The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Earthquake/Tsunami's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I wanted to just send my condolences to our fellow Café members living or vacationing in the areas affected by Sunday morning's devistation in the South Pacific.

My heart goes out to you all.

Brian Proctor
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Same here....Here is a link to share what has happen over there.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12......dex.html

The best to all of you and your family's

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I'll echo that Brian,

There was a program on TV not so long ago about these disasters waiting to happen. You guys on the East coast of USA watchout !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami.shtml

Howard
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
What a sad day for humanity. This reminds us that we are nothing next to Nature. My heart goes out to all those families, especially the poorer ones (most of the victims) touched forever by this mega tragedy.

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
My thoughts and prayers are with those people effected by this disaster. We have members of The Café from some of those areas. I hope they and they are all. I wish we could hear from some of them and get an update.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
It is truly a sad day for the millions of people it has affected.

30,000 people dead - more than half of them children acording to the Red Cross.
10 countries hit
13 other countries have missing tourist whom were vacationing in many of those places.

I hope the world comes to the assistance of the countries in need and people from all over will send money to help.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I feel very sad for all of the losses. Today, a co-worker joked...."Well, that's Mother Nature's way of population control". Shortly after that statement he was very unpopular for the day. My prayers are with all!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
This is the sddest disaster after I was born. 'Tsunami' is an English but its origin is Japanese word. Japan has suffered so many earthquakes and Tsunami, but we never had such a big earthquake and Tsunami.

Stop the war, don't kill each other. The earth is angry!

Hideo Kato
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I've heard these comments over the years too friend from San Diego; i.e. "aids is God's wrath for uncleanliness" etc. They are attention grabbers and encourage base instincts.

If you have true feelings towards the human (and other species) race though, you cannot fail to be moved by disasters of this kind.

The death toll is partly man's fault, as other Oceans are monitored for activity, but apparently not this area. Just a couple of hours warning could have saved so many lives. But the event happened with horrendous consequences. Let's not forget the Iranian quake too, was it around the same time last year?

I sometimes feel the human race cannot control itself, let alone the planet Earth.

Tony.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
This is a sad event. My feelings go out to those affected.
I was shocked at the extent of the damage. Please bear in mind that as tsunami go this one was quite small.
Americans, please read this...
http://www.cdnn.info/article/tsunami/tsunami.html
a small section...
The eruption of a volcano in the Canary Islands could trigger a ''mega-tsunami'' that would devastate Atlantic coastlines with waves as high as 330 feet, scientists said on Wednesday.

(this is quite old information)
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Thanks Partizan! As a frequent visitor to Lanzarote we may even eventually retire there one day! Smile

Seriously though, yes, the volcanic activity is still active in Lanzarote! Visit Timanfaya National Park. Wear good shoes though as you can still feel the heat on the ground! Have a ride on a camel while you are there . . .

http://www.mma.es/parques/lared/timan/

Tony.

As I type this the BBC News is coming up with revised death toll numbers. This is just awful!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Tony - unfortunately, noone is prepared to spend the billions of dollars need to protect every stretch of coast line with early warning systems.

This disastor WAS predicted but no one knew who to call. How do you evacute dozens of countries and millions of people with just a few hours notice?
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Actually it was about 20 mins notice in some places and max of 2.5 hours in others...
Logic Defied
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
It is ashame. The death rate has went up to 116,000 now....so hard to believe. I wish the best for those that are left over there.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I believe India is now prepared to spend money on the latest 'pressure sensitive' ocean bottom devices from the USA.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
My cousin was in Thailand when it happened, quite close to the beach. She got washed away amongst the debris, but thankfully is alive and in a hospital. She haven´t seen her classmates since it happened. I´ve been crying most of the day today, as have my co-workers. The scale of this is just so hard to understand.

I´m praying for everyone affected by the event, and especially the ones lost in it.
Sent from my Typewriter
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Just terrible what happened and everybody if they can should donate to help rebuild and feed the thousands that are left homeless.
Has to be one of the worst disasters to happen that could have been prevented and saved many lives if they would have put in a warning system.
Whatever country you live in give whatever you can to help these people that are going through a terrible time with all the lost lives of loved ones.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
MV I'm sorry to hear what happened to your cousin.

TheHawk you are absolutely right as Michael stated at the beginning of this post. What ever you can afford - every bit helps. You can skip coffee at Starbucks for a few days, forgo buying that new pair of shoes or clothing, anything that is not as of importance to you as the ability that your few dollars can make a huge difference.
guido
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
152 Posts

Profile of guido
Buy only one less trick and donate that to this people. I think whatever low amount is better then nothing.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Heartbreaking beyond belief. Do we know if any Café members are affected or missing?
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Earthquake/Tsunami's (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL