We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Golden Shells, yes, but... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I picked up the "Absolutely Nuts" video by Bob Sheets from The School for Scoundrels website. I recommend it, they have other items too. http://www.chefanton.com/entertain/store.html
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My favorite routine for the shells is Gary Ouellet's "Supershells" available from the Camirand Academy. Frank garcia's book, "All in a Nutshell" is an excellent resource if you can find it. Glenn Bishop has a good routine available, and there is a nice routine in Ganson's "The Art of Close Up Magic."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Karl Norman has a great routine in his book, "Forty Years at the Forks".
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Bob Sheets's video has the most unsuspicious looking acquitment I've ever seen. Bob Kohler's video is outstanding. Scott, I'll definitely check out Ouellet's "Supershells."
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
Patrick Page has an impressive "3-shell game" video, it really fooled me the first time I watched it. But I have not seen any other performances of it so, anyway.
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Frank Garcia in the video Stars of Magic performs the shell game. Very interesting and gives some advice on how to prepare the shells.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Let us not forget the Phil Cass videotape.

Regards,

Paul
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Actually, I'd rather forget the Cass videotape!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I agree with Scott. The Cass video was horrible. I can't believe someone even wasted film on it.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I got the Ouellet booklet through Absolutely Magic http://threeshellgame.com at the same time I bought their La Maggiore shells. I am very happy with these shells, by the way. They are much bigger than the School for Scoundrel shells, which I also own. The La Maggiore shells, due to their size, balance, weight, and shape, are also easier for me to handle than others I've tried.

The Oullet routine is wonderful. It never "challenges" the spectator, and has a very magical ending that most other routines lack.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
JR Russell
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of JR Russell
I agree with JD. I also got the La Maggiore shells and the Ouellet book and have been having fun learning the routine. I am also reading "Hello Sucker" in the recently published Jack Chanin book. Good tips and advice including a chapter on "what to wear" when doing the routine to make it a routine!

JR
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
John,
Thank you for the description of the Oullet routine--I hadn't seen it and now you've piqued my interest.

Best,

Jay
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Super Shells is the only 3 shell routine that I have ever seen, and it is the one that I am learning. How do other routines compare to this one as ar as the actual effect. And how does the super shells climax compare to others.

I like the fact that the pea travels from one covered shell to another but I don't like having to carry around a clay saucer, glass bowl, and shot glass.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I'm not convinced the Super Shells ending is any stronger than using just the shot glass as in Frank Garcia's routine and Bob Kohler's routine. I don't think the ending should be especially magical, as that detracts from the theme of the trick, and is a shift of effect.

I think the ending should be climatic, and be one that makes it completely obvious that the audience would be inclined to bet on such a proposition because it seems they really couldn't lose, but then of course it is shown that they would have lost even under these seemingly impossible conditions.

I like the shot glass ending in formal close-up shows, but in walk around, I always carry only the Magnetic Street Shells and a couple of peas in my right coat pocket. I use the ending of the pea appearing under the shell in the spectator's closed fist in these situations.
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
My favorite routine that I have seen was Bob Sheets' Scarab Beetle shell routine, which I believe is still unpublished. He did tip some great material on his "Absolutely Nuts" video. I love my golden shells! Pure class!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You should be as good a performer as Phil Cass. His shell game is two cuts above the standard stuff. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:

On 2004-01-20 00:45, Pete Biro wrote:

You should be as good a performer as Phil Cass. His shell game is two cuts above the standard stuff. Smile

Pete, I'm with you. I think Phil Cass has a wonderful routine, one that can play to a very large audience.

His routine takes the attention away from the table and up into the relationship between the spectator and the performer. He turns it from a sleight-of-hand trick into a contest of will and psychological manipulation.

I have seen him perform this live many times. It is a very original take, and, even though it is not for me, I have enjoyed it very much.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1878 Posts

Profile of ASW
I'd rather see Cass's "real" routine any day than hear another BS patter story about the county fair or your grampaw teaching you a lesson when you were a kid.

Cass uses the Oullet routine (a brilliant handling) and dresses it up with an intense presentation that audiences love. Well LAY audiences, anyway. On the other hand, when Oullet does the routine on the Revelations tapes, it's truly soporific. (Sorry Gary - I enjoyed your book, though).

I've also seen Cass do this routine many times for lay audiences and a couple of times at conventions, and it's really one of the greatest routines ever - it's truly a clash of wills and has some very funny moments too. All you have to do is look at the audience to see they are lapping it up. But magicians get this puritannical self-denial thing happening - "oh how shocking!" Magicians also seem to conveniently forget that Cass actually thanks the "sucker" and makes them look like a hero for putting up with the pressure.

Thank goodness for people like Phil Cass who push the boundaries and ensure magic (some magic) is contemporary and thrilling.

"Hope this helps!" (LOL)

Andrew
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Glad to hear some strong evidence about the Cass shellgame... what a revelation to see how far one can take such a simple trick. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I couldn't agree more. In fact Eugene Burger and I spent hours one night in Perth talking about what great theater and original and creative magical thinking went into Phil's shells and his whole stage act, which is very much in the vein of his shell game, and pushes the audience right to the edge. "Trust me."

Much like Gazzo, Phil digs himself into a hole in which the audience is ready to turn on him and hate him--one that it looks like he will never get out of--and then he slowly climbs out and wins them over in a virtuoso performance that turns everything on its head. Phil is a first class actor as well as a first class magician. He has nerves of brass, in fact, he has many parts brass.

If you haven't seen his whole 45 minute stage show, you have missed one of the most original and brilliant pieces of stagecraft in magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Golden Shells, yes, but... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL