The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Most valuable book ever. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gislain
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Gislain
Does anyone know what would be the most valuable magic book on earth?
By most valuable I mean something that belongs in a museum or behind a glass protected shield.
In other words THE book....
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
I would hazard a guess of an original copy of "The Discovery of Witchcraft"
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
That could be. I have seen various reproduced pages from an original copy but never seen an original.

The gaffed padlocks back then were nuts, if memory serves they were used to look like a bull ring was coming out of someones nose. Sort of a carne freak item.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Myrddin
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
108 Posts

Profile of Myrddin
Not as old as "The Discovery of Witchcraft" is the French 'trilogy': "Nouvelles Récréations Physiques et Mathématiques", 1785, which is the most valuable for me. While not protected behind a glass shield, it has an important place in my library.

Peter
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1177 Posts

Profile of Chris
'Most valuable magic book' can be interpreted in several ways. Valuable in terms of money? Valuable in terms of contents?

"Hocus Pocus Junior" for example is very rare. Only a few copies are known to exist. "Discoverie of Witchcraft" is to my knowledge not that rare and has been reprinted several times.

For example "Physical Amusements and Diversified Experiements" from Pinetti is both very rare and a magnificent magic book with lots of great magic tricks. The Discoverie does not have a whole lot of magic in it and the things that are described are not that great in my opinion.

So my personal vote would go for the Pinetti book.

Chris Wasshuber
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Chris would know best, Check out his site too, it's the one I've been telling ya'll about.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Scot's The Discoverie of Witch Craft is the most valuable book without a doubt. The Magic Circle London has an original copy in its library which I have been lucky enough to look through and touch!
TOMMY Smile
Todd Karr
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
152 Posts

Profile of Todd Karr
Hi, everyone
Great question. There were many editions of Scot's Discoverie and they are worth a lot, but generally not as much as other books that exist in only a couple of copies, notably The Art of Jugling and Hocus Pocus Junior. Also considered by collectors as a Holy Grail is one of the four numbered bound copies of the original Annals of Conjuring published by George Johnson.
Best wishes,
Todd Karr
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Probably not the most valuable book ever but The Magic of Robert Harbin has got to be way up there. I saw someone selling a "photocopy" of that book on a site awhile back and it was up over $600.00. I have always wanted to see that book. Prior to the reprint by Kaufman, Greater Magic was a pricey book too and was off the market for many years.

quack
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Scot's Discoverie is neither the rarest nor most valuable (price wise) book on magic. For example, a pristine first edition of Scot's sold in private sale for slightly over $30,000 recently. However, most first editions of this work do not realize prices that high.

Interestingly, the 3rd (I believe) edition of Scot is more desirable than the 1st as it was the one to be produced in folio size.

Ady's Candle in the dark is decidedly more rare as is the aforementioned Hocus Pocus Jr.

I personally think the Andruzzi books were some of the more interesting modern texts to realize prices of $1,000+.

The Westcar Papyrus, now there is a magic artifact that is both unique (as in one of a kind) and of considerable historical as well as financial value. Sadly, I understand, it has been lost.
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
"The Whole Art of Legerdemain or Hocus Pocus in Peferfection" by H. Dean (1763) is one of the very early books entirely on magic. These run in the many thousands of dollars if you can find one. 200 copies were reprinted in 1983 for those interested in the contents.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Personally "The Discovery of Witchcraft" is a book I do not think anyone would find of interest with the exception of it's value. As far as most valuable for actually using the contents I would probably say the Harbin book and second the Albo series, also have to include Greater Magic.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
rseward
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of rseward
I understand that the book “The Discovery of Witchcraft” makes mention of a manuscript on magic that pre-dates it. But no one has been able to find this manuscript, or prove that it even exists. Does anyone have any more details about this manuscript and who may have searched for it? I suspect if it is ever found it would be the most valuable book in magic.
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
I believe an original copy of Discoverie (1584) just went for $20,000 on Martinka.

http://www.martinka.com/martinka/auction......ID=13364

I guess the economic downturn hasn't affected everyone??

Simon
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
With commision, it went for $23,000.00

A proof copy of "A Magician Among The Sprits" sold for $30,000.00 some years back as I remember.

There's never an economic downturn in quality collectibles.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
So have you received it yet Kevin????
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I think one copy of Discoverie of Witchcraft is in Davenports collection.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
No. I was knocking-heads with Blaine over some other Houdini stuff. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
newman1066
View Profile
New user
North Carolina, New York, Vermont,
53 Posts

Profile of newman1066
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 08:56, Mehtas wrote:
I think one copy of Discoverie of Witchcraft is in Davenports collection.

The first edition that sold on the Martinka was the Davenport copy.
It was won by a Scandinavian performer named Lars Peter Loeld.
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
I guess this needs an update?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Most valuable book ever. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL