The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Making short cards (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I was not sure where to post this, but does anyone know where to get a card cutting device. One that will make short cards. I need the entre card shortened not just a corner. I have been cutting them myself with scissors, but that does not always give me an even cut.

thanks,

David
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
A print trimmer works well. They can be found at most office or photography supply stores.

Not much needs to be trimmed. You may find you won't even have to re-round the corners.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Several places sell a small corner trimmer for about $15-$18. I think I saw one one the Wizardcraft website. I have found this to be excellent - certainly more consistent than scissors.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
There is a genuine antique trimmer and a corner cutter
on ebay right now. Expect to shell out several C notes for the two of them.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
David;

Check this link to see how to properly make a short card:
http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/Card/Trimmer.html

Jim
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
catch you later

Clarioneer
Mr. X
View Profile
Elite user
U.K.
440 Posts

Profile of Mr. X
Another way around this is to buy Bicycle Seconds. You will find that some have been off-cut to a larger size. Compare your Seconds to your regular decks and quite often you will find a card from the regular deck can be used as an all around short card.

Think about the potential for a moment.

I've made up a few sets of Marlo's Lost Intergrated deck just to start with.

I think I might regret this post later and delete it.
So much to do. So little time.
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Hocus-Pocus is presently selling "Line-Lo Card Cutter" for approx. $100.00. It has five different ways to "cut" a deck. They are: short, end stripper,belly, narrow, and stripper.

It doesn't come with a corner rounder, but I have kornershort anyway.

The directions state that it is designed for medium use. I've only cut a few cards since I only received it yesterday.

It's approx. 8 1/2 inches long and 4 1/2 inches wide.

It looks like the paper cutters that are used at schools.

It's designed to be used with regular poker cards.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Does it have a huge metal blade that cuts in one motion, or is it the type that have a small blade that runs up and down the thing?

I mean, the ones that are used at schools last forever..... how would you go about replacing the one on this unit?
jacob boehme
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jacob boehme
It is like what he said, is it Malini or Rosini, I think - the break must be as big as a house - for to get it wrong is worst.

So when I am making the short cards I sometimes just use guillotine (not like in French Revolution, ha ha !!!) but for paper cutting and cut off maybe one or two inches.

Then no way Jose can you miss it. Like Rosini said, "I will wait a week if people tell me to".
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
So am I the only one who just uses SCISSORS?!
10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
Steven's Magic Emporium has just listed a full deck of short cards. You'll get 52 short cards and you just substitute one card from the short corner deck for the one in your regular deck. I would imagine a full deck of short cards should last well over a year. Smile
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
On my CD called "Scruffy", I detail a methodology that you can use
to make a key card that is VASTLY superior to the short card.
Most of the stuff needed you can buy at a drug store for less than 15 bucks--
and you don't use scissors!

http://www.cardguy.net/products.htm

Steven Youell
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Short decks - well I personally prefer the narrow deck I make myself - are a very secret weapon!

Perform with a stripper and get caught; do the same trick with a narrow deck, and (after palming away the dirty card) you'll see that nobody will see anything!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Syouell thanks, I am sold.
A tip for plastics is a nail foil, not metal, but I don't know what you call them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
van
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of van
The templates that come with the line-Lo card cutter let you cut the cards consistantly the same. I cut a deck to belly strip the aces the other night in under 15 minutes.(you have to cut every card in the deck narrow and the belly cards 4 times) Works like a charm.

There will be a video and/or DVD available later demonstrating how to use the cutter and some neat effects with the different types of decks.

I have no financial interest in this product.
Van
Later Ya'll

Van
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
That's a great web page, Jim, thanks for letting us know about it. I love your card gear.

A cheap way to make a corner rounder (if you're poor like me and this is the one I use as the short card is one of my favorite locators) is to get a piece of thin walled brass tubing the same diameter and grind off one end leaving a quarter of the diameter and use the "punch" with a hammer to trim the card. Costs less than a buck. Make sure you match the inside radius. This works well for a few cards a month and you can't beat the price. Enjoy!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am sure if you took a deck into a small printers they would cut it with an electric guilotine for next to nothing. Not sure if they could round corner thrm.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I just use an emery board (Nail file) and I short them like it is explained in Dai Vernon's Ultamate Secrets of card magic...

I favor a short card over a crimp in effects like Sam The Bell Hop. Crimps can fail but a short card is 100% and works...

I have been using it on and off this way since I got my first copy of Ultamate secrets back when it was first published. I consider Vernon's short card work as one of the great secrets in all magic.

Ultamate secrets of card magic is worth many times the price of the book for the ideas and the way Vernon used a short (Key) card...

Don't tell anyone!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
A thick and short card is about the easiest locator imaginable. It's impossible to miss.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Making short cards (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL