The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Simon Lovell Madness Behind the Methods (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Charles Adams
View Profile
Regular user
Silver Spring, MD
156 Posts

Profile of Charles Adams
Anybody had a chance to view/review Simon Lovell's "Madness Behind the Methods"?
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
I have it I don't really like Rob from magic makers ( noton a personal level I would just rather see a perfomance in front of layman) All the effects are super simple technically you zlmost have watch the bonus stuff to understand why Simon put it out. I love the stroy with the rose napkin and theres a non effect item that I am going to put to use. Pm me if you have any other questions
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Yes I have the DVD’s and have spent some time watching and studying the effects on them. I have state that this may be a bit of a one sided review because I really like Simons stuff and happen to think that he is one of the funniest and most talented magicians working today.

Disk 1. Has 8 effects on it all of which are presented by Simon with commentary by Rob Stiff. The Magic is very good and clearly presented, but more importantly the work and thinking behind the magic is very strong here is where the true value is found. Standouts on this Disk for me were the Twisted Rose, Hartless, and the Namer.

Disk 2. Has 7 effects plus 2 bonus effects for a total of 9 items presented. The real good stuff on this for me was Derek Dingle’s Collectors, and Radical Aces. Again all presented by Simon with commentary by Rob Stiff.

Disk 3. Has 11 effects presented with 2 bonus effects for a total of 13 routines explained. I liked most of the stuff on this disk with the standout’s being Simon
S Matrix, and Vernon Can be Explained. Again Rob Stiff chimed in while Simon worked.

Here is the thing with these DVDs that I think that you should think about when buying, Ask yourself “Can I look at someone else’s material and add my own performance style to it” this is important because I am not sure if anyone can deliver this material the same way as Simon. This may seam very obvious but I am sure that people that have purchased his DVD’s and attempted to deliver his performance and it has flopped. If you answer yes I can than I say go for it the stuff is well worth the money spent.

Cheers.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
froggy
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of froggy
I really like it.
Froggy
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Million Dollar card magic is better. I watched both of them, and Simon concentrates more on patter.
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
I just got this set... and I love it so far. Lovell's ideas are wonderful. I enjoyed seeing the performances of heartless and imagination, for example. Great effects, simple ideas! That's the best... must simplify things.
magicsavant
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
157 Posts

Profile of magicsavant
I thought it was great.
Nikodini
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Nikodini
Is this a Magic Makers... errr Fakers production? If yes, I'll have to say no thanks to this.
dom
View Profile
New user
italy/UK
17 Posts

Profile of dom
I don't really believe this is a great set of dvds. Most of the stuff is based on controlling a selected card and double-lifts. that's it, no innovative effects, nothing particularly impressive.
what is more, this set of dvds has been depicted as one of the 5 best set ever. how can we ever compare it with Ammar's or daryl's series to quote but two?
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
For those of you who like Simon's work, and live in or are passing through NYC, be sure to catch his 10:30 pm show in SoHo (same location as Monday Night Magic). Heavy on the stand-up comedy vs magic, but still a fun evening and he does several nice effects...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Simon Lovell Madness Behind the Methods (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL