The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Manipulation Without Tears DVD - Jeff McBride (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Anyone hear of this? Sounds interesting, I wonder how much it actually differs from his original series?

Sleight of hand magic is perhaps the most technically demanding of all areas of performance magic, and perhaps the most rewarding. One must have both drive and diligence to perform sleight of hand magic. I meet many magicians who have the desire to be a great manipulator, but they work on their excuses more than on their technique....

"My hands are too small," or "My hands don't work as well as they used to," or, "I don't have the time to practice manipulation as much as I would like to."

I have offered up this material for the magician who has only limited skill or time to practice. Often, complicated sleight of hand routines take many months or years of practice before you can experience the results. These routines and effects are designed with minimum practice involved, and almost immediate results. Routines like these do take some practice, but will give you more rewards than blisters, more "wows" than "ouches." The manipulation exercises and effects are here to help you build confidence, and perhaps will trick you into becoming a sleight of hand artist.

--Jeff McBride

What People Are Saying:

"I enjoyed Manipulation Without Tears enormously. [The DVD] is a mine of pragmatic information that would otherwise take years to find; it has sound professional advice and enough material to build the basis of several numbers. For the seasoned pro it has new slants, twists and information that takes years of performances to find. The explanations and instructions are clear and succinct. In short, a lot of fun and worth every penny."

-Sonny hayes, professional magician, UK

"On Manipulation Without Tears (which is TOTALLY awesome) right after you explain about the device made from the cd case it cuts into a manipulation sequence. You start with a fanning deck, do some fans, then cards from mouth and then your productions. Jeff, with that music combined with that act was one of the most amazing and beautiful things I have ever seen. That was just fantastic the way you put that together."

-Craig Krisulevicz, magician, Philadelpia

"Loved your new DVD, Manipulation Without Tears. What's weird is that after practicing doing the McBluff move with cards, I can now produce singles, the 'old fashioned way' with a few cards back-palmed."
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Caution
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Caution
The flourishes are auwful and there are only a couple. Maybe you should put this is pick a card section. Flourishes, these are the worst fans next to Rob Stiff and Jay anyone has witnessed.
Mike
UBKuel, IBkuel.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Brad,
I bought this DVD and the booklet when it originally came out (mid 2003). Here is a review I posted on the Café at that time...

Quote:
On 2003-08-06 13:21, Danny Diamond wrote:
OK, here is my review on the new Jeff McBride DVD, Manipulation without Tears...

New McBluff Production: Jeff teaches a new variation on his McBluff Production, from the AOCM series. I like this technique and I can see myself using it. It is very simple and looks pretty good.

Card to Silk: I really like the startling look of this transformation. Again, it is very simple to perform and I can definitely see myself using this to transition from cards to a silk routine or effect. Jeff shows a special utility device that he created for performing this effect, which is pretty neat.

Jumbo Cards: This is a very visual transformation from two fans of regular cards, into two fans of jumbo cards. This routine requires a special prop or props, which I do not have, and I am not sure if I will be in a rush to pick up these props. This is not to say that the effect is not great, it's just that I don't personally have a strong desire to do a jumbo card routine. But again, it's a very quick and pretty transformation, I liked it.

Card Production: Jeff goes over another fairly basic routine involving some productions of single cards and some fans, as well as some color changing fans, ending in cards from mouth. Most of this stuff was on the AOCM series, which I own, so I found this material repetitive. There were some good pointers on steals and misdirection on it though.

Inside the Box: This was pretty interesting. Jeff explained how he sets up his box or hat that he uses as he's performing a routine. He makes some suggestions for loading your storage container for easy access during the performance.

Coins: Jeff does a Miser's Dream routine here. He shows a couple different ways of doing this routine, both of which are fairly easy. I am not really a coin guy, but even I thought this section was a little too simple, I was not really overly impressed with this routine. The gimmick Jeff shows for one of these routines is pretty interesting, but I don't think I would use it.

Ball Manipulation: Jeff says this is his favorite vanish and production of a billiard ball, however, the routine is pretty basic and I didn't really care for it that much. The vanish is pretty simple but effective, I feel, but the production is weak to me. The new technique of producing multiple balls was pretty good. He placed them into his vest in the first version, and into a hat for the second version, I prefer the hat version.

Overall, this DVD was alright for me. I didn't hate it, but it didn't blow me away either. I really like McBride and I had very high hopes when ordering it, maybe I set my expectations too high. I did feel the DVD was too short, especially with a $35 price tag. I would also recommend it for beginner to novice magicians, not advanced manipulators.

I would rate it a 3 out of 5 (it might have been a 2.5 if anyone but McBride did this same DVD, but I gave him extra points because he is the MAN and he is a good teacher). With another half hour of material, this DVD could have been a 3.5 or a 3.75.

Well, that was a year and a half ago, and since that review, I have sold the DVD and booklet, and I would probably rate it even lower if I watched it and reviewed it again today. It is very much geared towards beginners, and from reading your posts, I know you have been in magic a long time and would probably not get much out of this DVD. I love McBride's AOCM series, but I do NOT recommend Manipulation Without Tears.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Thanks Danny I appreciate that. I was not really interested in purchasing the item personally, but thought it may be good for someone else who is indeed a beginner. For the most part I just was wondering if anyone had it, and could provide some feedback, and personal opinions on it. I am a McBride fan, so obviously I was curious. Thanks for the review. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Manipulation Without Tears DVD - Jeff McBride (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL