The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The web... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tschirhart
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of tschirhart
The Web: is this actually frightening? the effect if you're unfamiliar, is you do some false deal in the specs hands turning blank cards to cards with webs on them. when she turns her hand over, there's a big fake spider stuck to the back. it's supposed to be mildy impressive, but fun because it startles the spec. what kind of reactions have you gotten from this
???
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
This has never failed to elicit a scream and a "How did that GET there??!!"

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
tschirhart
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of tschirhart
That's surprising, I had low expectations for this one.
Verno Inferno
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
132 Posts

Profile of Verno Inferno
This one you should have seen performed before reading its description. My lil' spider needs to be replaced because it disappeared after the spectator ripped it off and threw it during a Halloween party. It gets big reactions. You may be hated for a while when you startle someone, but it's usually worth it Smile
MetalBender
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of MetalBender
I very rarely do packet tricks when I'm working, and after doing this trick a couple of times it went straight into my repitoure. I like to do a lot of my own effects, but this one just blew me away after I did it. Well worth it, I realy realy realy reeeeeeeaaaallllly like it.
"Magic up close and personal, the way is should be."

http://www.DelusionMasters.com
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
This one always struck me with a feeling like the performer is using magic as a sharp stick to poke people with. Michael Ammar preaches against this attitude, as does Jay Sankey. Magic is not a bloodsport, but a theatrical artform. We would all be wise to uplift it as such.
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
JarrodHenry
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JarrodHenry
I'm not a fan of using magic to beat the hell out of someone's emotion. I'm with Carrie SUe and Jay Sankey and the greats on this one. Our goal should be to entertain, not scare/shock to the point of overreaction.
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of flipped
Some people get really scared. I did it to this one girl and the girl next to her saw the spider on the girl I was perform to's hand and yelled out spider on your hand! and screamed. The girl I was performing it to saw the spider and started screaming and jumping. Flinging her arm trying to get the spider off. I was doing this in a school hallway, so it caused quite a sence.
JarrodHenry
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of JarrodHenry
FLipped:

Do you think people remember you or any of the tricks you did in that routine, or just the end result of some girl screaming?

It's sad that modern magic isn't about the illusion, but more about some happless harpy screaming her head off, cussing, and stuttering "no way.."

You're being marginalized by performing those tricks.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2004-12-23 18:56, JarrodHenry wrote:
I'm not a fan of using magic to beat the hell out of someone's emotion. I'm with Carrie SUe and Jay Sankey and the greats on this one. Our goal should be to entertain, not scare/shock to the point of overreaction.

You guys have convinced me to remove the large real spider from my act and use the plastic one again. Thanks.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
Huh. I was thinking of using a live tarantula for this one. Smile
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I'm sure if you search you'll find tons of input on "The Web".

In my view it's in the same category as the "Shock Lighter". It's a trick best shared with people you know. JMO.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Lets just say... if done properly... the catch line "It's Reaction Time" is understatement of the century Smile
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of flipped
Quote:
On 2004-12-23 19:05, JarrodHenry wrote:
FLipped:

Do you think people remember you or any of the tricks you did in that routine, or just the end result of some girl screaming?

It's sad that modern magic isn't about the illusion, but more about some happless harpy screaming her head off, cussing, and stuttering "no way.."

You're being marginalized by performing those tricks.

Ya, they remember me. Most everyone knew me as the magician at school.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
If you want to load something on someone's hand, why not caterpillar love?
I do not like the directions in the WEB.
I know some will say everyone should know what a flustration count is, but if this move is a huge part of the trick, they should tell you how to do it in the instructions.
YES, they will scream. Good for halloween with people you know.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
There are situations, where "The Web" can be a very good trick. Ans then there are other situations......

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
The web is simply another cheap trick that Penguin has decided to sell to make the proverbial "easy buck." I suspect the trick startles people for a second, but its not, say, something powerful they'll remember for their whole lives.

flipped, I refer you to the following:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?da......mp;res=l
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
I do magic for entertainment. The web always entertains people. Go for it, always generates a reaction.
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
For friends and family, it's great fun. Wonderful reactions and tons of laughter.
For a paying customer? Absolutely no way.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Don't mistake a wild reaction for entertainment.

It's the same as the aphorism, "A flourish does not a performance make."
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The web... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL