The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Not Your Usual Hospital Performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Yesterday I was in the hospital for throat surgery to cure my sleep apnea.

After I'd been wheeled into the operating room and slid onto the operating table, one of the nurses asked why I had rubber bands on my left write. I explained that I am a magician and that I do magic with rubber bands; she wanted to see some. Because my IV was in my left hand I couldn't get the rubber bands off, but I told her that if she found me a couple more I'd show her some magic. She was back in a flash for a quick performance of Crazy Man's Handcuffs.

This was the first time that I had done the routine lying on my back staring up at the ceiling, the first time I had done it under sedation ("This will relax you," said the anesthesiologist), and the first time the surgical team had been entertained by a magician on the operating table.

After the operation (it went perfectly, according to the surgeon), I did the same routine for the recovery nurses. I also passed out a few business cards, enabling me to write off the mileage to and from the hospital.

Not bad!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Great story! Merry Christmas and a speedy recovery!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Lol the sign of a true magician. Magic on the operating table! Maybe you have discovered a new venue? Hope you get well soon!
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I just hope that I don't get booked there too often!
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
I'm glad you killed them rather than the other way around.
A speedy recovery to you!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mazel Tov and Tzie Gesundt. OK I'm showing off.

May you recover quicker than the doctors say you should and may you work less and make more money than before.
Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Hi Bill

I assume you made sure the operating table was facing the right way round before they made the first cut!! Smile

All the best for a speedy recovery
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Hey get well soon!
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
What a great story - hope you have a quick recovery! Hope you will entertain others at the hospital in the future, but not as a patient!
mecky008
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of mecky008
Lol I like that. Good luck to you and Merry Christmas.
The real art of magic distracting your audience with your eyes body and mouth while your hands do the real work....
Irtaza
View Profile
Elite user
& Basketballer Ontario,Canada
458 Posts

Profile of Irtaza
Hope you get well Smile
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
If you were a real magician you would have been able to get them off your wrist.

Speedy recovery.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Hope you are feeling better. I can relate and with the same trick!

A few years ago, I had to have three wisdom teeth pulled and a molar that had cracked in an accident. After surgery, the doc commented that I had been very difficult to put "out" and that I was heavily medicated and that it would be a while before I could walk to the car (my wife was going to drive me home).

While reclining on the recovery couch, I did CMH for him. By the time I was through, I had done it for every member of his staff, yet I couldn't stand up at all!

Muscle memory is a wonderful, if slightly scary, thing.

Feel better soon!

Lee Darrow, C.h.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Thanks, everyone!

I had my first follow-up visit yesterday and the surgeon said that I'm healing up nicely. The nurse was rather stunned to learn that I'd gone horseback riding yesterday morning, and Sunday as well - she thought that I might be "pushing" a bit too hard.

I'm not sure why riding a horse should matter for a sore throat; I simply got back to doing what I love to do as soon as I felt ready to do it.

Happy New Year!
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Glad to hear your doing well.

Happy New Year to you too.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I had surgery to both hands (not at the same time) and for the second one they had on the instructions for the operating crew the WRONG HAND... they were going to do the same one over again.

Luckily I spotted the error and moved the previously done hand under my body.

I had been kidding about taking a sharpie and writing "NOT THIS ONE" on the hand, now I wish I had.

I started to tell a joke to the anesthesiologist and suddenly noted the overhead light had changed. I asked the nurse what happened to the big light?

She said "That was two hours ago, you're in the recovery room."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2120 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
2000mag,
Wow, cool story, but I'm sure there are easier, less expensive ways to promote yourself to hospitals!
As English-speakers say in Japan, "get well soon!"
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Happy to hear all is well, Bill.
Now move up here so we can session and "do lunch".
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Peter:

Great minds think alike.

In 1994 I had the ACL in my left knee replaced in New Jersey. When the surgeon came in to chat with me before the surgery he looked at the chart and said, "Let's see, left knee, that's this one," as he pointed to my right knee. Everybody's a comedian.

Three years later I tore the ACL in my right knee and had it replaced here in California. The day before the surgery I took a Sharpie and wrote across my left knee, NOT THIS KNEE. My GP - who was to be assisting on the surgery - thought it was hilarious. The surgeon apparently did not.

By the way, on the first operation I was told that it would take about two hours, and it started at 1:00 PM. I awoke suddenly in the recovery room when I heard two people talking: one asked the time and the other said that it was 5:00. "It can't be 5:00," I thought, "I was supposed to be done about 3:00." As it turned out, I had a fair amount of shattered bone and torn cartilege in my knee, so the surgery took about 3-1/2 hours, not 2.
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Better to be booked in the hospital than the morgue! Smile

Get well soon!
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Not Your Usual Hospital Performance (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL