steve. To my knowledge no one has ever had a problem when I perform Professor Cheer's Rope Routine. If you pull your own underwear out, then the joke is on you, and I don't believe anyone in the audience will be embarrassed or offended. They usually just think it is hilarious.

Regan
Mister Mystery
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Ron-

I'm with you! I'd never perform it or book a guy who did.

It think it's because, as performers, we need to be oversensitive to that sort of thing. It only takes ONE complaint about that sort of thing and your rep would be ruined.
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
I get a bit angry with all the magicians out there who think that the funny stuff is just the blue-oriented stuff. Although blue stuff is funny, there are lots of other possibilities to produce comedy and laughter. All you have to do is to stop thinking in a magician's way (that is, to rely on the effect to produce comedy} and start to think like a comedian (that is, to take apart the effect and build it in a way that is funny, or add a gag, contrast etc., etc.).

Let me give an example: let's say 20th Century Boxers. You vanish the hanky, only to find it's not tied between the other two, and you find the hanky somewhere else: in a tube that you showed empty. You vanish it again to find it in another place. You repeat this around 4 times, finally finding the boxers between the hankies.
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Your shorts are showing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL