We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT and light (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
I just wanted to start a topic on invisible thread and light.

Do you guys have any recommendations of the kind of lighting that is best suited to invisible thread?

I'd like to hear some of ur experiences with thread and the kind of conditions you have performed in.

About the only thing I know is don't perform under direct hard lights, such as the sun. Any other tips?

Oh and I just recieved the Leclair DVD and was watching the performances, and the places he was performing in seem to have heaps of light, especially the performances where the bright light from the camera was on, and still the people didn't see a thing? How is this possible, different type of thread? They were in on it? Maybe because the camera was there they felt pressured to go along with it? I don't know. Do you guys know any thing about it?

I'd use the search function but at the time of post the function was down.

thanks in advance
Aaron Farrugia
Katmando
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Katmando
I heard something about fluorescent lights being bad.

Does the color of thread have anything to do with which lighting conditions are present? It seems everyone just uses black.

As for searching use google. It is not the best but it works. Just try something like this site:themagiccafe.com invisible thread lighting

Later <><
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
I'd say it does, the IT that came with the Leclair DVD has a sleight blue tinge to it, I found it to be that little bit more invisible then the hard black.
Aaron Farrugia
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
A few times I've tried to practice with IT at the hospital with bright fluorescent lighting and it is very noticeable from any angle. A real downer.
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Yeah I hear fluressant lighting is bad for IT
Aaron Farrugia
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
As soon as you reach 50 posts, you'll have access to one of the "Secret Sessions" forums that deals specifically with IT. You should find more in depth discussion there.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Oh! Cool I can't wait
Aaron Farrugia
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Pekei does some amazing things with IT and the thread he uses is blue. Although I don't use blue IT myself (it's just too hard to find), I do use blue spotlighting whenever I perform with IT on stage.

In addition, you have to be very concerned with the position of your lighting. If you are using the Leclair method, the strongest light should be behind you. Then, any reflection of the thread bounces back towards you rather than the spectators.

The strong backlighting also allows your own body to create a shadow, which is the best contrast lighting condition possible for IT.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Really? I've heard very mixed things about back lighting, some say it's better, ive heard the same reason as what you said and I've also heard that its a big no no because it makes it as visible as neon lights

So I don't know what to believe.
Aaron Farrugia
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
Besides flourescent lights making the thread almost glow some neon lights (ie beer advertisement) signs will do the same. The regular IT is also far less visible than the elastic. I'd like to know more about coloring the elastic thread. Anyone got any hints?
Steve
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Well I read in a few books and the magician in my local shop said to just color it with a black texter but don't color it fully you color bits of it randomly, you color a long bit a short bit I dunno how to explain it here but look below, imagine I have a piece of elastic IT , the dark bits are the bits you color and the bits that you cant see are the bits you leave::
___ __ __ _______ _ ___ _ __ ___ __ __ _ ___ __ _ _

you just do random stripes like that apparantly makes it heaps less visible and breaks up the light.
Posted: Dec 14, 2004 6:21pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoops, I'll just add that the white bits are the bits you color black, I forgot that the text was white lol.
Aaron Farrugia
tiberius magus
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tiberius magus
Yes, I use the alternating pattern on my IT and I also agree that the blue is a slightly better colour. My compromise is that I use black IT but colour segments of it with a blue sharpie(not that much difference, but some). Either a significant number of people are just very polite, or I've never been caught with this setup. Then again, I tend to watch my lighitng carefully, wear dark busy patterns, etc. I suppose I'm a little overcautious, but seeing a thread once might ruin levitations forever for a spectator.

sincerely,
tiberius magus
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Fluorescent Lights where I work make it nearly Impossible to do most thread effects. Loops work okay though.
I've never had much trouble with sunlight though. Except in cases where the sun may be coming thriough the window at a harsh angle. In that case I just step out of the light.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » IT and light (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL