The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lie Detector (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Ok, what's are your favorite lines for the Lie Detector?
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
This will be a thread I'll sure follow closely! Let's hope it gets the hits! I'd love to hear what diection the users are going in...

I like the Qs from left field the best. Like when talking about a specific subject, whatever it is...throw in the

"Did you put on clean socks today?"

I also like the 'Witness Protection' questions.

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
I'm putting together a children's routine where the lie detector will be my central 'running gag.' I announce that the detector is a 'voice stress analyzer' that can detect lies merely by the tone of one's voice.
The detector will function 'erratically' while using it to "screen" my first child volunteer with the usual questions:

"What's your name?"
"What's your wife's name?"
"When was the last time you washed your hands?"
"Are you enjoying the show?"
etc.

I eventually become exasperated with the detector; making comments like:
"I don't deserve this!" [BUZZZZZ!]
"Oh, I've had enough of this!" [BUZZZZZ!]

I then put the detector aside and turn it 'off.'

Thereafter, it will 'randomly' go off throughout the show in response to statements like:

"This next effect is truly amazing!" [BUZZZZ!]

"It took me years to learn how to do that." [BUZZZ!]

And finally finishing with something like:

"Thank you, you've been a wonderful audience!" [BUZZZ!]

Additionally, my lie detector is a 'two-stage' device; for small 'fibs,' a single red lamp lights and a moderate 'BUZZZ' is heard. For 'whoppers,' it lights up like a Christmas tree and a siren goes off.

Still working out the details on what questions to ask.

/I Also will be following this thread closely!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Smile

Chris.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I noticed so far that a little goes a long way...a fast routine to 'screen' the volunteers and then like 'Wards Back' says...put it aside for the occasional 'beep' later in the act.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I too use my throughout my show.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Which is the best and most versatile lie detector? I've been looking at these for a while, and basically all I want is a large red button or a red light bulb that can go "BUZZZZ" at my command.
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Christian:

I made my own.

I was considering 'Baxt's Lantern,' but a large camping lantern just didn't have the right feel for my routine. I too was looking for just a small black box with a red lamp and buzzer. After exhaustively searching the internet, I came to the conclusion that nobody really made what I was looking for.

I started with a basic 2-channel UHF remote control unit (the transmitter is just like an automobile keychain remote; small and easy to palm) and added the 'bells & whistles' myself. However, I had so much fun putting it together, I wound up adding in a two-stage buzzer and light-array, as well as a custom 'lie meter.'

For those interested in building their own, you need virtually no electronics experience; just a little soldering. If all you want is a small black box with a red lamp and buzzer, here's what you need:

From 'Hobby Engineering.com:'
2-Channel UHF Remote Control unit ($42.99 pre-assembled)
From Radio Shack:
Black Plastic Project Box (6x4x2) ($5.99)
12-volt Lamp Holder w/ Red Bezel ($2.99)
12-volt 300-500Hz buzzer ($4.99)
4-Cell AA Battery Box (2 each @ $1.99)
DPDT Slide Switch ($2.99)
Miscellaneous wire & solder

Total Cost: Approximately $65.00 (U.S.)

As already mentioned, I went kind of overboard on my own and added a panel meter ($12.99), a second buzzer/siren ($6.99), and 5 extra lamps ($2.99 each). I also put recharcheable NiMh batteries with a charging plug into it.
Since the UHF remote control supports 2-channels (there are two buttons on the transmitter), I decided to make use of the second function for an even louder, brighter 'BUZZZZ!' for "really big lies."

btw Christian, with the current dollar/Euro exchange rate, you should be able to build one for next to nothing! Smile

Chris.
matite
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of matite
Wards Back,

Thank you for your story... lots of great tips!

I too had been thinking about how to make my own as I really didn't like the lantern look.
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Matite:

No problem.

If anyone is actually interested in building their own, I can provide additional details on the components including model/stock numbers.

Also, I'm looking into incorporating a 'toe-switch' into mine so my hands will remain free during the performance. (Larry Davidson recently PM'd me with info on reliable toe-switches.)

Chris.
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I wont build my own - mainly because I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to building electronic devices. But - I have a good friend who's both a magician and knows what's up and down on a screwdriver. If you could send me the details for building one, I'm sure I can persuade him to make one for me.
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
For those Café members who PM'd me regarding how to build a 'Lie Detector' I have placed the information elsewhere in the Café. Here it is:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......37&0

Good Luck!

Chris.
Matthew Bennett
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
79 Posts

Profile of Matthew Bennett
I can't get to that link. I have to wait awhile I guess. I think I read that I have to post 60 times...

Matt
Matthew A Bennett

fixmytricks.com

twitter.com/matthewabennett
facebook.com/matthew.alan.bennett
matite
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of matite
Just finished making my own lie detector. It is a box with a buzzer and red lights controlled by UHF remote.

I am amazed at how well it works. The operating range is about 50m - much more than I will ever need.

I usually visit my parents house to try out any new effects. I did a few tricks then produced my lie detector stating it was "the pinnacle of lie detector technology". Then I stated "this next trick is excellent" BUZZZ! "Ok, this next trick is great" BUZZ! (Exasperated) "Ok, ok, this trick is really crappy!". Finally no buzz is heard!!!

Then I said "I have practiced this trick everyday..." BUZZ! "well, I praticed it a few times. BUZZ! "Ok, Ok, I just opened the package a few minutes ago". No buzz!

Anyway, you get the idea, my parents absolutely loved it. We all laughed ourselves silly!

The total cost of parts was about $30 (Australian... I already had a UHF remote) from my local Jaycar (electronics) store. Time to construct was less than 30 minutes.

Thanks again Wards Back, although I didn't use your plans, without your post I would not of found the motivation to make my lie detector.
magicmonkeyman
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyman
Cool ideas I'm thinking of making one but until now I didn't have the time I will start at the weekend.
Wards Back
View Profile
New user
Baker's Acres, Ca
83 Posts

Profile of Wards Back
Matite:

Yeah, the remote is the only 'expensive' part; the rest of the 'odds & ends' only cost around $20.00(US).

Although there may be cheaper remotes available, I used the 2-channel remote unit primarily because it is 'bullet-proof;' the relays on it are rated for full 110 VAC. Also, due to the 'rolling code' nature of the unit, each remote transmitter has to be 'learned' by the receiver, so there is virtualy no chance that mere RF interference will set the detector off inadvertently.

Glad to hear your 'Detector' went over well!

Chris.
matite
View Profile
New user
Australia
62 Posts

Profile of matite
Since posting above I have used my Lie Detector with another group of people and it went over very well.

People seem to really like it but as stated before you must not over do it.

I ordered a two channel remote as the one I am using now is only 1 channel. This will mean I can have a two stage effect (as Wards Back mentioned).
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Does anyone have any more lines to use with the lie detector? I would love to see this thread pick up where it started. : )
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
My favorite line is after I have my wife deliver the cards, I ask the kid, "Isn't she pretty?" Half the time he say's "yes", and I buzz him. My wife gives the kid a dirty look. Sometimes he says "no"' and I still buzz him. I then add that, "He'll be smooth with the ladies." Often times they will just sit there and not know what to say. This is funny, too. I like to use an older kid, and I ask him, "Is your favorite TV show Barney?" It buzzes him and it gets a big laugh from the audience. I also use the good trick, ok trick line mentioned earlier. It gets a god response.

If you don't want to take the trouble to build one, I had Randy Kappe build mine. I am pretty sure that he is the one that designed the Baxt lantern. It has a collander and a very loud buzzer with a red light. It is very nice. It also has a toe switch that is reliable. The only problem with a toe switch is that if you do a long show it will get shuffled around in your shoe and it may not work by the time you do the routine.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Is there any way to build a smaller more portable unit about the size of a deck of cards or cigarette pack?...Maybe with a single 9-volt battery?.....

I think I saw these for sale years ago for like $200
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-01-18 11:00, socalmagic wrote:
"...The only problem with a toe switch is that if you do a long show it will get shuffled around in your shoe and it may not work by the time you do the routine.

There's a solution to that problem. PM me if you want more info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lie Detector (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL