The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three Stylin by Lee Asher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
RideorDie99
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of RideorDie99
Does anyone know if Three Stylin by Lee Asher is a good commercial effect to do at a magic competition?

I was thinking of purchasing this effect but need some reviews. Also does anyone know if each chip moves magically from finger tip to finger tip or is it only one of the colors that does all the moving?

I developed my own ungimmicked version but it's only one color moving... is this lee asher's version?

Please advise.
Thanks
STOP DROP SHUT THEM DOWN AND OPEN UP SHOP
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1665 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Only one chip does all the moving. and IMO I don't think it would b a good effect for a competition, but that again is just my opinion.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2004-12-07 16:23, RideorDie99 wrote:...a good commercial effect to do at a magic competition...

Magic competitions are usually not the best places to perform routines that are geared to lay audiences ( = commercial ).

Think about what you want to show jaded and self important critics who wish to offer judgement... and find something that will either allow you to shine as a performer or fool the hats off them. Or both.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jrandcc
View Profile
Regular user
New York
141 Posts

Profile of jrandcc
Three stylin is somewhat of a good effect for a magic competition, depending on how you incorporate it. I know someone who used it with a gambling theme with several other effects, and got 3rd place among about 15 other people. Great effect!!! Personally I think it is an effect slightly geared more towards magicians.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Hi everyone. I just rec'd my Three Stylin today by Lee Asher. Boy, he's super fast in shipping the item! Jonathan Townsend "Visual Coins Across" is first on his ref. list of folks that he wants to credit his invention with poker chips. I haven't never seen a 3-fly effect with poker chips. It's great and it's gonna to be in my routine! I like it as it's easy to perform unlike Goshman's Pitch, etc. However, I know every effect has its advantages and disadvantages. Three Stylin' just works for me. Happy posting, guys and gals!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Only the red chip moves the whole time. I like the effect. The effect is very similar to Paul Wilson's Crowded Coins. It is nice effect, very simple. It is also very easy to add things to it, like curl palm, edge grip, downs palm...

With these additions, it can look very clean, but as it is, hmm.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2289 Posts

Profile of Doomo
All I can say is having seen it done several times... For laymen and CROWDS of magicians... This trick rocks... Nuff said.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I'm puzzled. Three different color chips and only one moves?
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1665 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
I'm puzzled. Three different color chips and only one moves?

Yep, only one (Red one)chip moves every time. If I'm remembering correctly each time after the chip travels, you then transfer the chips around so you can make the same (Red) chip jump/fly.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
However, this flies by by laymen and even magicians!

Really, just about every knowledgable magician after seeing it once will be sure you probably have a CS coin somewhere on you or otherwise have more than the standard 4 coins.... it really does seem as if many coins are traveling!
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
It isn't just the routine, which is excellent. Like Paul Wilson, Lee also writes about the psychology and proper blocking of the routine. Applicable to all variations.
It's worth having.
The International-type Three Flys I'm familiar with - Three Stylin is in this category - all seem to have the aspect of having one of the coins travelling at least twice. This is true with Nate Kranso's and Reed McClintock's routine. Doesn't appear to be a problem for the audience.
It will be interesting to see if some clever magician can make each coin/chip travel. Someone must have by now.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Lee Asher has done a great job with the illustration. They are printed on very good quality of paper and thus make it a pleasure to read and flip thru the booklet. Lee points out the psychology and the proper techniques in a clear style to do this flawlessly. You can almost hear Lee cheerful demeanor talking to you as you read his notes and instruction. Lee reminds me of Jay Sankey that both stress the organicity of routines and simplicity. I highly recommend Three Stylin by Lee Asher to all 3-flys afficionado.
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
wdmonroe
View Profile
New user
va beach, va
33 Posts

Profile of wdmonroe
I've only seen the effect performed once and I noticed that only one chip did all the flying, but then again I'm jaded. I'm sure it is awesome for laymen, just not a routine for me.
as you help others; you in turn help yourself.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
I'm not sure how these types of routines really play for audiences. I've seen a number of people perform them and the all get less than mediocre responses. I am of the mind that the first one to travel, in these type of routines(3Fly) is the strongest and the effect weakens subsequently. Maybe changing the texture (you know what I mean) of each phase might help.
Talk amongst yourselves...
JTW
Ben Proudfoot
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Ben Proudfoot
Think about this. When entering a magic competition the judges are looking for someone that has both a)technically mastered the routine b)is entertaining to watch and has well prepared presentation c)is original. Those (to my knowledge) are the very most important things to consider. By choosing a marketed trick you are automatically kicking yourself out of the running because you'll fail in originality. Stick to stuff that is yours. In my contest act, almost everything in it is original, and the rest is someone else's idea; not a marketed effect. You will go nowhere in a contest with a marketed effect UNLESS its used drastically differently.

Just my $0.02.

Ben
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Or it's new and fresh enough.
In the one and only close-up contest I ever won, Three Fly was my opener or I should say part of it. I produced them from a coin purse frame, Three-Flyed them and then vanished them one by one ending clean with just the purse frame.
But that was when Chris Kenner's Out of Control was the only version circulating. I made some drastic changes to it and tacked on a beginning and end.
Don't think that routine would win any awards now. Three Fly has been beat to death.
You know I just realized I've never done that or any Three Fly routine for laymen. Hmmmmm.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I just want to clarify that RFA productions did all the illustration, design and layout on Three Stylin by Lee Asher. You guys/gals can view RFA productions other great work at http://www.rfaproductions.com/
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
Three stylin' is a great effect for laymen but I don't think its good for comp.
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
Three Stylin' is similar to one of Jay Sankey's effect. I would have to agree with the TheFish on this one. It's a gret trick for lay people but for a competition it is not very good.
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8422 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, if Asher entered a competition and took the old idea of 3-Fly and simply presented it in his updated version of 3-Stylin', with all the hoopla about it, perhaps it might've won him the competition. Truly, nothing really new under the sun, in most cases it's just new to you. Hence what we call "originality"...perhaps just the first person to see something, to see a possibility that was really always there. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three Stylin by Lee Asher (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL