The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three Stylin by Lee Asher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26995 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 13:24, Pachin wrote:
I am sorry I am confused here. So Mr JT have you published any of your material ? How come some magicians and a lot of members in the Café make reference to your ideas or creations ? Are you showing it like in lectures or conventions or it is just known by word ?

This is one of those questions that is better sent as a PM instead of side tracking a thread on Lee's Three Stylin product. Will PM in a bit.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Sorry everyone for getting off topic earlier.

Anyway, I think that three stylin is a great routine and should be tried on a lay audience before deciding that it doesn't work. As I said earlier the chips offer some great presentation options.

Black and white T.V. still delivers the picture, but wouldn't you rather watch it with color?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26995 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-12 02:35, Magic w/ HART wrote:...three stylin is a great routine and should be tried on a lay audience before deciding that it doesn't work. As I said earlier the chips offer some great presentation options...

Can we get some reports of how this routine goes over for lay audiences?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Magic w/HART,

Hey, sorry if some of my earlier comments came across as abrasive. I have kind of a sarcastic sense of humor and sometimes have difficulty suppressing it.

The reality of the situation is probably somewhere between our two arguments. The effect will probably slay some people, while others will notice the immobility of the other two chips. I personally think the effect works better with coins, but that's just me.
coinmagic143
View Profile
New user
Annapolis, MD
67 Posts

Profile of coinmagic143
I think the routine would be better performed with an apple, pear, and orange. Just kidding. LOL, Smile. Cheers,

Bill
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2005-10-12 08:16, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-10-12 02:35, Magic w/ HART wrote:...three stylin is a great routine and should be tried on a lay audience before deciding that it doesn't work. As I said earlier the chips offer some great presentation options...

Can we get some reports of how this routine goes over for lay audiences?

I should mention that I only perform this at the restaurants/parties for larger groups that are seated at the long tables. I think that this routine(or any 3 fly routine) is good for the longer tables because then EVERYONE can see what is going on. It is not "crotch magic". The other reason I perform it only for the long tables is that in the two restaurants that I work the larger tables are separate from the smaller tables. If I did it at the smaller tables I would have some angles to worry about. Three stylin does not look as magical from the back.*lol*

I use it as an opener because it quickly establishes me as someone worth watching(and I don't believe in opening with cards). I think it is also important to point out that the chips are bigger than Morgans. That and the fact that they are colored makes it very easy for all to see. On that same note, chips(especially the ones Lee provides w/ the routine)are very smooth and move like butter. Morgans, unless prepared well, do not.

This routine plays very well for lay people. I actually had to start letting people examine the chips before and after because they would not believe that they were real!

When you read Three stylin you can tell that Lee has really thought this thing through. He does not only tell you how, he tells you why. His blocking and motivation alone are worth the price of admission. Hope this helps...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Is this dfferent than Daryl's routine?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Yup.
James Schwab
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of James Schwab
Would this effect work for someone with small hands. I have trouble practicing with regular dollars and making it look good because of my small hands. I usually just use half dollars, but I would like to buy three stylin if it would work for me.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I think this routine can work for everyone, the hardest move is a fingerpalm, and even with small hands a fingerpalm should be easy enough.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 23:23, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
On a good day, all they will remember is whether or not they liked you and your magic.

Jon, that should be etched in stone somewhere in the Magic Castle. We can debate every handling of every effect ever created, but it all comes down to what you said.

Thanks!!

Chris

magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Just curious... is Three Stylin' a SoH only effect using non-gimmicked poker chips? Or are there gimmicked chips involved?
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
SOH only
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just ordered Three Stylin' and will let everyone know how it is.

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16971 Posts

Profile of joseph
Any more reviews?.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I found it to be surprisingly well thought out. Some may be put off by the red chip factor, but when you actually look at the routine, and work it well and to your own style, it will amaze you how this is actually very cleverly worked around. In the end the illusion truely is the three chips flying one at a time, which is exactly what it should be.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Lee Asher always has great ideas about timing and misdirection, this is another one of those routines.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I just recieved this the other night and after reading through this booklet, and working through it with chips in hand, I have a couple of thoughts:

1) It always impresses me when one takes the time to list the credits in a Works Cited list in the back. Helpful to see it in that list form, plus it re-enforces what Lee states, "He stands on the shoulders of Giants."

2) The structure of the routine is well thought out. Every chip moves from one hand to the other. Much like Mike Close's Torn and Restored Card, the routining is what makes this effect what it ends up being.

RevJohn
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Folks, yes this is a late post -- this is a rockin' effect.
Yes, only the red chip flys, however, this is never called out in
the routine and is never noticed due to the effect's solid construction.
This is a great opener -- about 60 seconds of quick eye-candy.
Best of all, it is neither a card trick nor a coin trick.

Kevin
delgadil
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of delgadil
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 19:33, MagicChris wrote:
I just ordered Three Stylin' and will let everyone know how it is.

How about that review?

Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Three Stylin by Lee Asher (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL