The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Great Chain Escape by Malloy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
I just got the Great Chain Escape by Malloy Modern Magic for Christmas and am having trouble with the directions. The problem comes in between illustration 4 & 5. Actually it seems that no matter how I'm locked up I can still slip my hands out. I would appreciate some tips from others who have this as well. I'm new at escapes so maybe I'm missing something I should already know.
A. Mark Wilson
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Is this escape like the siberian chain escape.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/chain_escape.htm

Doesn't look like it.

I can't assist from only the pic, sorry.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Yes, it's hard to say from the photo..

If there are two rings, then it's likely to be a variation of the Siberian Transport chain. If there are three rings, it will probably be a variant of the Burling Hull Chain release.

Although you say you can slip your hands no matter how you are locked up, try turning your wrist(s) a little in the opposite direction (after the padlock has been put in place) so the chain looks really tight and can be seen to be pressing into your skin! The late David DeVal explains this ruse very well on his tape. A little acting will go a long way with this type of release. With any chain release method, you must convince the spectators that the binding is really tight.

Riley
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Are you following the instructions. as they say to do so.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Webhead...Riley has some excellent advice there, I'd follow that. Remember that most chain escapes are harder to keep on than get out off...
I still to this day use my German transport chain (at home for guests). I bought it from Joe Tanner years and years ago, I was told recently that they are no longer made...lucky me !
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hey Rick, for the newbies like me who are unfamiliar with the German transport chain, would you explain the setup? Does it look similar to the Siberian chain escape? And Does anyone know where I can still get a copy of the David De-Val tape?
Thanks for the assistance.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
The German Transport Chain is the basis for the Siberian Chain. The difference is that the German Transport chain was/is a legitimate police restraint.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Ahhh thanks Steve.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Quote:
On 2004-12-26 19:21, AJP807 wrote:
..does anyone know where I can still get a copy of the David De-Val tape?
Thanks for the assistance.
Best regards, Tony Parisi

Tony, you should be able to get the tape from Jeanni Magic UK, same address as you got the DeVal effect "Flash Harry"

Regards

Riley
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Try doing a search I beleive some Magic Shops in the States might Have them to.
Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
Thanks for the help guys. The instructions are just a set of pictures with barely any words. I guess being able to get out of them easily is not really the problem. The directions show a slight variation to use on a spec so that it would be impossible for them to get out. I've tried to follow the directions on that variation on myself but I can still get them off. I suppose that aspect of the trick is not really important because I don't think I would use it as sort of a puzzle presentation where I say "I can do it but you can't". I will probably use it in another way. I'll just have to play around with it a little more.
A. Mark Wilson
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'll call and ask them for help as well. or maybe someone put a ring in the wrong place.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Riley, thanks for the post. They had crossed my mind after I posted. I'll be emailing them directly. Thanks again. Tony Parisi
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Webhead did you figure it out yet ?
Webhead93
View Profile
New user
Florida
74 Posts

Profile of Webhead93
Sort of. I think I understand the concept. It's all about setting it up so that you have enough slack to get out when you're doing it and setting it up slightly different when you tie up a spec so that they have no slack.
A. Mark Wilson
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Webhead - Let me know if your chain has TWO or THREE rings and I'll PM you.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I think his has two ?
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Don, I've sent Webhead some info by PM on the assumption that his chain has
two rings.

Three rings are not often seen these days, which is a pity because it looks
a great chain release but probably too much trouble to make.

Regards

Riley
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Riley Thank you and lets Hope the Guess is Correct.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Great Chain Escape by Malloy (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL