The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Conventions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ziggy
View Profile
New user
SW Washington State
51 Posts

Profile of Ziggy
I am not sure if or when this was covered, but as the search engine is off line at the moment, I was wondering about other magicians experiences at magic conventions, the good the bad and the ugly.

My first convention was a Tannen's Jubilee, the overall experience was "magical" I got to live magic for 3 days nonstop. The dealer room made my wallet a whole lot thinner. The lectures inspired me to learn more magic then I ever could master. I got to hang out with other magicians, ask them questions, share tips and the like.
The only downside for me was when checking out, the hotel had a double occupancy policy, which I did not understand, so I ended up paying for my room for two people (almost $700, ouch), even though I was alone. No one at Tannens had explained this to me before hand.

I attended more conventions since then and my wish is to attend a FISM convention
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.."
Oscar Wilde
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Conventions are certainly a place to explore all areas of magic. Recently at the Harvest of Magic in Atlanta, there were magicians for almost every style or preference. Conventions are a great place to explore your own interests and expand on those which you don't encounter every day.
Katmando
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Katmando
How manconventions are there?

What are some of the big ones out there.

Thank you <><
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
There are many conventions. Usually they are held to accomodate members regionally.
Ziggy
View Profile
New user
SW Washington State
51 Posts

Profile of Ziggy
What are some of the big ones out there?

In the US there are the annual conventions of SAM (Society of American Magicians), the IBM convention. Tannens usually has their Jubilee that is pretty well attended.

Also check out the list at http://allmagic.com/listings/directory/Events/Conventions/
Oscar Wilde
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The Pacific Coast Association of Magicians also puts on a convention every year. Up here, we also have an annual convention put on by the Canadian Association of Magicians.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
We have one coming in Feb. that we have every year in Columbus. It is Magi-Fest
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
Woofledust
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
76 Posts

Profile of Woofledust
Try Craig Dickson's Magicalendar at http://allmagic.com/magicshow/calendar/events.cgi. It has many of the conventions listed by date along with other magic happenings. "Magic Magazine" also has (or at least had) an annual listing in one of the spring issues. And of course you can find information right here on the Magic Café, usually in "The Marquee Says..." area.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Great info Woofledust!

I too, was going to suggest any magic mag such as Genii, Magic and the Linking Rings always has usually full page ads of upcoming conventions around the country.

I would highly recommend anyone interested to go to one!
Ziggy
View Profile
New user
SW Washington State
51 Posts

Profile of Ziggy
Has anybody here ever been to Hank Lee's Cape Cod Conclave? I am thinking of attending next year but I am hesitant for varies reasons
Oscar Wilde
Jeremy Greystoke
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Virginia
58 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Greystoke
I've gone to all sizes of conventions, and I prefer the smaller ones, though the large conventions do have points in their favor. The recent MAGIC Live! convention in Vegas was a great example of a relatively large convention (800+ attendees) which felt rather small and intimate. I think a large part of that might have been due to the clever way the close-up shows were structured.

I've always enjoyed the Abbott's Get-Togethers and well as their Close-Up Convention. The smaller regional conventions are also a lot of fun. I've always heard favorable reports of the Columbus Magi-Fest, and the Gatlinburg Winter Carnival of Magic in Tennessee each March is a great little gathering.

One of the absolute best conventions I ever attended was a little weekend gathering sponsored by the Cuckoo's Nest Magic Shop in Pittsburgh quite some years ago. The performers and lecturers included Jerry Andrus, Darwin Ortiz, David Roth, George Schindler, and Harry Lorayne. It was a jam-packed couple of days, and one I still remember vividly....

Jeremy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
If you are interested in focusing on Children Entertainment, School Shows, and Libraries, then attend KIDabra Conference in August Get on their mailing list for more information.

It is the only convention which primary focus is children and family entertainment run by the pros in this field!
Dennis Michael
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
There is a magic festival in Appleton, Wisconsin called Houdini Days that is wonderful. Has performances and lectures from people like Michael Amar, Jeff McBride, Mark Wilson...The website says they aren't going to have one next year, but that has changed. I am going to be helping to organize it now.
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
276 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
The Columbus Magi-Fest web site is at http://www.magifest.org/

Bruce
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
Wendy Wylde
View Profile
New user
Littleton, Colorado
61 Posts

Profile of Wendy Wylde
Colorado has "Magic in the Rockies" in Fort Collins, every September, and it is a wonderful convention. It's gotten some great reviews. Some of last year's headliners were Banachek, Stephen Bargatze, Rafael Benatar, Tom Burgoon, and Barrie Richardson.

If you're going to be near Colorado in early September, I highly recommend checking it out. I have learned so much from attending, and have been pleasantly surprised by how nice everyone involved always is.

Wendy
"Love is not all wine and roses.
Sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese."
- Tim Minchin
Ziggy
View Profile
New user
SW Washington State
51 Posts

Profile of Ziggy
In Fort Collins? My sitster lives there, I went to school in Fort Collins years ago. Looks like I need to visit my sister in September Smile thanks for the info
Oscar Wilde
Ziggy
View Profile
New user
SW Washington State
51 Posts

Profile of Ziggy
Do they have a website? I can only find old sites from conventions in the past
Oscar Wilde
Wendy Wylde
View Profile
New user
Littleton, Colorado
61 Posts

Profile of Wendy Wylde
Quote:
On 2005-01-11 14:29, Ziggy wrote:
Do they have a website? I can only find old sites from conventions in the past

Hi Ziggy,

I don't think there's new info up yet, but it sounds like you've found the website where it'll be posted. Keep checking back and as they get it together, that's where they'll put it.

Be sure to come up and say "Hi"! Everyone wears nametags, so it can be easier meeting up with people. It's a lot of fun! Hope you come, and I hope you enjoy it!

Wendy
"Love is not all wine and roses.
Sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese."
- Tim Minchin
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1159 Posts

Profile of Banachek
I agree, the folks at the Magic In The Rockies are wonderful and put on a heck of a great convention, well worth taking the trip to.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
Viano
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Viano
I have attended all of Hank Lee's Conclaves as well as most of the others east of the Mississippi. Hank's is one of my favorites. Hank seems to find the "new stars" a year or two before they play all the other conventions. It is also small enough to be fairly intimate.

Viano
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Conventions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL