We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review: Exploding light bulb by Elian Agaian & Yigal Mesika (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Exploding light bulb by Elian Agaian & Yigal Mesika available from magic suppliers world wide.

They say:
The performer holds a completely normal, clear lightbulb between his fingers, and suddenly the lightbulb EXPLODES AND SHATTERS into little pieces! The audience can examine the bulb both before and after the effect. Can be performed anywhere, any time. There is no movement in the performer's hands or fingers, can be done with any light bulb! Precision machined gimmick makes this easy to do. This is a strong affect your audience will remember for a long long time!

Difficulty (out of 5): 2 Takes some handling practice to get smooth.

I say:
I like this. It is pretty dramatic. You can use frosted bulbs as well, no problem.

Given what happens it is also fairly safe. Owing to the nature of light bulb (interior vacuum) the glass does not fly off into orbit.

The gimmick is robust, that's for sure. It isn't as big as I thought it would be. It is not tiny but still quite compact. There is NO question that the bulb will break. Controlling it is pretty easy and you'll soon pop bulbs on que.

I haven't found the perect application but there will be many, bullet catches for one.

The effect gives a satisfying "POP" when it happens so is startling, especially when the spectators expect to see a bulb magically light up! (HAHAHA!)

Be warned, you will need to deal with dangerous bits of broke glass afterwards.

Value:
It is a tad bit pricey but is bloody well made and clever so I guess it evens out. I think it is a tool as opposed to a trick per say. If you like weird PK with a bit of shock value, it could be for you.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
It's a great effect, and it doesn't have to be used in a serious context. I use it as part of a humorous commercial in my show. Any magician who wants to be able to make a lightbulb shatter at his fingertips would be well served by this product.

Larry
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
How much does it cost?

Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
I have this item and would like to hear how other users ditch it during performances.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
DarkKnight
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of DarkKnight
My usual method of working with this is to hold the lightbulb in a clear plastic bag so glass doesn't go all over the floor then I just drop *it* in the bag once the bulb has shattered.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1037 Posts

Profile of bsears
DarkKnight - I have heard of using the bag - it does make it safer and there is no clean up problem, but I have been unable to find a presentation which justifies the use of the bag. I think the strength of the effect is in the surprise, and I wonder if putting it in the bag would diminish that.

I'm still afraid to use mine at any shows where children are present. I also don't use it in a venue that has carpeting, lest a piece of wayward glass find its way into someones foot.
budzy
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of budzy
The bag is like putting the bulb into the 4th dimension and ....POOF

Frank
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Tom somehow I just love the way you write reviews. I do have this and I concur the fact that it is well made.

However...may I caution that this is something that needs practice so execution will be ease. You need to work out your own handling and you must be comfortable. For stage, nightclub, this is a good add to your repertoire.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Psychic...thanks for the compliment.

I have taken the metal base from a bulb, got rid of any trace of glass and hot glued a cork into it to reproduce the neck of a bulb (brought out to the correct diameter with duct tape). I use this to practice with, I find this practice to be crucial as you suggest.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I love my YM Exploding Light Bulb gimmick....it took a little breaking in (no pun intended) but now it works smooth as ever. Has anyone who owns this ever thought of incorporating a pull so you can end clean quickly? Just curious.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
Quote:
On 2004-12-27 16:26, Tom Lauten wrote:
I have taken the metal base from a bulb, got rid of any trace of glass and hot glued a cork into it to reproduce the neck of a bulb (brought out to the correct diameter with duct tape). I use this to practice with, I find this practice to be crucial as you suggest.

That is an awesome suggestion. I ordered one of these and was doing a little extra research to prepare for its arrival. I will definately make up one of these.

As for someone else's thought about justifying the plastic bag: If your routine is such that you know the bulb is going to explode the bag serves to contain the glass-- which is polite and makes for less death in your audience-- and to reduce or remove direct contact with the bulb-- which heightens the impossibility.

I also like the idea handing out the shattered bulb in a bag. I won't know the possibilities for sure until it arrives.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Review: Exploding light bulb by Elian Agaian & Yigal Mesika (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL