The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chop Cup or Cups and Balls to Start? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Stuper, you might want to consider a little break though. Say, do your one cup routine. Then leave it on the table while you do an ambitious card and maybe Matrix or float something. Then come back, "Oh yeah, hey, about this cup..."

Kind of like eating crackers between items in a taste test - to clear your palate.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2013 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2004, Lee Darrow wrote:
Sean, I guess we might disagree on that. The method is of relatively little importance in any trick (so long as it remains a secret, of course). It's the impact that the trick has on the audience that is the defining thing in whether a trick is good or not - that and whether it fits one's personal performing style, obviously.

While the sleight of hand purists (and I am one to a large extent) decry the use of gimmicks, I have seen someone with a good script and a Brainwave deck, a Raven and a copper/silver/brass set completely blow away a guy that rivalled Jeff McBride in the manipulation department.

It all comes down to the presentation, not the mechanics. Your mileage may vary, of course and opinions differ, but, when it comes to entertaining an audience, gimmick or non-gimmick is not even a consideration for me. It all comes down to how astonishing (or funny) a routine is that determines which effects go in and which effects don't.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.H.

This is correct, as Jamy Ian Swiss mentions in one of his articles "The method is not the trick." You can accomplish much more amazing things with gaffs and gimmicks than you could with just sleight of hand. I combine both for maximum impact. However being very skilled in sleights allows you to maneuver gimmicks a lot more smoothly, and change gaffs/gimmicks in and out if needed. When you get down to it though all that matters is if the effect astonished and entertained the audience not "how" it was accomplished.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I would suggest you focus on what you think would be most entertaining in the end. Between the two, the performance that was most entertaining and inspirational to me was Paul Daniel's Chop Cup routine. That made me more interested in chop cups than cups and balls.

Start with the end in mind.

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chop Cup or Cups and Balls to Start? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL