The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Costume? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yes, Amos will make a custom dove tuxedo for you. Here's his web site:

http://www.amosmagic.com/prod_complete_dove_pack.html

With the tux, you get his two videos, dove holders, silks, silk clip, and match pull. Having never purchased a custom made tux, I'm not sure if his $1000 price tag is reasonable or not, but it will be a perfect fit.
Where the magic begins
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Hard to say without seeing the tux itself. But in my experience, there's a lot more to it than just having a tux made to fit you and then putting pockets in. I would imagine that if you went with Amos Levkovitch's tux, you'd get a really high quality product, but that you'd also have to get adjustments made after you put everything in, etc. If Amos gets your measurements taken, has the jacket custom made, and includes one or two additional adjustments, I'd say $1000 is a very good price.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Upload some photos, and we can give you more detailed advice.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Amos's order page is quite detailed, and if your measurements are accurate, there shouldn't be a need to make any adjustments unless your size changes after you submit them.

I'm fortunate to have a tailor in my town that has made tux's for magicians before. I get a tux right off the rack, for less than $200, and have him make the adjustments for me. Costs about another $150 for all the sewing. I sew in my own pockets, so that saves some money. I guess if you had the tux made from scratch, after paying the label for it, you're probably right, Christopher, $1000 would probably be a good price.
Where the magic begins
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

I guess it's different for everyone. I've had a custom tux made with my measurements, and also taking into account measurements for the "other things" you need to account for. But once pockets are in and I load up, there have always been little adjustments to make: i.e., a little tighter here, a little looser there, and things like that. Shifting a pocket just a little bit to get it to lie a little flatter. But for the most part, to get a tux to fit you properly and normally, Dave is right. Once you are measured, it should fit like a glove.
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
The other tip is to find a tailor that makes tuxedos for ballroom dancers. They know how to cut the jacket so that it doesn't move when you raise your arms. (i.e., taking a bow).

Some tailors will prefer to make the tux from scratch, and some of them will start with an existing coat. Best to find the tailor first.

But as nice as it is to have a custom made tux, you don't have to have one to start out. The first couple I used were off the rack suits (used ones at that) that were modified. Pockets and pads were first pinned in, and later sewn when the positions were set (hand sewn by me). A tailor flared the sleeves and added heavier interfacing much later after the act was set.

When you're first putting an act together, there are a lot of changes and small tweaks that have to be made as you try things. It really pays to be able to do basic stuff yourself. You'll save a lot of time in the long run over running to a tailor for every little adjustment.
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
I'm cheap, and poor, so I do all my own sewing. But being a saddle maker also helps a lot 'cause I do a lot of hand stitching on saddles and tack.
Owln_1
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Peeps,

I think that Amos Lev. was getting his tuxedos tailored by Ruthie West, who is now retired, but he might have found someone else.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

That's something good to ask Amos about. I know the tuxes were supposed to be Christian Dior to start. Whomever he has tailoring them, I'm sure he's made sure they are good.

Mike York - What Jeffrey Korst is saying is very good advice if this is one of your first costumes. You get something off the rack 1 or 2 sizes larger, then take it in and adjust where necessary as you discover what you need. Of course, you may be beyond this and ready to get something custom made from scratch. But if not...good advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Costume? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL