The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Apologies To Dickens" by Ron Giesecke (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I have always loved performing "Sam The Bellhop". It is fun, fast-paced, and above all HIGHLY entertaining! That said, I have found a replacement for it. It is titled "Apologies To Dickens" by Ron Giesecke. It is similar to Sam The Bellhop in that it uses the entire deck to tell a story, however, it is all logical, the story "goes somewhere", and there is an actual magic effect involved. Unlike most routines of this type, there is a definate beginning, middle, and end. Most routines of this type, end with "Oh, I have run out of cards, so...the end." This routine has a logical, and suprising ending.

This routine tells the story of "A Christmas Carol" in poetry form. While this is, of course, most suited for performances during the Holiday Season, I feel that it could be performed all year around. There is a sort-of-color-change, and a signed card to wallet that completes the story.

The 1st section teaches the basics of the routine as far as the patter, and which cards are turned up when. The 2nd section teaches various false shuffles and cuts. And the 3rd section gives a few added thoughts and notes. There is nothing missing here. Ron has taken great care in making sure that every aspect of this routine is taught as clearly as possible. Be warned, however, in order to do this routine justice, you MUST be proficient with card sleights. This is not self-working, and will require practice. Smile
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I like card stories and use Diamond Jack for stand up with an Anglo Giant deck.

Can this be adapted to work with jumbo cards or an Anglo Giant deck, or do the required sleights demand you use a standard deck of cards?

What sleights does the routine use?
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I couldn't find it anywhere.
Yours,

Ivan
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
590 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Scott - The trick has a card to wallet ending, but other than that it could be adapted to jumbo cards - and you could come up with a substitute for the card to wallet finish, if you like. As with any full deck story routine, the individual shuffles, cuts, flourishes, etc. are up to the performer. This is a great story, and worthy of your consideration, especially since you already perform a full deck routine. I also recommend David Regal's routine, "After Hours", from his DVD Regal Walks Erect (though this is NOT for kid shows).
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Thanks Bill. I think this is one I'm going to put on my list to learn before next Christmas.

I also do Stan, Kate & Edith by Kerry Pollack (another "not for kids routine), this is a "Story Trick" but based on the 3 card monte theme as opposed to a full deck story. So I don't think I'm looking for another adult themed piece right now. Lilly Longlegs by Simon Lovell is another routine I've heard of that sounds interesting.

Some notes on Card Stories:
I have Malone's "On The Loose" DVD #1, which has his "Sam the Bellhop" routine on it. It's a good video for learning the cuts and shuffles. But the story doesn't suit my character as well as Diamond Jack.

Another one I have, that is great for kids is "Once Upon a Time" by Guy Hollingworth. This is a set of picture cards routined as a little magic book. It has three different stories: Cinderalla, Jack and the Beanstalk, and The Three Bears. They are told in much the way you would tell a full deck story, but they incorporate more magic along the way. Again, this was a good source for learning some basic false cuts and a simple false shuffle which I've found to be very easy and deceptive.

Card College, Volume 1 also has some good instructions for a couple different false cuts.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
But in Once Upon a time, the cards seem to change, right?

I liked lilly long legs as well. It's on Simon Lovell's new DVDs as well. But myself I prefer Sam
Yours,

Ivan
matlosz
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of matlosz
I love this. I've done "Sam the Bellhop" but this is much more interesting in my opinion.

Is it possible to purchase instruction on "Apologies To Dickens" anywhere or do I try to break down the video?
culpitt
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of culpitt
I'm sure I have a copy of this somewhere. Give me a couple of days and I'll try and look it out for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "Apologies To Dickens" by Ron Giesecke (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL