The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The Pulse Stops Here (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Last night I was at a local low-key bar that I frequent, and some friends, acquaintances, and my girlfriend were there. One hippy-type guy was showing a couple card tricks he knows because the topic of my job came up.

(That's one thing I really like about that place. Everybody knows I'm a magician... Nobody tells me to "do a trick.")

I then did a couple quick mindreading card effects (winning a few shots in the process), and for some reason, remembered how to stop your pulse, so I showed it several times, freaking out my best friends.

Here's my point: Don't use a rubber ball. Use your cell phone.

And also, if you're ever in NE Iowa, visit the Haymarket Bar in Decorah. Ask for Nathan.... it's my remote office. hehehe
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Sorry nat.
I've missed the point.
'why' use a fone instead of a ball?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
It's impromtu/at hand - and doesn't draw any attention a wallet works equally as well and is always available/to hand Smile

Is this a little too harsh - or is it funny ?

Before I married my wife she used to make my pulse race - now look what happens. Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
LOL, Clarioneer, not harsh at all!!! Funny! I’ll borrow that line (with your kind permission)! It's a great one!! You tipped off one of my closely guarded secrets with the wallet bit- LOL. I know, I know, it’s way obvious to those ‘in the know’ about how the stunt is done. However, I’ve managed to fool several people who thought they knew and who ‘frisked’ me following the stunt looking for the ball. They took no notice of my wallet in by jacket pocket.

Bobser, the ball is the old school method of the trick. The trick can be performed by replacing the ball with a mobile/cell phone, a wallet, a wadded up handkerchief, or even a shot glass (another standby for me). It is an old trick and still fools in the right situation. It’s something that I used to do in High School almost 50 years ago.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Harry,

Use away Smile Was just doing a 5 minute brain storm for a full voodoo routine and this simple line crossed my mind as did the method Smile

You won't believe my method for the blister effect - so open its mind boggling Smile

Scary thing about the wallet is trying not to stop the pulse - mine seems to have a will of its own Smile hell even a pen or a sharpie works, just a little uncomfortable Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Quote:
On 2004-12-07 12:43, nathanallen wrote:
(That's one thing I really like about that place. Everybody knows I'm a magician... Nobody tells me to "do a trick.")

What makes you so lucky? Tell us your secret so that the rest of us can live in peace! Smile

Haha, I won't forget what you said about your wife, Clarioneer! Although you had better be careful who you tell... Smile
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
This effect has served me well. I love it. I practically used everything from salt shakers to this and that.

Harry, High school 50 years ago? You look young ! Is this because of all those years of pulse stopping?

Clarioneer, way too funny man!

Angela, even with a bowling ball my heart wont stop beating looking at your avatar. Be still my beating heart. Seriously , you are beautiful! Its nice to have you in the Café.

Peace,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Crackcityrocka
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Crackcityrocka
Don't know if this is relevant but I perform this right before I do the jumping matchstick trick. The one where you balance a match on another and make it jump. Heres a nice little routine, tell your audience about breathing excercises, make one up. Have a spectator check your pulse of course its stopped pretty nice novel effect then pull out toothpicks or matchsticks or whatever along those lines. Grab spectators pulse ( do jumping matchstick trick )and tell them they mustve been breathing too hard. Another reason why I like this is that the breathing really gets them to calm down because the large supply of oxygen to the brain it makes both effects seem more magical.
eztravlr
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of eztravlr
I got a question... How do you routine something like stopping your pulse, which is something so powerful, and then go into jumping match sticks? That's like god creating the world by willing it into being and then saying "Now let me do Hippity Hop Rabbit."
Crackcityrocka
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Crackcityrocka
Just try it basically you're acting like the breathing excercises is stopping your pulse now when you grab the spectators pulse they mustve either done something wrong or right cause they can now make matchsticks jump I did it today to a complete reandom stranger. The pulse thing was like wow and the jumping matchstick fried em. But really I guess its in performance I play down the pulse thing for some reason like anyone can do it. Then my friend actually came back a week later and told me he was trying to stop his pulse doing the breathing excersises and almost passed out now to me that's the part of the effect I enjoy a spectator remebering the trick and trying to figure it out. So basically with correct patter, jokes, and feel of the moment Yes I can routine these two together.
Doc Pepper
View Profile
New user
Black Hills of South Dakota
82 Posts

Profile of Doc Pepper
Back when I was in EMS working as an EMT 25 years ago, I used to "make my pulse stop" in our EMS classes for the students. It really messed with their minds. Once I had a Doctor in attendence when I did it. He checked my pulse and told me that I needed to see my own Doctor because he felt I had a heart murmur... He he he... I ended up having to show him how I did it because he was going to `write me up' as unfit. He had a good laugh and kept the secret.
The Doctor will see you now! ;-)
Tigerrune
View Profile
New user
Waterloo, Ontario
35 Posts

Profile of Tigerrune
I'm very new, so where would I find instructions on the Stop Your Pulse trick?
-R-
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Tigerrune,

You could purchase the DVD "Amazing Psychic Feats Anyone Can Do with Jay Sankey" or the DVD "Skullduggery by Luke Jermay."

Alternatively, you could check any number of magic books or even type it up for a search on Google.

I believe I learned the effect from a library book at school in the 5th grade.

:magicrabbit:
David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
7 DESCEPTIONS BY LUKE JERMAY, shows also how to stop a spectators pulse its ingenius
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
K.... Joe is it the same method discussed here? Cause I don't know where the ball and wallet is coming from... No clue... where is it in the book??

Got it... everything is in order...I can't use my wallet...doesn't work for me very well...
felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
A phone works great - this is a brilliant tip, I experimented with several things and it was tedious

felix
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Quote:
On 2005-02-20 23:37, Angela wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-07 12:43, nathanallen wrote:
(That's one thing I really like about that place. EVERYBODY knows I'm a magician... NOBODY tells me to "do a trick")

What makes you so lucky? Tell us your secret so that the rest of us can live in peace! Smile

The secret is simple; I'm no good, so they don't want to see anything. Smile
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
Hey, I've been through Decorah before! I will DEFINITELY give you a heads up the next time I get down that way! Smile
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
djc89
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of djc89
Quote:
On 2005-02-23 11:59, eztravlr wrote:
I got a question... How do you routine something like stopping your pulse, which is something so powerful, and then go into jumping match sticks? That's like god creating the world by willing it into being and then saying "Now let me do Hippity Hop Rabbit."

Maybe you could go toothpicks to stopping your pulse. You can explain that you have complete control over your body. For the toothpick part, you can talk about how you can amplify your pulse, and completely stop it for the stop.

If you want a humorous approach...You could do something with blood pressure, saying that it's too high (toothpick) and then say maybe it's better that you don't have one (stop).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The Pulse Stops Here (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL