We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Give to the catastrophe in Asia... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
I have given some. Remember it's better to give a little then not to give at all. I hope I will see many of you write here saying you have given some too.

At many organisations' sites you can pay with a credit card. Very easy.

Mikael
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Which country did you give to? I give to many causes through my taxes. I no longer give very much to any cause except the ones that I have a pretty good idea that the majority of the money that I donate goes to the cause and not go to administrative costs and the pockets of bureaucrats.
I give annually to our local food bank and the Seattle and Everett Gospel Missions.
I am glad there are people like you Mikael and I tip my hat to you. Too many people never give anything to anyone or any cause but I believe that people who never give are much poorer than those who could use their help. I just choose to give to people that I feel are not going to give less than half of what I give (and there are plenty that do).
I think our Government should help set up a world wide warning system to help keep down the fatality rate. We have a pretty awesome Tsunami warning system here in the Puget Sound.
Once again Mikael, Thanks for being there and I do hope there are plenty more like you.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-29 11:12, irossall wrote:
Which country did you give to? Smile

I gave to http://www.msf.org

Mikael
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I was on the UK Oxfam site last night Mikael. I am not too keen on the 'political' type statements Oxfam appear to get involved in making. When I go to my Bank when it's open there will surely be a collection box there for the Quake Disaster. So we'll have contributed to the Lloyds-TSB Bank collection, that's for sure.

Have just come in from a party (Wed.) here in Britain and note the Red Cross now are claiming the total will rise above 100,000 dead. Strangely enough, out of the foreign Nationals dead they are estimating over 1,000 Swedish deaths. So I take it that this part of the world must be very popular with Swedes over Christmas.

On another note, rather 'sick' to read that the Financial Markets do not estimate a large crisis caused by the quake, as it was not in 'first world' Countries, and not many people were insured! This may be the truth, but reading it just made me feel 'yuk'.

Tony.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Thailand seems to be very popular with swedes, and especially families with children. there are 6 confirmed deaths but 1400 swedes missing, so the number surely will rise.

Some media calls the entire catastrophe "The catastrophe in Thailand", although they believe 1600 people died in Thailand, and 45 000 died in Indonesia.

Mikael
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
"On another note, rather 'sick' to read that the Financial Markets do not estimate a large crisis caused by the quake, as it was not in 'first world' Countries, and not many people were insured! This may be the truth, but reading it just made me feel 'yuk'."

Tony, can you direct me to a source of this disgusting statement?
Thanks!
Iven Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the link Mikael

Jack Shalom
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have a friend who has worked for NGOs and the thai government who is setting up a small yet effective fund for thai children affected by the disastor. Since she works and lives near the affected area and knows much about it, I would trust her to ensure 100% of my donation gets to the right people.

Ivan - The problem with putting early warning systems every where is that it will cost a fortune and the countries with the money don't care enough about the countries WITHOUT the money to help them get warning systems. Six months from now most people in unaffected will have forgotten all about the event.

I would love to see our government to spend as much on victims of this tragerdy as they did on the war on terror following 911.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-12-29 22:20, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Ivan - The problem with putting early warning systems every where is that it will cost a fortune and the countries with the money don't care enough about the countries WITHOUT the money to help them get warning systems. Six months from now most people in unaffected will have forgotten all about the event.

I would love to see our government to spend as much on victims of this tragerdy as they did on the war on terror following 911.

I totally agree with your statement Nicholas. At the present time we are spending a BILLION dollars a week on the "War" in Iraq. I say let's just take one weeks worth of War funds and put up an early warning system. Maybe this is something the United Nations should address (that is if they are serious about the World's problems).
If people weren't dying and suffering it would be hilarious the notion that we don't think twice about spending a BILLION dollars a WEEK to destroy what doesn't need to be destroyed, while we balk at spending 35 million dollars TOTAL to help out the suffering of the innocent.
See if this balances: George Bush's Inauguration Party 40 million dollars, Help the victims of a major catastrophe 35 million dollars. Sounds right to me NOT!
Iven Smile

Afterthought: By the word We I really mean the more powerful in our Government.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
It seems like every UK newspaper and TV channel are setting up their own donation funds. At last count I have heard of over 12 UK donation funds. I doubt a fraction of the donated money will reach the people who need it or in a way that is useful to them.
Some seople in the UK are proposing using lottery money as donations. This after spending 1 billion GBP on a structure that over christmas was used to house homeless people, (millenium dome).
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-12-29 22:20, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:I would love to see our government to spend as much on victims of this tragerdy as they did on the war on terror following 911.

That's a very nice thought from you. Have you heard if any americans were affected in this catastrophe? do americans travel to Thailand and those parts of the world at all? It's very popular with europeans.

Mikael
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Yes there were American's there but unless they are considered important then they are just as expendable as everyone else. In America the only important people are some politician's or their close relatives, celebrities or professional athletes or the very wealthy. Not my feelings just the reality of life.
Iven Smile
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
The rather sick news about Financial Market reaction was on BBC TV Channel 2 text financial pages Iven.

Anyway, it's Thursday now, and I am very proud of my Country's quite amazing generosity; leading the way in bilateral amount collected. (USA has joined forces with Oz and India I believe to raise money).

Tony
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I'm also glad to hear that countries are helping the ones effected.

The News Hour reported that Spain has so far been the most generous, with I believe a 60 million dollar contribution.

Canada, I think has promised 40 million, upped from their original amount after the citizens protested and wanted to give more.

It's nice to hear that countries are sending help as it's the same planet we all share.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Ok, the race is on, and what a lovely race it is, of such generosity. UK now talking around 140 million dollars!!
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The US is up to 45million. That works out at about .50c from each American's taxes or to put it into terms Mr Bush can understand...about five hours worth of the war on terror.

Of course our Bonsai Prime Minister (geddit...he's a 'little bush') is up to about $20millionUS.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
If you don't know how to help, here's a thorough list of where and how you can donate:

HOW TO HELP
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Somewhere in your future, many humans will disappear from the face of the earth! All of them at once and in the flash of an instant!
Perhaps a worse fate lies for those left behind? Let us pray for both the departed and those still present.......
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Shame about the poor (now forgotten again) people of sudan. If only they could have a tsunami to focus the worlds attention on their plight. Please remember that other charity suffers by mass donations to one cause.
- Mark Twain
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
While many children died from the tsunami disaster, many children will die today in sudan from a human made disaster. They are starving too and have been for a long time now but I hear we are sending X tonnes of food relief to the tsunami vitems who do have the resources available (but not distribution). Yet why are the children of places like sudan starving too death? Remember. Today children will die in sudan.
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Give to the catastrophe in Asia... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL