The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Give to the catastrophe in Asia... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On 2004-12-30 18:53, ReyRey Puentes wrote:
Somewhere in your future, many humans will disappear from the face of the earth! All of them at once and in the flash of an instant!

What exactly are you talking about?

Mikael
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Alien abduction I think Mikael.
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I am saying that sure those folks who persished in the Tsunami deserve our prayers, but perhaps a worse fate lies for those of us left behind.

What I wrote, "Somewhere in your future, many humans will disappear from the face of the earth! All of them at once and in the flash of an instant!
Perhaps a worse fate lies for those left behind?" is a prophecy.

There is no such thing as Alien Abduction...An abduction doesn't need to be labled more definitively than what it is.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
ReyRey Puentes is correct is his statment "Somewhere in your future, many humans will disappear from the face of the earth! All of them at once and in the flash of an instant!" if worded correctly.

There are quite a few disasters waiting to befall us as an organism and these disasters will reduce the world population by over two thirds. There are so many parameters that govern our existance that for a minor fluctuation in these parameters could prove fatal to us.
There are dynamics in our solar system that could affect us. there are dynamics in our own planet that could wipe us out. Our biosphere is in danger of being driven into a state that is irreversible if not already.
This does not even include human induced issues like genocide, war, disease or just common ignorance.
It is a good time to reflect on our place in the universe and realise that the spark we carry is not ours for long.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Quote:
On 2004-12-31 14:06, ReyRey Puentes wrote:
I am saying that sure those folks who persished in the Tsunami deserve our prayers, but perhaps a worse fate lies for those of us left behind.

What I wrote, "Somewhere in your future, many humans will disappear from the face of the earth! All of them at once and in the flash of an instant!
Perhaps a worse fate lies for those left behind?" is a prophecy.

There is no such thing as Alien Abduction...An abduction doesn't need to be labled more definitively than what it is.

So you are talking about the leftbehind books, and believe that Jesus is comming to get his people. A nasty thing to do in a catastrophe like this.

Mikael
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Dude you think this was a catastrophe?
shift the magnitude and you have catastrophe. This disaster is on a small scale believe me. It may appear to a person that this was a severe disaster but that is a deceptive view to have. I could give you over 100 examples of how it could have been worse.
when you consider that only 4% of the world population has skill required to live and survive in an enviroment without utilities and under survival conditions you can see how a major catastrophe can leave the human population in turmoil.
What are you going to do for you and your familiy when the supermarkets and other shops are not open due to catastrophe. Can you secure water, medical and food? Can you protect your family against others who feel they need your water, medical and food more than you?
Of course this is an extream example but as you can see that this does happen and is not announced.
I would not say I am as prepared as I could be, but I always consider the worst poss scenario and plan upwards.
- Mark Twain
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1020 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Me thinks Rey Rey is talking about the Bible and the predictions about the second coming of Jesus Christ. While all true in my opinion, it's just quite a bit off topic.

Having lived in Asia for a long time now it is a big thing. I have friends who are volunteering at different places. It's sad what some countries have said about the situation not really effecting the global economy. For sure the majority of people who didn't survive were very much poor people who at best only make a meager existence at best. I've been to many of the places effected and understand that. It's the human compassion and caring for each other regardless of race or creed that will hopefully continue on after the effected areas can get back on their feet.

JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Hi all,

I'm very fortunate to say that Singapore was sheltered by this disaster, but it happened right behind our backyard. Countless pp have lost their families n loved ones in an instant, & those who survived carried on the emtional scars. A hundered over Singaporeans still remain uncontacted at this point of time, & we were told to be prepared for the worst. The last thing we needed is for someone to rub it in. it's a small scale disaster? I beg your pardon? did you lost any of yr loved ones in this disaster? did it happened right in London? pls keep yr comments to yrself, & when you lost any of yr loved ones in a disaster or accident, remember it's just on a small scale. get a life. dude.
never try, never know
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
When the good Lord is no longer off topic in your life you will understand that some trials and tribulations are headed your way too! Are you ready? How will you respond?

I have never read "Left Behind" books.

When the Creator ever hears me proclaim that his words are "Off Topic" may he strike me down right at my keyboard.

Let us pray for all those affected! The answer should be everyone in the world, for we are all brothers and sisters!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Have you heard of this planet called Jupiter? Well this planet is in our solar system and gave us silly little humans a glimpse at what nature can really do.
A comet called Shoemaker-Levy 9 decided to show us what happens when a really big objetct hits a planet. http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/comet.html
This type of event on earth would be of the magnitude I pointed to in my last post.

And how about this well known event...

Krakatau erupted in 1883, in one of the largest eruptions in recent time. Krakatau is an island volcano along the Indonesian arc, between the much larger islands of Sumatra and Java (each of which has many volcanoes also along the arc). There is a very fine book about the Krakatau eruption by Tom Simkin and Richard Fiske, so if you really want to know about the eruption you should go to the nearest bookstore or library to find that.

Here are some highlights from their summary of effects:

1. The explosions were heard on Rodriguez Island, 4653 km distant across the Indian Ocean, and over 1/13th of the earth's surface.

2. Ash fell on Singapore 840 km to the N, Cocos (Keeling) Island 1155 km to the SW, and ships as far as 6076 km WNW. Darkness covered the Sunda Straits from 11 a.m. onthe 27th until dawn the next day.

3. Giant waves reached heights of 40 m above sea level, devastating everything in their path and hurling ashore coral blocks weighing as much as 600 tons.

4. At least 36,417 people were killed, most by the giant sea waves, and 165 coastal villages were destroyed.

5. When the eruption ended only 1/3 of Krakatau, formerly 5x9 km, remained above sea level, and new islands of steaming pumice and ash lay to the north where the sea had been 36 m deep.

6. Every recording barograph in the world ducumented the passage of the airwave, some as many as 7 times as the wave bounced back and forth between the eruption site and its antipodes for 5 days after the explosion.

7. Tide gauges also recorded the sea wave's passage far from Krakatau. The wave "reached Aden in 12 hours, a distance of 3800 nautical miles, usually traversed by a good steamer in 12 days".

8. Blue and green suns were observed as fine ash and aerosol, erupted perhaps 50 km into the stratosphere, circled the equator in 13 days.

9. Theree months after the eruption these products had spread to higher latitudes causing such vivid red sunset afterglows that fire engines were called out in New York, Poughkeepsie, and New Haven to quench the apparent conflagration. Unusual sunsets continued for 3 years.

10. Rafts of floating pumice-locally thick enouth to support men, trees, and no doubt other biological passengers-crossed the indian Ocean in 10 months. Others reached Melanesia, and were still afloat two years after the eruption.

11. The volcanic dust veil that created such spectacular atmospheric effects also acted as a solar radiation filter, lowering global temperatures as much as 1.2 degree C in the year after the eruption. Temperatures did not return to normal until 1888.

The book is full of many more amazing bits of information. Hopefully these small excerpts will be useful to you.

In the 1880s the world population was much smaller so a good comparison can be made between disasters. I just wonder how much aid was given then?
- Mark Twain
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5109 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Over three thousand (3000+) people from my "little" country sweden are dead and more is missing on the Phuket beaches, Thailand. Thousands are also severe injured. This is the biggest disaster in swedish history!
Its a sad week for the swedish people and all the others...

Life a short moment on earth.

Pictures and Videos:

http://www.waveofdestruction.org/

Database of the people:
http://www.csiphuket.com/
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I made a purchase from Amazon.com a few days ago. The first thing you see on their site right now is a place to donate to the international red cross. Please do so if you have not already.
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
I really can't understand why some smart alex want to compare disasters against disasters...it's like we have a tall mountain on earth...then we have a taller mountain on some disaster-proned plantet called jupiter...then there's even taller mountain somewhere out there on d solar system...wat's d point? thouands are suffering, and instead of helping or donating, we should go to our nearest bookstore n find out even more worse disasters? then we can comfort ourselves? one Singaporean has to look at hundreds of corpses, hoping to identify his brother.....Many still remain uncontacted, & their families will not even get to see their bodies..... frankly speaking, if one of d victims was yr loved ones, will you spend your time lecturing abt disasters on the forum? chinese have a saying, 'those who are sitting down do not understand those who are standing'....there are many volunteers from Singapore going down to help instead of going down to the nearest bookstore to enhance their disaster knowledge...many are just ordinary folks, & know nuts abt the solar system.
never try, never know
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
& yeah thxs for reminding....i know abt jupiter, it's a wonderful place, not only silly pp live there, smart alecs also live there, besides jupiter is full of disasters, I hope you can bring your whole family there for a vacation. & dun act as if you know a lot abt s'pore, the things tat were affected by the ashes were d cars & just d haze.....but we still have our eyes to see.
never try, never know
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I have given money to the disaster fund. Some local people also have family in Sri Lanka and I have given to their collection.
I have quit my job (december) and am seriously thinking of offering my help to one of the voluntary aid organisations for about 2 months. I also wanted to help in Sudan.
I am sorry if you are offended by my comments but they come from a wish to help people understand more about the world we care for.

I don't know much about Singapore and have never been there. I have been to Borneo and Sumatra though.
Peace.
- Mark Twain
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Yes, peace....i admitted tat I was very offended when you mentioned the disaster was on a small scale, & used it on a comparatively basis. Man-to-man, you have apologized, & I must too. I'm sorry. Peace.

yujie
never try, never know
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Good on you Partizan!

Howard
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2004-12-29 11:12, irossall wrote:
Which country did you give to? I give to many causes through my taxes.

I wouldn't rely on your taxes going to aid. The USA gives less then 0.15% of its GDP to aid, making it the least generous developed country. Australia is fourth worst at 0.25%. (Although I've just learnt the Australia is giving one BILLION dollars in tsuanmi aid which will go directly to the country and not to an NGO.)

On another point...

...why can I only find 50 posts and 2 threads on this topic? When 911 happened, we had hundreds of posts on the subject! This massive disastor barely raised a ripple. Is it that most of the predominantly western Café members don't care when it doesn't affect people like them?
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I think it is less that and more the fact that 9/11 was a man made disaster that could have (possibly) been prevented/averted. The tsunami is "just" an act of nature. This does not lessen the impact on the affected area mind you. It just lessens the horror of it in some people's mind.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
This is an interesting subject Samuel, which we have been discussing in our home today. Thank God we have not lost anyone (to the best of our knowledge) in this disaster.

But if say one of our relatives had been killed in the Tsunami. It would have been a great loss, but one would have had that inner feeling of maybe some sort of acceptance, as it would have been caused by "mother earth" so as to speak, and not by the bullet or bomb of a terrorist, the blight of cancer that one day will be curable, or even worse - some ridiculous road accident.

I know what Nicholas is saying. Let's face it, we in Britain and Nicholas' Country, Australia were the first to run to the side of the USA at the time of 9/11 (because we know you would have done the same for us as we are special friends and tied by blood); but I think the two need separating, and Samuel's posting does illustrate this.

One thing for sure, these Countries not only need the gift of debt relief, as Britain is now pushing hard to achieve in the international community; but also the gift of immediate, and not so immediate, cash and clothing donations.

Tony.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Give to the catastrophe in Asia... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL