The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Limited Magic - Challenge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Here's the challenge: you have to do strolling close up magic for a bunch of people, but the client has placed certain restrictions on you (this is a hypothetical situation meant to stretch your minds):

No cards, ropes, rubber bands, linking rings, coins or currency, no TT's, no cups & balls or Chop cups and no floating anything.

What effects can you do based on your current selection (and ones that you have done in the past.

I'll post my list later.

I started this for myself the other night and realized that I have quite a few effects for close-up work that I can do under these restrictions, but it took me quite a while to put them together.

Let's see what the rest of you come up with. Considering that many poeple complain that "magicians all do the same tricks," this might be an exercise that will get you thinking outside the card box! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Sponge balls, pen thru, ring and shoelace (improvised rope)routine, maybe a centre tear effect or Shrinks IA pad routine. Heirloom (there are no real playing cards used) spoon bend, napkin effect (where you throw it over their head to make it vanish - can't remember the name)

This is stuff I'd have with me when I turn up to a gig, makes it more of a challange.

That should get the ball rolling Lee...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm not sure if there's a surface to work on or the setting of this challege so---here's some without a working surface and no specific setting that I have done at one time or another.

• Thimbles
  • Recap
  • Hot Rod
  • Gem Busters
  • Link-Key (Solari)
  • Haunted Key
  • Sponges
  • Ball and Tube
  • Cigarama (Garcia)
  • Color Changing Knives
  • Swami effects
  • Center Tear
  • Gypsy Thread
  • Mental Die
  • Silk knots and color changes.

Would a finger ring and ribbon/string/cord tricks be considered Linking Rings or Rope effects?
Could poker chips or washers be used instead of coins?

Some of these, among others, I haven't thought about, or performed, for quite a while. Thanks for bringing back some memories Lee.
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Color Changing Knives
Sucker T&R Napkin
Mentalism including some metal bending
Pickpocketing.
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
510 Posts

Profile of jcigam
1. Spoon Bending routine - I have used for years
[Mostly inspired by Guy Bavoli]

2. Torn/Restored/Vanished-Napkin
[Combination of routines from Mark Wilson and Tom Mullica]

3. Sponge Balls
[I like John Carney's routine from Carneycopia]

4. Bounce No-Bounce Ball
[Can't remember who's routine it is; might have been Michael Close's]

There are several more I can think of, but these are routines I use on a regular basis.

Cool idea,

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
Most of what I'd probably do have been mentioned -- something with silks or handkerchiefs... color changes, and finger rings & spoons are good -- ash through the hand would work, and sponge balls. Multiplying balls too... or a billiard ball/ contact juggling routine.

Something with penetrating keys -- although that is similar to linking rings so that is on the line of breaking your rules.
Pen through napkin, or piece of paper Smile

I have also begun researching cigarette routines and although it is a work in progress (not yet for the public) that would work in most places as long as you didn't light up.

And don't forget -- a nice business card routine.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Just IN Case (right flight type effect)
Salt shaker thru table
Paper balls over the head
Juggle plates or bread rolls
Paddle trick with table knife and pieces of paper
Gypsy thread with dental floss
3 in hand one in pocket with Doc Eason nuts and bolts
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rospahr
View Profile
New user
New York City
17 Posts

Profile of rospahr
In addition to some of the effects already mentioned, I would like to add a couple more to the list:

Malini egg bag
Max Londono's Eternal String

-- Robert
"We drive into the future using only our rearview mirror."
-- Marshall McLuhan
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Lee...this is one of the best threads I've seen in quite awhile. It actually made me start to think of many effects I haven't done in a long long time. I'll try and post later to some of the stuff I do that meets your criteria!

Mike
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Gadzooks... how did I overlook the egg bag... argh...
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Mike, thanks for the kind words. In my own personal version of the challenge, I also eliminated sponges as well (I rely on them quite a bit and have several routines that I do regularly).

Glad you like the idea - it's what happens to my brain at 4:30 in the morning when I'm fighting a migraine. Smile

I enjoyed meeting you at your lecture in Chicago a few years ago, too.

I'll be posting some of my own choices in the next few days. I was surprised at how much this idea made me stretch, too! Glad it was to your liking.

Highest regards,

Lee Darrow
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
I like the topic and open thought type of challenge that you have issued here. I put some thought in to it prior to reading the other posts and here is what I have come up with.

Wonderland Dollar done with a paper object other than a dollar bill it can be done with a business card with some planning.

Dan Garrett’s Cosmic Egg I am not sure if you would consider the S***** Gimmick a TT or if it falls into the same family but since you did not mention it I will use it.

Business Card Tricks really too many to mention if you are looking for some good stuff see Ammar.

Color Changing Knives or Hot Rod Several routines are available that play well I like the Big Stick for a straight hot rod routine the Number 2 Pencil is good in this environment as well.

Cigarette Magic in a smoking section if I was in a state that still allowed such a thing.

Foam Ball Routines- In a restaurant I would stick with the bunnies just don’t let the kiddies bite there ears off like one of our unfortunate readers posted a while back.

Eugene Burgers match book routine Forgive me I can not recall the name of it but it is also located on one of his Voyages DVD’s as well variations of it are located in Mark Wilson’s Complete Course in Magic and several other sources.

Ashes in Palms- At the bar or in the smoking section.

ReCapped- I like the routine by JC Hyatt (I think that is his name).

Haunted Key

Hell Bent- Bob Solari (? On the spelling of the last name sorry Bob)

Dean Dill’s Matrix the one that was on the Lee Asher Road Trip DVD.

Splash Bottle- More of a parlor bit but I have done this close up with success.

Toppit Magic – I love the Toppit and the fact that it allows you to be very spontaneous I have vanished stuff off of people’s tables and reproduced it latter under a silk. For Close Up shows I never leave home without it.

Well that is a short list of potential stuff that I could choose from. I have a show coming up that is pretty much free form and has very little restrictions placed upon it I may actually try this out to see if I can go the full night without pulling out a deck or cards or any coins. It may be more fun than I have had in a long time.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Okay, here's my own list and the additional limitation of no sponges (as I rely on them a lot):

Limitations: Strolling magic situation. NO cards, sponges, ropes, coins, rubber bands, chop cups, cups & balls, linking rings or thumb tips are to be used.

Effects:

Gem Buster
Sugar Cube Trick
One Ahead
Color Changing Knives
No. 2 Pencil
Print Business card
Fl!pstick
Ring on Wand
Paper Hat Tear
Mouth Coils
Pen Thru Anything
Jay Marshall's Bill Switch
Flight of the Paper Balls
Psychological T&R Cigarette
Erectile Bill
Ring Thru Hanky
Glorpy
Egg Bag
Chinese Sticks
Dice Stacking
Kurotsuke (Maven)
Mental Yarn (Goldman)
Kathy’s Screwy Finger Bit
Acrobatic Matchbox
Equivoque
T&R paper or napkin
Straw That Clings
Chink-a-Chink (bottle caps)
Message Reading (Sand Frame)
Center Tear
Swami Gimmick
Linking Pins
Holey Moley (Sankey)
Paperclipped Bill Divination (Sankey)
Magic Credit Card
Flip over Sunglasses
Haunted Key
Chevreault's Pendulum
Mini Spirit Slates
Cig Up the Nose
Memory Lapse (Sankey)
3-Ball Routine
Owan to Tama Japanese Bowl Turning Routine (my version)
Unbendable Arm
Ring Attraction (rings on wand, move using IT)
Chi! (IT loop to face)
Signese (T.A. Waters)
Fire Date Book (if fire regulations allow only)
Formal Affair Spoon Bend (Sankey)
Spoon Bend (polishing)
Mobile Silverware (PK)
Salt Shaker thru Table
Eating a Table Knife
Shoes to Table
Living & Dead Test
Thrice Drawn Circle
Compassetic
Vlad's Splinter

Some of these are my creations, I admit, but they can all be found in the issue of the New Invocation (in vol 3 of the hardbound collection). Compassetic is a move the needle in the compass effect, based on Uri Gellar;s appearance on some TV show and Vlad's Splinter is a moving splinter effect.

Hope these help!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Looks like almost enough material for one show Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, Pete, given that I actually can perform all of the above goodies well enough for trade show work, you may be right! LOL!

Frankly, the whole idea was to get some of us, myself particularly, to start thinking outside of the spongeballs/chop cup/CMH/ambitious card/flourish and TT framework.

I was as surprised as anything when I did the list - I had no idea that I could do so many of these things! One of the things about getting older is that I find myself tending to get too settled in my ways and forget that I have other modules that I can plug into my act.

This was good exercise for me as jogging my memory is about all the exercise my poor knees can take these days! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
So many tricks...so few pockets!

Mike
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Some strong stuff missed off the list...

Blister Effects
Ash or Lipstick through Hand
Greg Wilsons Recap Revisted
Lots of Stuff with Matches
Paddle Effects
catch you later

Clarioneer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24266 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Lee:

Your original list said "coins or currency," not just coins. Wouldn't that put Jay Marshall's bill switch off the list?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2004-12-10 18:12, Clarioneer wrote:
Some strong stuff missed off the list...

Blister Effects
Ash or Lipstick through Hand
Greg Wilsons Recap Revisted
Lots of Stuff with Matches
Paddle Effects

The ash trick is the sugar cube trick. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Bill: you are correct. I will have to pull that off my list. Good spotting my friend!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Yes Lee - naughty naughty Smile Lots of stuff with sugar cubes - across, matrix et al even set them alight using something I mentioned above (and I don;t mean the matches - although they do help) Smile

Looks are you are starting to exhibit the symptoms of having forgotten more magic than most know Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Limited Magic - Challenge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL