The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » The best close-up case I ’ve found (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I was at Wal-Mart just buying everyday items when I came across an overnight cosmetic bag. It kind of looks like a small briefcase and it folds out and it can be hung from a door of any other place and has compartments and large pockets. It is big enough to hold my cups and balls and just about everything I need and a whole lot more, all for the clearance price of $2.50. Talk about bargain hunting. I went back and picked up an extra one for back up!! Keep your eyes open , you never know what you may find!
Life of Magic!
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I went to Lowes yesterday and bought an incredible wood tool-chest and tool-box. The chest is for at home, has a large top storage area and a dozen drawers that hold cards, coins, ropes, etc. The tool box is large enough to hold all of my close-up stuff and looks very professional. Bought them both for under $80!!
William Holcomb
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
The only thing I don't like about my Lowe's $20 case are the removable, repositionable barriers for the bottom section. No matter how you work it, you can't use all of them. I played with them for an hour and couldn't figure out what they were trying to do.

Weird.

Other than that, it is top notch.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I have not had a problem using all the barriers. I have several of these cases. I bought the first one for $75. Then I found them at Lowes. I don't use all the barriers in the case at the same time anyway since some of my close up things are larger than the sections.

I also keep my video camera, mic and regular camera in one of these cases. These cases are very good protection for traveling.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
For those of you that do not have a Lowes near by, I have just picked up a technicians tool case from Home Depot for $17.99. It sounds much like the Lowes model and looks great, is sturdy and holds quite a bit of stuff. These are located in the tool department and the sales person said they have been very popular lately. At that price, I wonder why.

Snidini
Faroshuffle
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA (Orangevale)
69 Posts

Profile of Faroshuffle
Another Lowes Tool Case fan! I bought one a while back from Harbor Freight for around 20 bucks, but it was pretty cheap construction. This Lowes case is GREAT!!!!!

See what happens when we network our sources! Smile
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3220 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I went to a sporting goods store, picked up an aluminum pistol case. It has removable foam cut-outs so you can customize the case, and of course it is lockable. I paid $30.00. Seems almost exactly like the Lowes product. I would reccomend the Lowes case, seems like the best deal.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
319 Posts

Profile of Gerald
For something different than at Lowe's: there are some really great cases at Office Max or Office Depot if the soft sided type is your cup of tea. There are really nice leather cases for around $100, down to nylon/canvas type for around $30. All have compartments and pockets in different configurations and sizes. There are also brief cases, catalog cases and travel carryons which might be of interest.

Regards,
Gerald
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
How do you place your gimmicks with magnets like Raven and Bat to keep them from demagnetizing each other in a bag?
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I have 3 of the tool cases that I bought from Lowes. I use one for my general purpose stand up show, one for all my silks, and one for my wireless mic. I also bought a chrome tray jack from a restaurant supply company for $14.00 that matches my case and it looks great on stage. Not a bad table for $34.00.
Mysticated
View Profile
New user
Texas
16 Posts

Profile of Mysticated
Thank God I found this post! I was just saying to myself "Self, you need a better way to carry your stuff!" This should be great! Thanks for the info.

Well, I got the case and then put it all together with all my stuff, realized that it looked kind of empty, and then I bought more stuff!!! Dangerous stuff that empty space is!!! Smile
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Yup, Mysticated isn't lying....he really, TRULY did purchase this case. I saw it with my own two eyes.

Scout's honor.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
I own both the case from Lowes and the one from Home Depot. IMO the case from Lowes is nicer looking with the black tip corners. However, the case from Home Depot is more functional because the corners are square and there is more usable space.
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
135 Posts

Profile of lhughes
First off thanks for the tip on the cases from Lowes. In Canada, I have seen aluminum tool cases like Lowes in Canadian Tire (check website) and other hardware stores (Revy,Home Depot). I bought mine in Canadian Tire ( my son bought one as a gig bag for his guitar accessories - now the entire music college wants them.) Great idea!
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
You're all fanatics. I like that.

I found the lesser case at Lowe's per the link, but can't find a link or the brand that it's marketed under at Home Depot.

Also, where can we buy the flange for the Eureka table base besides magic dealers? Yes, I'm cheap. I'm still making payments on Grandfather's castle back home.

ATPG

UPDATE Jul 27 2003

Adendum:

I ordered the flange from Viking directly - they shipped it the next day. Great folks.

As for the Lowes/Home Depot case: Budget-wise, go the aluminum case at either Home Depot or Lowe's (you can find a link in this thread). At $25, the case is amazing, tough,and presentable.

However, rather than sticking a tripod mount onto it, a friend suggested having the case rest on piece of wood which I painted black, and into which I drilled 4 holes for the rubber feet to fit into.

It's stable, looks sharp, and the case doesn't have a tripod mount sticking out of it.

ATPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
If you have a "Harbour Freight Tools Store" in your area they too have the cases at a lower price than the Home Improvement Stores....

I purchased four of them several months back.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I have a case I bought off of ebay just want to make sure that what you are talking about is the same case. The Lowes aluminum cases have plastic walls, with aluminum edges? Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Several years ago, I went into a camera store and bought a professional camera bag.

The bag has moveable dividers, so I can configure the interior any way I need, the external side pockets fit my combo cups & balls set on one side and the final loads on the other, thought I usually keep them inside the main portion of the bag, anyway.

The front has 2 flat pockets on the exterior side that are perfect for three decks of cards each, or for a P&L card box or any prop of similar dimension.

The back has a flat, zippered compartment that's perfect for a clipboard, notepad, etc.

Also, internally, there is a mesh bag at the top which is perfect for putting my gaffed coins and smaller items (like reels and ITS's) into for safekeeping.

It has both a top handle and an adjustable shoulder strap.

Cost, though, is a bit high at about $100 US.

But it holds EVERYTHING, wears like iron, doesn't weigh anything, empty, and is properly padded to insure the safety of my props.

Wouldn't part with it, frankly.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Monte
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Monte
I have found a doctor's briefcase and that has been perfect for walkaround and restaurant work. Inside it has "slots" what sections of the sides are blocked off and allows perfect space of cards and rope etc. Smile
Monte, as in the 3 cards.
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Quote:
On 2003-08-04 20:41, Monte wrote:
I have found a doctor's briefcase and that has been perfect for walkaround and restaurant work. Inside it has "slots" what sections of the sides are blocked off and allows perfect space of cards and rope etc. Smile

Any particular manufacturer or model number on your case?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » The best close-up case I ’ve found (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL