The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How can/should we help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you are hungry enough, you will find work, yes even in escapes.Having done my apprenticeship on the Club run on and off for over ten years as a dip act,standup comic and magician it was time to turn full time.I worked every day (I had to)With a mortgage and kids on the way I had NO choice.So in the early days with the Clubs booking Wednesdays,Fridays,Saturdays and Sundays for very low fee and with the cost of travel (Sleeping in the car!)I had to earn more,,,,,so I turned to the streets.Progress as a competent performer with a little more cash in my pocket sent me in the direction of the outside shows.
Today I no longer have to flog myself to death, I still work the streets (Cos I love it)I have a full season booked on the outside show scene which would continue up to my death if I choose,,,yes I could perform escapes every day If I was a younger man.If you are a worker,If you are keen,if you are desperate for the cash or the buzz you can do the same.There is nothing special about me,,,I just love what I do,and all that comes with doing it.
Remember "The doer`s will never be sayer`s and the Sayer`s will never be doer`s" Ken Brooke shouted that at me way back in 1968, I took note,,,,thanks Ken for a wonderful life.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Well Said Ken. I had a buddy when I was young that wanted to be an auctioneer. His father was one and his grandfather too. One day he called me to go to the hospital as his father was in a car wreck. Survived but laid up for a year. with no other source of income I helped his mom and him run the auction house. One day he woke up and he was an auctioneer. Two weeks later he was a d**n fine one too. Word got around about the wonder kid and he doubled the traffic flow through the house.
Can and does happen when the pressure is on.

BTW that trailer of yours is way cool.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
930 Posts

Profile of Riley
Well, you younger guys should listen to the comments made by Mark Tripp and Kondini. There are no short cuts to experience. I have been privieged to see Kondini working - and it is easy to see why he is a successful performer. Ken Brooke learned his lessons the hard way so that his pupils need not do the same!

I am not a full time performer, but I enjoy performing and I took note of all the wise advice given to me by Ken Brooke (and others who had earned the right to give advice). My performance diary is currently up to December 2006, much of it repeat work. As Kondini says, if you enjoy what you do, and you do it properly, your audience will also enjoy your work and you will work! . . but -- there are no short cuts. It if gets the reaction - keep it in. If it doesn't, get rid.

Ken Brooke also said he would never sell a magician's prop to an performer, and he would never sell a performer's trick to a magician! That does not mean to say that Ken was not a salesman - but it is possible to know what kind of customer you have, by what they buy!

One last point - if you want new material, read the old books!!!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Advice well given.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Riley,,,,,If you want new material,read the old books!!!
That advice gentlemen is priceless.
A Merry Xmas to all our readers!!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
And a Happy New Year. also let me be the First to wish Evrey One a Happy Easter Smile
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Read this again!!!

Quote:
On 2004-12-24 17:20, Riley wrote:

Ken Brooke also said he would never sell a magician's prop to an performer, and he would never sell a performer's trick to a magician! That does not mean to say that Ken was not a salesman - but it is possible to know what kind of customer you have, by what they buy!

One last point - if you want new material, read the old books!!!

There is so much truth in there the light is blinding!

In contains the truth about performing for laymen, and the reason so many magic shops are closing.

I bow to your wisdom and insight!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Smile sounds almost like a confusious sayings.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2255 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
I agree with everything here, but remember that experience has to start somewhere. Practise is the key word to my success. No practise, no experience. No experience, no shows. No shows, no need to bother.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Just practice and think of ideas then try it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » How can/should we help? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL