The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three Stylin by Lee Asher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
Munch, what effect of sankey's are your talking about
munch1215
View Profile
New user
California
77 Posts

Profile of munch1215
Fish,
you should do some research! I am not exactly sure what the name of it is but if you are curious then watch every video of Sankey on Penguin. I think I saw it on there. the address is http://www.penguinmagic.com
Look deep within yourself for inspiration
TheFish727
View Profile
New user
Tarzana CA
96 Posts

Profile of TheFish727
I have mAny of sankeys videos and DVD and I Rev. coin magic and if it is a three fly effect then it would be on there. there are many coins aross but none similar to three stylin'
David Gardener
View Profile
New user
Hamilton, New Zealand
53 Posts

Profile of David Gardener
I have seen Lee show 'three stylin', and its a very visual effect and easy to follow the routine, due to it's use of coloured poker chips, I have always found it difficult to follow coins.
Nice and neat effect.
Remember the effect should entertain a non lay audience too. So I would recommend this effect for your competition.
The use of chips makes it completely international.
Dave
coinmagic143
View Profile
New user
Annapolis, MD
67 Posts

Profile of coinmagic143
I just don't understand why someone would settle for a routine that has only one coin/chip "flying" across while there are routines out there, McClintock and Kranzo's, that have two different coin/chips "flying" across. This is justmy observation. Cheers,

Bill
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2005-10-03 23:38, coinmagic143 wrote:
I just don't understand why someone would settle for a routine that has only one coin/chip "flying" across while there are routines out there, McClintock and Kranzo's, that have two different coin/chips "flying" across. This is justmy observation. Cheers,

Bill

C'mon man. Poker is huge right now! You cannot turn on the TV without seeing some poker game on at least one station. Asher's routine is current. Lee did this for me before he even put it out. I thought he had some special chips because I sure as hell saw every chip flying! That is the way it is structured. I perform this routine for the larger tables at the restaurants where I perform (angles permitting). It kills! A buddy of mine who has seen it a couple times told me that I must have six chips, yet my hands never came near eachother(hehe)! I have seen a pile of three-fly routines and this is my favorite. The only one I perform!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
coinmagic143
View Profile
New user
Annapolis, MD
67 Posts

Profile of coinmagic143
I understand what you are saying and yes I agree using chips is MORE up to date than coins. However, my question is why use a routine in which only ONE coin goes vice a routine where you are able to get TWO coins across. Again this is just my opinion. The Asher routine is OK, but I prefer one of the other routines I mentioned. So to me it's not whether the chip is better than the coin, it's about the construction of the routine. Cheers,

Bill
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8430 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey 143, if you're looking for something different in a 3-Fly as obviously 3-Stylin ain't doing it for you, then take a look at Mickey Silver's "Spit Fly," it's absolutely magical and a very different take/approach on all this fingertip coins across stuff. It's amazingly different than anything out there in the 3-Fly family of things! Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2005-10-04 22:38, coinmagic143 wrote:
I understand what you are saying and yes I agree using chips is MORE up to date than coins. However, my question is why use a routine in which only ONE coin goes vice a routine where you are able to get TWO coins across. Again this is just my opinion. The Asher routine is OK, but I prefer one of the other routines I mentioned. So to me it's not whether the chip is better than the coin, it's about the construction of the routine. Cheers,

Bill

You are thinking like a magician. The audience believes that all the chips travel...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26945 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 21:42, Magic w/ HART wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-10-04 22:38, coinmagic143 wrote:
...it's about the construction of the routine...

You are thinking like a magician. The audience believes that all the chips travel...

On a good day, all they will remember is whether or not they liked you and your magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
coinmagic143
View Profile
New user
Annapolis, MD
67 Posts

Profile of coinmagic143
Magic W/HART, I do understand what you are saying and I guess it's just a personal preference of mine knowing two go instead of one. I think Asher has a good routine and I'm sure audiences, laymen and magician, enjoy the routine and that's awesome, just not for me.

Mb, where could I see a performance of Spit Fly?

JT, your right, when it's all said and done it boils down to whether they enjoyed you as a performer and your magic. Again, it just boils down to personal preference. Now to get back to the original reasoning for this post, I don't believe this routine would be good for a competition. Thanks for your input guys. Cheers,

Bill
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 21:42, Magic w/ HART wrote:

Is this true? My understanding is that each of the three chips is a different color, but in each phase of the routine, the red chip is the only one that travels. Somebody please clarify.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26945 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is a video clip of the routine done somewhere around, posted recently. Yes, the red chip flies thrice. The routine seems to flow nicely and unless you make a point of announcing the colors, the thing should go by smoothly.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
sullivanl
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of sullivanl
It is the red chip that flies every time, yet the way Lee structures the routine, he never calls attention to the colors. To laymen it just seems like three poker chips fly from one hand to the other.

Check it out at http://www.leeasher.com/three_stylin.htm

On his lecture tour Lee can never keep these sets in stock. The poker chips are shimmed as well, which allows you to ditch the last chip with a magnet, etc...
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 23:23, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

On a good day, all they will remember is whether or not they liked you and your magic.

Jonathan, this is the best thing you have ever said in your 10,473+ posts! All performing magicians should tack it on their wall and read it every day!

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8430 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Coinmagic43, you gotta reach out to Mickey Silver. It's on one of his free dvd's that he sends around. You're gonna love it, along with all the other stuff on the disk! Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
coinmagic143
View Profile
New user
Annapolis, MD
67 Posts

Profile of coinmagic143
Mb, thanks I appreciate that and Mickey did PM me saying he'd be willing to send out the DVD, so I'll have to wait til I get back into town. Thanks again,

Cheers,

Bill
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Quote:
On 2005-10-06 22:07, sullivanl wrote:
It is the red chip that flies every time, yet the way Lee structures the routine, he never calls attention to the colors.

Then why even use chips of different colors? By using different colored chips, you are calling attention to it.

The ad at the link above states, “Without color, you have just another standard coin effect,” and “Without any fast movements or flashy distractions, the chips begin traveling across magically to the left hand – one at a time!”

The implication here is that the effect is more spectacular than a standard three-fly because three unique and different objects travel from one hand to the other. If it's just one chip traveling three times, you’re defeating the entire purpose of using uniquely colored objects in the first place. And thus, the effect is actually less impressive than one with same-colored chips, or... COINS, because in a coin routine, even if the same coin travels each time, the audience is unwaware of it because they all look the same.

Anybody?
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1479 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
You can create a lot of magical moments in a spectators mind using discrepancies. Classic sleight of hand routines are full of them. The Elmsley Count a widely used move found in hundreds of tricks that has a rather glaring discrepancy, yet if flies by laymen every time.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2005-10-07 12:07, Rob Elliott wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-10-06 22:07, sullivanl wrote:
It is the red chip that flies every time, yet the way Lee structures the routine, he never calls attention to the colors.

Then why even use chips of different colors? By using different colored chips, you are calling attention to it.

The ad at the link above states, “Without color, you have just another standard coin effect,” and “Without any fast movements or flashy distractions, the chips begin traveling across magically to the left hand – one at a time!”

The implication here is that the effect is more spectacular than a standard three-fly because three unique and different objects travel from one hand to the other. If it's just one chip traveling three times, you’re defeating the entire purpose of using uniquely colored objects in the first place. And thus, the effect is actually less impressive than one with same-colored chips, or... COINS, because in a coin routine, even if the same coin travels each time, the audience is unwaware of it because they all look the same.

Anybody?

Have you ever done three stylin for lay people? Didn't think so...I don't know how many times I can say this, LAY PEOPLE THINK THAT EVERY CHIP TRAVELS! Until you have (honestly) tried it for a lay audience don't knock it. Think of it this way, if you are using identical coins for three-fly I believe it is much easier for an observant spectator to guess that you have an extra coin. With the multi colored chips you are getting credit for something you don't even do. Lee lives three blocks away from me and he showed me this before it was ever released, I thought that he had some gimmicked chips because I SAW every chip travel. I should mention that at the time I was familiar with other routines ala Kenner, Townsend, Wilson, Kranzo, etc.
Nuff said, IMHO.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three Stylin by Lee Asher (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL