The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Charlier cut (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LPU
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of LPU
I use index. how do you use your thumb?
Burns
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Burns
Instead of dropping down a pack by the thumb. use your index to drop it and push with your thumb or use gravity.
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous..." -GrumpyOwl-

"I don't invent, I do Personal Discoveries" - Myself-
anime_file
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of anime_file
Burns: does the cut look the same if you use the thumb? Is the thumb supposed to go under? or does it look like a pinkie cut?

I use my index also. It doesn't balance well wit my middle and it's slow.
Burns
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Burns
That's corret. the best way though is imply using gravity. when you do this cut you'll see that the deck turn over. this is the natural movement since the bottom packetis at an angle.
when you press the botom pack with the pinky. it getts clipped by the thumb, same position as afther you have pushed with your index on the regular charler. Use gravity (or clip the top pack with your index and pinky and push with ur thumb). it's a bit hard at first.

a easy variation. is pressing with index. dropping top, dropping the bottom on the top (which is faceing wrong way) grap the original bottom packet now at the top and turn it around using middle and ring fingers.

Burns
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Burns
*when you press the botom pack with the INDEX (or pinky).

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I use my thumb as well brother.
Burns
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Burns
So many ppl say they use their thumbs... are you guys SURE you are not doing the Thumb cut? The Thumb-charlier is kinda hard to pull off clean.

Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I bust them all. Just depends on my mood. Those are the perks of being a pasteboard pimp!!

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. As long as it looks good when you are doing it. Never settle for a sloppy looking charlier!!
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
They might mean the thumb when splitting the deck, I don't know.

Thumb cuts are nice though.
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of 30210162
Quote:
On 2004-12-18 07:20, sc_wizard29 wrote:
I have never seen anyone use their middle finger... do you have ?

*raises hand like a hyper active kindergarden student*

YESH I HAVE MIZZ HOOPER! I saw Rob Stiff did it in the *cough* *bullshit* *cough* Showoff with Cards.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
I use my index finger. I learnt it from originally Harry Lorayne's book. Harry had most things worked out in the most efficient and natural manner.
Michael Bradbury
View Profile
New user
Limassol, Cyprus
40 Posts

Profile of Michael Bradbury
Quote:
On 2004-12-15 07:47, Marco S. wrote:
Just curious. Do you use your index finger or your middle finger to push up the lower of the two packets?

I use my index finger. But you use what you are comftorable with. Smile

Kind Regards,
Michael Bradbury
The %90 of the art of Magic is in your performance - not in your magic tricks
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
I thought I was the only one lost. I have always used my index finger and have the Charlier down great and then I was watching Showoff with Cards and he said to use your middle finger. Back to the index finger for me. What do ya'll change when doing a false Charlier or triple Charlier?
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2005-01-04 12:14, BlackShadow wrote:
I use my index finger. I learnt it from originally Harry Lorayne's book. Harry had most things worked out in the most efficient and natural manner.

I as well...Using the middle finger does not make much sense, as you are restricting your movement a lot more. You are losing a lot more felixibility, and just hindering the cut by having to keep your index finger on the outer edge. I tried it, and it was quite easy, but not as fluent, and smooth as using the index finger. It makes more sense to have your other three fingers supporting the rest of the pack, not one and two, and going up the middle.

I don't get that, but hey if it works for you more power to you. Smile I Assume many who try it with their middle finger though will instinctively let go with their index finger also, so you better have quick reflexes in catching packs before the floor does.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
I tried using the middle finger but it was kinda unnatural for me

I find it easier to use the index too

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
AnimobileAWS
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of AnimobileAWS
I use my index finger. I learned it from Royal Road and havent ever done it a different way.

Maybe I should try?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Charlier cut (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL