The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Conventions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
conjurerchris
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of conjurerchris
We are having a GREAT 3 day convention in Atlanta called the Anatomy of Magic.
Featuring Jeff McBride, Shoot Ogawa, Michael Ammar, Michael Finney, Doc Eason, Cellini, Jon Racherbaumer, Tony Chapek, Eric Evans, Dan and Dave Buck (The Buck Twins), Rocco, Tomas Medina, and many, many more! Two stage shows and a close-up show.
http://www.anatomyofmagic.com

Chris Finley
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Conjurerchris,
This sounds wonderful. Hope I can make it.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I don't make it to many conventions.

They have been great experiences.

Back in 76(my first) I was able to stay up late with no consequences.

The last two over the last 3 years, I had to
1. Go to bed a lot earlier
2. Avoid places with smoking magicians.(Especially cigars)

I hope to be in Boston in July for the 2005 Society of American Magicians Annual Big Convention. (If the creek don't rise)

As far as $$, I am a lot more careful with my entertainment/Nearly Normal Budget.

Many of my early investments have long paid for themselves. The $200 Rock and Roll Mariionette(bought in 87) would be much much more if purchased today. It is used in most of my programs.

Of course I also have drawers full of ideas, and not quite developed. I love to go back into them and bring them into the light once in a while.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
476 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there, The PCAM convention was mentioned and its my favorite by far. Its a great convention that travels the Pacific corridor and I was able to put it on last year in its birth place of Seattle. This years PCAM is a rare treat...Shawn Farqhuar is hosting it on his NCL cruise ship that he performs on. Please visit http://www.magichampion.com for more details. Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Conventions can be fun when you are young. But, after a time, it's the same old thing over and over again.
About the only good thing at conventions, to my mind now, is meeting old friends and making new ones.
Leave at least five years between visits to the same convention; it usually takes that long to truly change and for something new to rear its head.
For my money, the IBM international (I've been to a couple) and the SAM international(haven't made one yet, but from what I've been told) are the best.
Many of the others are just ego-stroking for a few!
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
467 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Peter...I disagree with you. Conventions are not about 'ego stroking'. This is an opportunity for magicians to learn and have fun and I don't believe you have to wait five years for things to change. If you do you then you are missing out - If you go to one convention a year or two or three and only pull one idea that is usable then it's worth it..who knows - that "idea" might just change your attitude about magic or enhance your act that takes you to the next level. I don't think I have ever been to a convention that I didn't learn something from and especially for the younger folks just getting started this is a terrific way to learn about magic and magicians..what to do and what not to do.
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Rick Fisher writes: "Peter...I disagree with you. Conventions are not about 'ego stroking'."

Actually, I didn't say that. What I said was, many conventions are ego-stroking for the few.

And there's a big difference between what I said and the words you tried to put in my mouth (yuck! unsanitary! <G>)

I also said that it takes about five years for something new to rear its head; I stand by that; I cringe at the thought of the number of bozos I've seen pulling doves out of their shoes.

I agree with Jay Marshall, who saw the ideal convention as:

Three days;
No shows;
Open bar.
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
I have been to dozens and dozens of magic conventions over the last 30 years--in fact, I just returned today from a fine, little convention in Eureka Springs, AR.

I have attended regional conventions as well as international ones, and I have enjoyed the great majority of them. Some I have attended as a dealer, but, most of the time I have just been a simple conventioneer.

It is understandable that large international conventions with hundreds of attendees will seek out resort and major metropolitan venues. I have begun to avoid a lot of these as, almost invariably, I feel overcharged for the room and the meals. Some of the best IBM and SAM conventions I have attended where in smaller locales, such as Grand Rapids, MI or Evansville, IN. The rooms were quite inexpensive, and the locals acted like they appreciated our patronage.

Unfortunately, the powers that be, have elected to locate most such present day conventions in places like Boston and Reno, where one need not anticipate a bargain.

Luckily, the folks in Gatlinburg, Batavia, Eureka Springs, Hatboro, etc., still know what it takes to put on a great and affordable convention. Long may they prosper.

Ed Hutchison
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
Hamilton
View Profile
New user
Maine
90 Posts

Profile of Hamilton
Well my son Duncan and I just returned from Hank Lee's Cape Cod Conclave.

I have to say that for us, not quite as jaded as Mr. Marucci, it was great, but I certainly can understand his point that it would get old and tiring after awhile.

But from our perspective, although it was in fact a quite tiring, it was a schedule full of great wonder.

Duncan and I will be going back again next year for sure.

Thanks Hank.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
In your opinion. What are the top three convention to attend?

It looks like there is a lot of fine conventions available, unfortunatly I have never made it to a single one.

I have a dual agenda.
1) I want to have the experience.
2) I want to introduce/sell a new magic trick I've created (not a booth).

I have limited funds and may not be able to make it to all three so please list your three in ranking order; 1)Absolute must, 2)Next best, 3)make it if you can.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
*I.B.M. - is in Reno and would be my first choice because of location and a great lineup.
*S.A.M. - is in Boston and has a a nice lineup and looks like a nice setting. I really enjoyed their New Orleans convention years ago.
*Local - For me it was Tannen's in the Catskills, NY. Local conventions and magic fundays are more inimate and can be very rewarding.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Jaz,

Thank you. Any more opinions or does everyone else agree?
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
175 Posts

Profile of natswift
Hello all,

I'm a Prestodigitator from Fort Collins! Here is our website, has lots of info on this years convention.

http://prestodigitators.com/

Click on the "Magic in the Rockies" link on the left.

some of the headliners this year are...

Jon Allen
Michael Ammar
Walter "Zaney" Blaney
Tony Clark
Dana Daniels
Doc Eason
Michael Finney (added 05/11/05)
Nathan Kranzo
Max Maven
Eric Mead
JC Wagner

Hope to see you all here in September!!
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
Ryan S
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Ryan S
There is also a great convention for the Mid-west magicians held in Indianapolis, IN July 8th and 9th. Check out http://www.magic36.com for more info and there line-up. Cheers,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Conventions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL