The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Lock picking for beginners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
I'm as new to this as possible and wanted to know what o get to start lock picking for handcuffs. I've been looking at cannons and they have some cool stuff but everything is " the best". So I wanted to also know what helped you the most. Thanks guys. I also vote you the nicest forum guys. Your such a community and respectfull to everybody. Thanks
Also, What type of handcuff should I get. I was looking at some on ebay. Are official police handcuffs good for me? Should I start with a gimmick or will that lead me into bad habits? Thanks for your wisdom.
H
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
For handcuffs; this may sound weird, but the best thing to get is a pair of handcuffs, to start with chain linked Smith & Wesson model 90 type for preference, or anything built along those lines (generic double lock, standard key), though beware of really cheap or "novelty" cuffs that'll just hurt your wrists. Then have a good look at them to figure out how they work. Once you've figured out that pair, go on to another type, either with a different locking mechanism (look at the key) or a more challenging link (hinge links and solids provide a more physical challenge with the same locking mechanism). The off-duty policeman who got me started built his knowledge because he'd always examine every new pair of cuffs he was issued with in case he was ever locked in his own cuffs by a suspect.

I won't say too much more on an open forum, but PM me if you want some more specific starter points.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Houdini Man, I woould say that Ian McColl's books on handcuff picking has helped me the most with my cuff picking. You can get them from the Cannon's at http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.net. Norm Bigelow's books are also excellent,and you can get these from Shawn Ness at http://www.ealib.org But of course I do agree with Helen that constant practice is the best teacher.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You can also buy a few books on picking handcuffs.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Experience is the best way to learn. I am in South Africa and have not been part of the internet setup, so I did not have access to sites or information, especially 10 years ago when I started. I inspected a set of cuffs that I bought second hand and thought, "I wonder if I could open these without a key." Being the Stubborn person that I am, I never gave up until I got it right. Been teaching myself since then. All escapes that I do have been learned on my own using trial and error. Knock on wood, So far I have not been bound in any way that I could not escape from. Warning to you though, if you do things in this fashion, be prepared to get hurt a LOT. I have broken each and ever bone in both my hands just practising escapes from different bindings. So beware. Everyone Here will help with ideas and links to the best stuff you can get. PM Me if you want some tips and tricks to help you in your quest for knowledge.

" Thanks guys. I also vote you the nicest forum guys. Your such a community and respectfull to everybody. Thanks "

*Blush* Thank you. You got the brownie points from all of us on that one.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Don Randini
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Don Randini
I would drop the real Mr.Escape, Steve Santini an email. He is full of knowledge and could provide much info on escapes and the inner workings of picking locks/cuffs.

Don Randini
Houdini man
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
343 Posts

Profile of Houdini man
Thanks guys. To wolflock, its Houdini1313 from E.
Could you pm me or e-mail me his e-mail? I guess I could google it. Thanks
H
www.magicformagicians.info www.perry-reid.com

The only thing that spererates genius from insanity is success.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I would agree with AJP about the Ian McCall books. I have both the Handcuff Manipulation Kit and his more recent book Advanced Handcuff Manipulation. The first is perfect for the beginner as you get a cut away of a real S&W model 100 cuff which will help you learn how the mechanism works as you learn how to pick it as well as a pick and a shim. The second book is really for more advanced EA's who have a basic knowledge of cuffs, which I would consider once you have applied what you have learnt in the HCMK.
If you do decide to get the HCMK I would suggest getting a real set of S&W 100's as these will obviously open in the exact same way as the cut away.
REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE THE KEY IN AN EASY TO REACH PLACE AND HAVE SOMEONE NEARBY WHO CAN LET YOU OUT IF YOU NEED IT.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Also a suggestion that Ros forgot to tip you about. Don't tick off the person near by you who is there to help you get out.

Just Gimmick the lock.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I don't do handcuffs, but there is a very good, and very big E-book around that explains locks, picking, etc.

It helped me out a lot in the past.

And it is free.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rob where can one Access this book.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Houdini. I will give you a few tips on MfM.
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Some people do pick locks but sometimes a lock cant be picked.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Depends on who you ask Don, But I have to agree with you. Ah. your online, smelled me out did you.
*Wolf sniffs to see if he really smells that bad*
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Gives wolfie a case of deodrant. don't think your that bad or are you Smile
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
*Wolf Faints*
Wolflock
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Is the smell that bad j/k wolfie the deodorant was a xmas gift
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I have received a flood of PMs and requests on where to find this guide. Well, here is one of many links.

http://www.gregmiller.net/locks/mitguide/MITLockGuide.pdf
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
It is good reading material Rob. Thanks a stack.
Wolflock
South Africa
mitchert
View Profile
New user
Texas & Beyond
6 Posts

Profile of mitchert
I'll plug another member of this site: pastorclyde has a series of escape courses and the one regarding handcuffs is on ebay right now. Search for "Escape Artist Course #1" and you'll find it. Starting bid $25. I'm relatively new here but Clyde seems like a nice and knowledgable guy, so I'd imagine his stuff is a good place to start.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Lock picking for beginners (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL