The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » The best close-up case I ’ve found (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
This one is a very small case, 9"x15"x2"deep
or around the same size as my retangular closeup pads. I will be fabricating a steel frame to support the lid and allow the bottom to drop down as an angled shelf that is also supported. On the bottom of the frame I will attach a flange for a stand. Around that I will skirt the three (outside)sides with a nice red or black velvet skirt.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
I'm kind of a basket case, and now available at just $49.95. But what would you pay? I'll slash the price in half, AND throw in the Ginsu Knives.

Seriously though, there are many cases - how much stuff do you want to haul to your close-up show? Less is more, in my opinion. I like and use the doctor's bag, which affords some audience members a few jokes (At least I hope they were kidding!) I like using different cases for different shows - packed, checked, and ready to go! Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Great Ideas!!
For what my 2 cents is worth, I try to keep my close-up act in a case about the size of a shaving kit. Actually, come to think of it, it is a shaving kit. About 8" x 8" and about 4-5" thick. Two compartments that zipper shut. It holds a lot of stuff.
I figure if I need more than what this case can hold I'm either in serious trouble or I have to work a gig that will last about 24 hours!! Ciao,
Vinny D. Smile Smile Smile
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
There are some bags at Best Buy which are used for video cameras. They are about the size of a doctor's bag...sort of a spaceage dr bag. They have several and various sized compartments, some sewn-in elastic thingies to hold knives and paddles, zippered mesh compartments to hold coins, etc.

some come with shoulder straps and or belt loops. Most of them are under $50.

I've also seen some at kmart and walmart.
Packman
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Packman
I found my case at Lowe's hardware. You can check the out online at Lowes.com It is one of the aluminum tool cases. You would not beleive what all you can fit in them!!!!!!!
Erik Anderson
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
171 Posts

Profile of Erik Anderson
I've used a doctor's bag for about 2 years now in a number of different restaurants. It is small enough to carry with you. (In a really crowded place I work out of my pockets anyway and put the case somewhere out of the way where I can get to it when I need to.)

And while it doesn't carry everything, I really don't want to look like a pack mule going from table to table anyway so I rotate the material I carry. It carries more than enough to see me through a multiple night of work. It opens on top, stays open, takes up no more space at my feet open than it does closed, and doesn't tip over when open. And on occasion, standing, I've "lapped" a sponge ball or chop cup ball off the table into the open case on the floor.

It's easily organized. I built a divided tray that sits in the bottom using cardboard and black duct tape (it's never seen anyway) for just a couple of dollars.

I've used briefcases, camera cases, tape cases, shaving kits, etc. This is by far my favorite. It looks professional, it fits my style and it fits the places I work. That I suppose is what is important, whatever you use.

Smile
Erik "Aces" Anderson

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." ~ Mark Twain

http://www.acesanderson.com
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I used to use a Halliburton camera case. It's made of aluminum, has a water tight seal and two locking latches. This case is lined with foam and so rugged that you don't have to worry about airline baggage smashers or run-ins with elephants in heat. Unfortunately, it's rather pricey and so heavy that a few years ago I decided to rest my case.

My substitute is a small leather shoulder bag that I picked up in the Plaka in Athens. It has a main compartment and an outside pocket, both of which are closed by a buckle down flap. When I bought it (cheap) it was raw leather, light in color and quite stiff.
Numerous applcations of Neatslene (a boot grease) have darkened the color and made the leather very soft and flexible. It's light weight, looks good and works just great for me.

Still holding the bag,

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Can anyone send me the Lowe's link to that $25 Aluminum case everyone is talking about?

I can't find it on the site under toolboxes.

Thanks.
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
Great tips!
I just need to know the equivalent in Spain
:(
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

http://www.tiendamagia.com

Foro de magia en Castellano!

www.magiapotagia.com
Danno
View Profile
New user
Boston
94 Posts

Profile of Danno
I don't have much to say beyond what has already been said except that I just bought one at Lowes and it really is terrific. Looks professional, cheap, and it holds SOOOO much. This has really got me organized. Thank you to whoever found this originally!

Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Does anyone have a link to the chest at Lowes.com? I can't find it either.

Thanks!

Steve H Smile
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Tommy1324
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
104 Posts

Profile of Tommy1324
I got the same case from Lowe's myself.It was suggested to me from a magician in Atlantic City.Now I was lucky enough to get it autographed by Jeff McBride when he was performing there this past spring.So I guess I'll hold onto it for quite a long time.
Tommy1324
sebbyg
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Hill, NJ
117 Posts

Profile of sebbyg
I believe the LOWES case is called the Guardforce 18" Heavy-Duty Aluminum Tool Case. you can see it on line here:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productD......VGC-5200
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
I don't understand using a Doctor's bag for holding magic gear. Does a doctor use a magic wand when he operates? Of all the Doctors I see or know, not one of them has the old Drs. House call bag. You think someone would make a bag in the shape of a Magician's hat.
I have one of those close up cases that Kingstardog mentioned. Serves it's purpose nicely except for small items get knocked around. I might check out the case from Lowes everyone is talking about. For 20 buck it can't hoirt.

M. Perk Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like the doctors bag look. I think it's better than a metal looking case.

It's a little mysterious, leather, old, and wizardish.

And like you say, doctors don't use them anymore so we should!!!

When I have my close-up case open kids especially like to peek in there, etc.

With a bag like that, nobody can see inside unless they're looking straight down on top of it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Russ
View Profile
Regular user
Muskogee, Oklahoma
131 Posts

Profile of Russ
I have just won an auction on eBay. It was for a "Deluxe Magic Close-up Case w/ Pad". The measurements are 14 14 X 8 12 X 2 34 (a little larger then a 3-ring binder)and made out of oak wood.

The case, when unlatched has a slight tilt up at the back for better spectator viewing. There is a space cut out in the top for an Apollo "table hopper" pad. I haven't had a chance to use it, but I think I am going to like it.

I have all ways had reservation about using something like this in a restaurant environment. With something like this, I don't have to stuff my pockets. Have you ever had someone ask you if you "are you glad to see us or is that a Jiggernaut in your pocket?". Smile

I think it is made by Deluxe Magic. Been unable to find an online dealer that sells them. Has anyone heard of them?

If you are interested in what it looks like I'll send you picture of it.

I just though I would give it a try and if it doesn't work out, I'll just try something else.

Russ
"All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Thanks for the links and tips.

I've tracked down a version of the metal close up case where I live. Thanks to everyone.
BobSmith
View Profile
New user
Michigan
2 Posts

Profile of BobSmith
Went to Lowe's tonight and picked up the $20(US) case. I've paid more money for some horrible magic videos/tricks/supplies - in comparison, this case is worth WAY more than 20 bucks.

My wife and I own an entertainment business and these cases could be used for microphones, music, and countless other items.. in addition to my magic. Smile

This model is from a company called Taskforce. I have to believe you can buy this somewhere besides Lowe's, so here's more info: Distributed by L G Sourcing, Inc. (http://www.lgsourcing.com); Item #24981

Just get one. Hey, it's almost Christmas! Smile

Bob Smith
KARAOKEINFO.com
ShowTime Entertainment
Southeast Michigan
Bob Smith (obviously an alias)
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1487 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I've been looking for a case like that with foam for YEARS and now here you guys are showing me where to get it for $20. SHWING! Thanks!
Spade
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Spade
Would anyone of you guys know where to get a good deal on a case in Canada?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » The best close-up case I ’ve found (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL