The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How long have you really been into magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
HypnoticQueen
View Profile
New user
Quebec
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoticQueen
Hey Jaxon , nice post , yeah most magicians I meet when I ask them how long they been doing magic answers are always 10-12 years they never say 4-5 years.
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
It's just kind of funny to me that when someone asks another magician how long they've been practicing magic. They often add many years onto how long they've actually been practicing. For example I know one guy who has been practicing magic for a few years but he doesn't like to admit that. When someone asks he always says something like, "Since I was a kid" or "For about 12 years".

In some, not all, cases it might not be lying per se.

I think we were all interested in Magic as children...Henning, Copperfield, etc. gave us that interest in mysterious things. We probably even had some little magic sets or borrowed books from the library on magic.

Getting older, the interest shifted to other things. It isn't as though we suddenly didn't find magic interesting...but suddenly dating seems more important Smile

Later, for whatever reason, the interest is rekindled and so people think that they have always been into magic...even though there was a good 6-12 year period where they did nothing about it. It's not exactly lying...it is just not being exactly honest either.
Carlos Lacuna
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Carlos Lacuna
I've been doing magic ever since the summer of next year. Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-01-02 17:11, Lacuna wrote:
I've been doing magic ever since the summer of next year. Smile

Clever!

I started in magic over 40 years ago (Yikes! I'm only 48!), and went full-time in the early 80's. Michael Who? OK... big fish.

I love it when after doing a set, a layman audience member asks how long I've been doing this. I look at my watch until the joke sets in. I then smile and hold my hand out to the side as if measuring the height of some child ("Since I was...")and then SLOWLY lower my hand lower and lower. They get the point and understand that you can't learn this overnight.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Bradbury
View Profile
New user
Limassol, Cyprus
40 Posts

Profile of Michael Bradbury
Interesting subject, although I don't agree with the way you are thinking of this subect.

I will not say much, I will just say, that a Magician performs magic to entertain and give pleasure to the spectador rather then impress him. It is different to perform magic to impress someone and another to entertain someone. People don't care much how long you 've been magic, they care how they enjoyed the magic and if you are a good Magician.

I agree with what you 've mentioned, though: It does not make any difference how long somone has been involved in magic with how good he is in the art.

Kind Regards,
Michael Bradbury
The %90 of the art of Magic is in your performance - not in your magic tricks
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
People don't care much how long you 've been magic, they care how they enjoyed the magic and if you are a good Magician.

This is how it should be and in some ways it's how it is. But, "How long have you been doing magic?" is one of the most common questions spectators ask the performer after a show. Especially if they enjoyed the show. If they didn't enjoy it then they probably won't bother talking to the performer anyway.

Maybe it's just me, but if I talk to my audience after a show it never fails for someone to ask this.

This brings another side to thsi topic to mind. Sometimes a kid shows interest in magic and there parents come up and ask how long it took to learn all that. In hopes that the answer will inspire the kids to work hard. In this case I don't think I'd give a number in my answer. I'd just say taht it took lots of practice and had to read lots of books. I'd say that because it's true and hopefully it'll inspire kids to read.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
trilam
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
65 Posts

Profile of trilam
Hi,

I have been at it for almost 30 years to varying degrees. I was 10 when I first started, and was performing children's shows soon after. I always maintained my interest, but my practicing slowed right down during my university years and then as I moved around including 7 years working in Asia. I always kept up several favorite routines, and always visited magic shops in any town I visited anywhere in the world.

I re-kindled my interest once my twin sons were old enough to appreciate that they had a magician father. I now actively read, watch and practice new effects and sleights.

As for the discussion of how long vs how much effort, one thing I always say is that since I have been doing magic for 30 years, subtle handlings and misdirection come naturally. Now if I only spent as much time practicing daily as I do browsing the Magic Café...

Gary
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-01-03 16:24, Jaxon wrote:

This brings another side to thsi topic to mind. Sometimes a kid shows interest in magic and there parents come up and ask how long it took to learn all that. In hopes that the answer will inspire the kids to work hard. In this case I don't think I'd give a number in my answer. I'd just say taht it took lots of practice and had to read lots of books. I'd say that because it's true and hopefully it'll inspire kids to read.

Ron Jaxon

I will many times ask a kid if he plays a musical instrument, or plays baseball, etc. Then I compare what I do to that. I let them know that some things will come quickly, but the better things, they'll have to work for. The more they try, the better they will get. They can really relate to this.

I too, point them toward books, but with a more specific destination. Surprisingly, many kids don't know that their school library may have books on magic. If that fails, I tell them to try the public library, and if not there, a book store.

Just to make sure, there are some magic books in the school library (at least in my kid's school library), I donated a few basic magic books. They have to be age appropriate in all respects, and I made a point to give them three; one very beginner, with lots of colorful pictures, one a bit more in depth and one on magic history/historical magicians (Hyla Clark's book, "World's Greatest Magic" is good here, and can be bought consistently on Ebay for very little).

Think about doing this in your neighborhood.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pete W.
View Profile
New user
Coffeyville, KS
80 Posts

Profile of Pete W.
Another thought....
I think the question itself is totally irrelevant.

Look at it this way! Some of my friends were in high school band with me. I continued and played saxophone 25 years in dance bands, the last 5 years not hardly at all. Some from high school never play any more and I know of a couple that play professionally in symphony orchestras.

But if you ask each of us "how long have you been playing?" we would all answer "since high school".
"Amatuers perform different tricks for the same people. Professionals perform the same tricks for different people."...Al Goshman
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I used to do magic when I was 8.

I made myself disappear when I needed to do homework.
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Serious magic, about 4 years. I've had a great interest since I was 4 though, so about 9 years.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I love to be asked, "Have you done magic your whole life?"

My answer is always, "Not yet."
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Thirston
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Thirston
Probably since I was 11
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi
ive been doing magic since I was about eight years old but only have taken it seriosly for the last 4 years.

Ricrado the Magician
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
I have been interested in magic about 8 years but that is off and on.but got serious about it 3 years ago.I am just an amateur, my profession is a Paid firefighter for city of cleveland.I work 24 on & 48 Off so I have a lot of time to practice. when we go to schools for fire prevention I use magic to get the kids interested and I also do a lot of free stuff.Just love my art and I try take take it to the highest level I can.Wes
www.xtrememagicshop.com

where the magic is limited only by your Imagination!
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I've been into magic since the days of Mark wilson's Magical Land of Alakazaam (you old guys probably remember that show). There were spans of time when I was not doing any magic due to lack of time, etc. I've been re-bitten by the magic bug recently (my grand children have a lot to do with it), and am more serious and am practicing more than ever. I can't get enough of it.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
That can be such a difficult and complex question to answer.

My first exposure to magic was when I was like, oh I don't know, 12 or something.
I got a Magic kit for Christmas, with linking rings, an egg vase, a metal TT, a silk, a rope, rice bowls, genii bottle, all that good stuff. I learned a lot of the terminology, basic methods, etc. The novelty of it all wore off shortly though.

Fast forward about 18 years, and I discovered a magic store in my area, which was part of a costume shop I visited for Halloween goodies. I got re-interested, and got the Mark Wilson Course in Magic, and the Bill Tarr Now You See it books, and a few others. I learned some slights, or should I say, learned about them, as I never mastered any of it.
I did some things for my girlfriend at the time (now wife), some friends, but in retrospect, I had rushed it. Although my wife enjoyed the magic and didn't demand to know how it was done, I was making the mistakes of forcing magic on my friends, with the kind of presentation that didn't quell the "challenge reflex" many react with, and worst of all, I simply wasn't ready for things like a top palm or french drop. Everything got boxed up less than a year later, and with the exception of an odd trick here or there at the dinner table while on an annual vacation, I was done for another 12 years.

This past October, the flame was once again rekindled (again, thanks to Halloween), and I hope the third time is the charm. I certainly know much more now than I did before. My attitude is generally better, although I question whether I spend too much time here on the Café as opposed to actually reading my rather new and semi-impressive library of classic magic literature ! I try to spend at least half an hour with cards, just working on the fundamentals all over again. I actually work on just regular overhand shuffles still, working to get a good feel for the cards before I start attempting to tackle advanced false shuffles (again). I'm still torn though, with my other interest which is music. I am defintiely addicted to guitar, and have been for the past 25 years. I am hoping to become nearly as addicted to cards and coins and billets and all that good stuff.

A word of Advice, from my current position:
Don't fall into the trap of overwhelming yourself when starting out - like I've just done. I now have so much at my fingertips that I don't know where to begin exactly. I'm a third through Card College vol 1, yet hardly started RRTCM, which I had first. I got hungup on something as silly as whether to use the pinky along the inside of the cards during the overhand shuffle Smile Fortunately, R. Giobbi finally convinced me.
I have the wisdom of Mr. Bobo, Mr. Anneman, Mr. Corinda, Mr. Brau and Mr. Huggard, Mr. Erdnase, Mr. Fulves, Mr. Giobbi, Mr. Hay, Mr. Wilson, and many, many others all competing for my undivided attention all at once. I'm going to have to draw up an outline now to help me focus, and just put some of these things on the backburner. Fortunately, some of the material can be used as reference, but some of it is designed to be read in sequence, like a course.

Interestingly though, it seems the one thing that always sparked my interest in conjuring was Halloween. I guess I won't have trouble figuring what style or image I want - that one's in the bag !
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
anime_file
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of anime_file
I just started half a year ago. And I don't think I've begun seriously studinging magic.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Started when I was 10. Have been performing professionally for 25 years now.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
I think a lot of people drift in and out of magic. I got into it about 10 years in real terms, but maybe only a few years compared to some if you count the amount of time spent doing magic! (some of us have less time to practice than others.....maybe I just make less time, same difference!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How long have you really been into magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL