The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do you ask your assistants, stage hands, etc. to sign confidentiality agreements? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
And if so, is there a standard form that you use? Or do you just make up your own saying something like, "I,______ will not reveal any of the secrets..." or something like that? Has anyone ever tried getting a lawyer to draw something up for you? Thanks in advance!
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
IMHO you NEED to get a lawyer to draft one to make sure that you are protected. Seek out an Intellectual Property attorney in your area to help you out.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
SECRECY AGREEMENT

The undersigned understands that in the course of my employment and/or privilege of having access to proprietary drawings, documents, equipment and know-how of (magician's name) and other behind the scenes aspects of the show. I may learn the secrets and that a great deal of time energy, and thousands of dollars have been spent in their development. I further understand that the future and success of the show and the livelihoods of you and our staff depend entirely on protecting these secrets.

In consideration of my employment and/or access, I promise never to use or to reveal in any manner, directly or indirectly these secrets, methods or anything I may have heard or read that pertains to The Magic of (So and So). in whole or in part at any time, now or in the future to any person, including friends, relatives,media, associates, or anyone else.

The secrets of The Magic of (So and SO) are extremely valuable, legally protectable proprietary rights of (so and so) and I fully understand that should I breach this promise, I will be liable for all damages suffered by (So and so).

Signed_______________

ABSOLUTELY NO FRIENDS OR RELATIVES ARE ALLOWED BACKSTAGE BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER THE PERFORMANCE.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Well considering my assistant and partner in my shows is my wife, sho is also a magician, having her sign any paper would only get me in the dog house and sleeping on the sofa. hehehe

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Well it will cover your back....

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Blitzen
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of Blitzen
Secrecy agreements are much more complicated and need to be tailored to state laws. This is really an area where you need to find an employment attorney or IP attorney to set up a whole scheme of protecting your secrets. Generally, you got to set things up so that you can get an injuction as soon as possible when an assistant leaves. Damages are very hard to prove in trade secret cases and really are almost moot since once the information is out, it can't be recaptured.
Steve
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
Early on, I had everyone sign an agreement that I wrote myself. Then, I used a modified version of the one Abb Dickson published in "The Linking Ring" years ago. Now I have an attorney take care of everything for me. Bottom line, I've never had trouble using any of these methods. People tend to take them pretty seriously as long as you do.
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
Your best bet is have an attorney draft one for you. That way they can have one on file in case of any legal problems. I am lucky that way because my father is a retired attorney. Smile
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
It's a waste of time.

How are you going to enforce it? Are you really going to go throught the time and expense to take them to court? And who are they going to tell, their wife? Their drinking buddy? Who really cares if *they* know? They're at the same level as the roustabouts themselves; they don't care about magic secrets beyond casual cocktail conversation, and nobldy's gonna really remember or understand most of it, anyway..

Besides, how many of you are really using original, "secret" methods?

I think it's a waste of time, money, and energy that can better be spent putting on a better show.
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
I totally agree with Starrpower. Most of these so-called secrets aren't yours anyway. And successfully suing and collecting for damages is near impossible. These things are unenforceable. The best thing they do is act as a deterrent.
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I have to agree that the secrecy agreement is largely useless and in fact, may create more mania to know the valuable secrets than if you just do your act and roll on. Not many theater staff really care. As to your assistant, if he or she cannot be made to hold the value of magic as an attitude and believe in the need not to blab the secrets in casual conversation...time for a new assistant! honestly, the only folks I would use this with is the backstage crew at a magic convention! Cant trust those cats!

-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
While I agree that it's nearly impossible to enforce, if it works as a deterrent I think it's better than nothing.
Heinz Weber
View Profile
New user
Austria
83 Posts

Profile of Heinz Weber
Has anyone tried to use some kind of fixed amount in case of violation, let's say USD 5000? it's easier to enforce, at least here in europe, you don't have the problem to show evidence for your actual damage.

Best Regards
Heinz
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Good tip. In America we call that "liquidated damages".
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I use a secrecy agreement, and I agree that it is basically useless. I have it written with very strong language and it is mostly to scare the heck out of the stage crew. My secrecy agreement is most useful in keeping my crew from getting the bright idea of producing a TV special exposing magic secrets (since most of my crew also work in film and TV).

Brock Edwards
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
A secrecy Agreement is Not useless. If so the exact same one that was written at the top of this forum is David Copperfield's. WORD for WORD! If they were useless why would he use them. Now Copperfield has the money and resources to enforce this but do you think he will?? I don't If anything else I think they are nothing more than a scare tatic to help your volunteers, stage crew, etc understand the importance and respect one should give when helping in this type of act. IMHO
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
Do you ask your assistants, stage hands, etc. to sign confidentiality agreements?

NO
MattTheKnife
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of MattTheKnife
If they work for me then they sign one... company policy and absolutely no exceptions are made. If they have a problem with it then they can work elsewhere. By making it a blanket policy no one complains about it.

Mine was created by my attorney specifically for myself and my organization. And yes, I also use a specific damage amount.

-Matt (TK)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do you ask your assistants, stage hands, etc. to sign confidentiality agreements? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL