The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Just checking in ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Hi all: I was just checking in been awhile.

We had a good season 271 standing room only shows out of 280. We just completed 2 shows as part of a fundrasier this last weekend. we had a fun rope tie in which the challengers did some good damage. Im seated in a chair and they tied my neck several wraps then brought the rope around my left ear across my left eye then over the nose and across down over my right eye. They used so much force that I have black eye, black ear and large rope burns in places you shouldnt get them.

The box challenge was fun too the challenger used 2-1/2" screws instead of what he told me he would use and longer lag bolts than agreed got out but hard work.

I have enclosed the news story below and it also mentions a mental test called pleasure and pain best to all. Michael PS let me know what you think of the new downloadable video on our site escapeguy.com

Escape artist shows skills, helps local ice rink

By Jason Main
Advocate Reporter

NEWARK -- Escape artist Michael Griffin defied death and a lighter bank account Saturday during two performances at the Newark Municipal Ice Rink. Griffin showcased his talent for escaping from a variety of restraints, such as straight jackets, ropes and chains, during two benefit shows at the 936 Sharon Valley Road facility, with proceeds going toward needed improvements at the rink. Griffin said he heard the rink needed to be refurbished and wanted to try to help. So he contacted Newark Parks and Recreation Department Director Ralph Prince and offered to perform a couple of shows as a fund-raiser.

"That's what we're here for -- to fix this place up," Griffin said.

During his 7 p.m. performance, Griffin took on a challenge to escape from a wooden packing crate students from Career and Technology Education Centers of Licking County built, pledging to give $100,000 to Newark's Rink Renovation Fund if he was unable to get out. Prince said Griffin escaped from the box within 10 minutes, taking him off the hook for the donation.

Aside from generating money for needed improvements, the parks department hoped the event would help showcase the facility to the public, said Graham Campbell the parks and recreation department's special events coordinator.

"I think the most important thing for us is to raise awareness about this facility," Campbell said. "The hope is that this gives people an idea that positive things are being done at the facility. If we make a little bit of money, that would be good, too."

The ice rink was built as an outdoor facility in 1988; the building that now encloses it was constructed in 1992. In October, Mayor Bruce Bain said the facility needs renovations costing between $250,000 and $500,000 in order to stay in operation past this season. Among the needs are a new dehumidifier system, Prince said.

From a stage constructed on the center of the ice, Griffin proceeded to wiggle his way out of a number of confinement devices. During one segment, called the East Indian Needle Mystery, he swallowed 80 needles and a length of string, asked an audience member to verify they were not hidden in his mouth and then pulled the string back out with the needles dangling from it.

In another part of the act, Griffin turned his back while audience member Cathy Chapman covered four spots on two lengths of wood with Styrofoam cups and secured them with rubber bands; underneath one of the cups was a sharp metal spike. Griffin then crushed the cups with his bare hands, leaving only the cup containing the spike intact.

"I don't know how he did it because I didn't even know where it was after I covered it," Chapman said.

For his finale, Griffin had two Newark police officers confine him with handcuffs and leg irons after he was searched to make sure he did not have anything to aid his escape. He then stepped inside a large canvass bag -- which he said contained only two minutes worth of oxygen when closed -- that was pulled up over his head and cinched tight with a leather strap.

After writhing around on the floor inside of the bag for a short time-- several times nearly toppling from the stage before his assistant pulled him back from the edge-- Griffin emerged, freed from his bonds.

Email this story

Get home delivery of The Advocate for just $12.35/month.

Originally published Sunday, December 19, 2004

Click here to view attached image.
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Thanks for the update and a job well done.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Wel Done. Next challenge, the W.E.A.R.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I might be doing two or three depending on what happens.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Two or three what Don? Escapes?
*Wolf gives a suspicious look*
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Wolfie of course escapes. what did you think I was going to. do a ballet dance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Just checking in ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL