The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Magic with Matchsticks..!! Help me!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
darren-uk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of darren-uk
Dear Close-uppers.
I'm pretty certain I saw on UK TV, some months ago, a guy performing an effect - a la Crazy Man's Handcuffs - with 2 matchsticks.
Did I dream this, or does anybody know of the existence of such a gem?
Cordially.
Smile
Darren, UK

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal labotomy.
ben creitz
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of ben creitz
yeah, you can do it with matchsticks or toothpicks. I've seen it in a bunch of books of easy to do magic. it is very visual, and quite easier to perform than CMH. there is also a similar little stunt you can do with corks that is explained on magic.about.com. a good routine might involve these three tricks, starting with corks and ending with CMH.
darren-uk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of darren-uk
Ben,
Thanks for your words.
Better go and buy a couple of bottles of wine! Smile
Darren
Smile
Darren, UK

Nae Blis
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Nae Blis
The match penetration can be found on tape one of the jaw droppers series. As well as a simple jumping toothpick/match trick that could work into that routine. These can be strong effects(angles can be a problem with an audience), but i have not had much success with penetrating matches or toothpicks. I wish i could make these look as strong as the CMH, becuase penetrating a solid object is more impressive than a rubber band. Need more practise i guess.
It takes a big man to cry...... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
I do a whole routine with two match sticks...

and most of it can be found in Mark Wilsons course in magic.

this is truly strong magic... expecially the jumping matches.. awesome..

Tim
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
darren-uk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of darren-uk
Timotheus.
Many thanks........
Rather than but the whole Wilson Course; which volume is the match routine in etc????
Hope I do not appear too mean!!!!
Alternatively, you could e-mail me the moves!!!! NOW I have gone too far!!!
Take care
Darren
Darren, UK

MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
The penetrating matchsticks on Jaw Droppers mentioned above is not the same as the wine cork illusion.. it is a very visual penetration.. and though it takes a lot of practice..it is definately a killer!
I must have wnt through 20 boxes of matchsticks.. PM me if you want further info.
Tom Defrange Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
The Mark Wilson course is a single volume.. and quite reasonable.. Around 14.00 US or so from practially everyone...

Although I do use my own handleings (of course don't we all)

I have the moves down with the jumping matches so I can make one jump sometimes a foot above my hands....

and the penetrating matches.. are smooth and visual..

Even tho I've tweeked them.. I must insist that you own the course before I tell you more... Sorry

and the material in his book is staggering... everything from cards / mentalism / grand illusions..

IMHO every magician should own Mark's course...

my .02 cents worth.

Later
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Right on Timotheous I have just bought the book you mention as well as the cyclopedia of tricks both books are awesome I.M.O.and worth getting
Trevor Smile
darren-uk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of darren-uk
Many thanks to all who have replied....you have been most valuable.
What a wonderful forum.
May all your straddle faros be perfect!
Cordially.
Darren
Darren, UK

Chris Calabrese
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
44 Posts

Profile of Chris Calabrese
Quote:
On 2002-09-09 16:05, trevorsmagic wrote:
Right on Timotheous I have just bought the book you mention as well as the cyclopedia of tricks both books are awesome I.M.O.and worth getting

This is a little off topic, but I have seen the large Mark Wilson Course In Magic and a much smaller (but just as thick) Mark Wilson book called Cyclopedia. Just from glancing at them it looks like they have the exact same content. Is this the case? I bought the Course but passed on the Cyclopedia because it appeared to have the same stuff.
~ Chris Calabrese ~
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
The MW Course and the Cyclopedia are one and the same. They shrunk the Course by eliminating the white space on the pages, and renamed it the "Cyclopedia".

I don't believe the larger version is currently in print.

At about $14 US, you get a lot of really useful stuff in there.

A GOOD INVESTMENT.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I have both and The small one is missing a couple of groups of tricks. one off hand is the gaff card section but I think there are a couple more missing as well.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
This is the first time I've seen references to Larry Anderson's 'Jaw Dropper' series of 4 Videos. My son who lives in California sent this set to me for my birthday 18 months ago and that sparked my interest in magic. I've bought a lot of tapes and books since but IMHO this set of tapes are to magic videos what Mark Wilson's Complete Course is to books. (and Larry was a major contributor to Mark's book). In other words, excellent guidance and inspiration for beginners.
I'll post this in 'Good, bad, garbage' because I'd be interested to hear of other views of these tapes which seem to be a bit neglected or under-rated.

Bill Smile
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Hey Bill,
I completely agree with you..
Jaw Droppers is definately a must for a beginning magician.. the tricks require very little sleight of hand, and some of them are
very good.. I particularly like the following:

bill transport 1.00 to 5.00
matchstick penetration
Stock Market Add
(x) in the magazine
cut and restored string
self Folding Dollar
$1.50 on the ceiling
Cutting 2 bills in half and revealing them restored.
Man the list goes on and on..

I ordered these for something to do
while I was working on the road, living in hotel rooms for NORTEL NETWORKS...
Little did I know what kind of impact they would have on me..
Since these tapes arrived 2 years ago, I have been addicted to magic and probably
will be for the rest of my life..

GREAT TAPES FOR BEGINNERS and great confidence builders...for the tricks are
easily performed and the majority of them
pack quite a punch..

Take it easy
Tom

Smile
J.B. Bobo
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Speaking of solid thru solid, i've been trying Dan Garett's pindemonium and it KILLS! Everyone I show it to is squeeling with delight and wringing their hands. I think it's probably the most visual effect I do. It has a major impact on spectators.

I do it quite close-up. I wonder how far away you could do it without losing impact?

The same as CMH, I suppose.

Anyone else do this effect and have stories?

frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Can you give me a link in Pindemonium? I have never heard of it and would like to investigate.. or maybe you could describe the effect of the trick..
Thanks
Tom Smile
J.B. Bobo
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Tom
I love the cut and restored string from Jaw Droppers too. I usually present it to a group of women and pick out the prettiest suggesting that she looks to have healing hands. When the clearly cut string magically restores right there in her hands she almost faints with amazement!
I performed the cut and restored bills using five pound notes to my colleagues using a cost cutting type story. Having performed this effect several times very successfully this time it failed. Imagine my embarassment when the notes fell apart in pieces and the promised restoration failed to materialise. That's magic!
Bill Smile
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
*L*.. darn the luck..
did you come back with the line that the government would never let it happen anyway?
Nice touch on the healing hands...
I need to go back and watch those tapes again
they are fairly basic, but quite a few gems are in there..

I performed the $1.50 on the ceiling in a hotel one night to a cute hotel clerk..
being that I took a taxi back to the hotel,
I was quite intoxicated.. but not only did I manage to pull the trick off.. it was a 30 foot ceiling!!, and I returned 2 months later and the bill was still there..

Smile
I also had a guy jumping at the ceiling with his pool stick trying to get his $20 down ..
it would just spin and spin.. was that a fun night Smile

Take it easy
Tom
J.B. Bobo
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
matchstick penetration is in bill tar's book "now you see it now you dont"
white hats rule.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Magic with Matchsticks..!! Help me!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL