The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Daniel Summer's Instant Babe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Eureka !

I knew there was something missing. It seemed strange that the show popped up in the thread and no Instant Babe was mentioned. Now it all makes sense. Its a beautiful prop and is sure to be a hit. Did you get yours directly from Dan or did you have Bill Smith ( licenced builder ) build you one ? Dan's pretty proud of that prop and rightly so.

Didn't mean to jump on you regards plugging the show. I hope you'll continue to do so ....I was only concerned because it popped into the thread apparantly out of topic which gave it a spam-like appearance. I'm not too far geographically from that show and I will attend, time permitting. Looking forward to seeing it.

Best,

Tim
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Maybe just me,, I been building for over 8 years now and looks nothing more then a thin table base/step base type of illusion,, although it is fast in apearance of the babe I'm curious as too if you think that it was worth the amount you payed for it now if it came with the girl,,WELL ILL TAKE TWO,,,LOL.

Fantisy Knight
TrickyRickysMagic
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
MikeJRogers
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
354 Posts

Profile of MikeJRogers
TrickyRickysMagic,

By my viewing there seems to be a little more to it than what you described. The design is a little more complicated.

Regards,

Mike
Mike Rogers Illusion Design - Australia - http://www.mikerogers.com.au
"Nothings impossible, the impossible just takes longer" - Dan Brown novel
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
On 2005-02-24 03:38, TrickyRickysMagic wrote:
Maybe just me,, I been building for over 8 years now and looks nothing more then a thin table base/step base type of illusion,

Trust me on this one. This is no ordinary base. I've seen the prop up close as well as in action. "Slick " is the only way I can describe it. Dan Summers is a pioneer in magic design. He wouldn't market anything ordinary! You can see a video of the prop in action at http://www.danielsummers.com/instantbabehs.mpg

A tip to any performers of this effect. DON"T perform it in front of a black background as the audience will think its a BA effect. Its that fast of a production that many of my friends have guessed BA as the method. ( especially those who know what a base is ) The can't believe this is a base.

Best,

Tim
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I think that the real kicker is that the cloth is lifted above the platform (showing nothing) just a moment before the "babe" is produced.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
That's what separates this effect from other bases. Forget the fact that the base looks way too thin. The fact that the cloth is held up and above the base and then whisked away to reveal the babe " instantly " is what produces the startling effect.

This is another reason I say DON'T perform it in front of a dark backdrop. You can even light the prop from behind to emphasize the fact that there is an empty space between the cloth and the table.

Best,

Tim
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Now Daniel Summer's website is teasing us by saying that a "new and improved" Instant Babe is coming soon. This I need to see.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Don't quote me on this one...but......I think the changes are related to the workings and will not be noticable on the outside appearance of the prop.

I can't see how he can make it any thinner.

Best,

Tim
redwine
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of redwine
Hey everyone just a quick review from a very biased source. The instant babe from the show March 19 was performed by Jon Petz and the Lovely Stacey. They worked really hard on the illusion to get it into the show. They used it to open the second half,POW and then slammed right into Compressed. I thought that was really good programming on Jon's part. I was there for some of the rehearsal and I can tell you that they worked very hard on the trick. Since I built the props I trying to stick to how Jon used them perhaps Steve can tell us what the audience reaction was like.
Owen
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
I liked the piece - although, it is not for every performing situation -
I told Jon I wanted to see it from the audience for the first show ( We did 3 that day....that Loooong day ! )Very Impressive - Jon handled it well.
Owen has always done great work amd takes pride in his work.
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Hey all!

Does anyone have a video of this illusion without any editing so we can see what it looks like start to finish? Thanks.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
You can see a video of the illusion at http://www.danielsummers.com/instantbabehs.mpg

The video is from a television special and is not edited to alter the effect. It does change camera angles but there is no camera trickery involved. I know how this effect works and I can tell you that what you see is what you get....INSTANT Babe!

Best,

Tim
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Thanks for the link to the video , Tim .

That is a beautiful illusion . Very clean, no box. Great .
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
I agree. I love watching this video. So clean and astonishing!
petz
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of petz
Hey folks - a first post for me. I performed the 'Babe' in the Miracles & Magic production back in March. Owen has built this one and made some very nice enhancements to add to the original design.
The piece is slick...very slick. The smaller the 'babe' the better and you'd be challenged to play it in a house with a balcony. The other angles you can work around. It really is a 1 inch thick base. awesome!
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
This illusion is very nice indeed, I had a similar unit that I made that does the same effect but I used BA, expect to see my BA version on e-bay when I get instant babe in!!!
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
What is BA?
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Black Art

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
Regarding the angles... I wanted to buy one, I was seriously into this illusion (it still is one of my favorites) and I wrote an email to Mr. Summers asking him about the angles. I perform on cruise ships and many times on a ship you will get the most challenging sightlines and angles (sorry to say so, but some of the cruise ship show lounges are designed by complete M****S), lot of times you will get audience in a 3/4 surrounding and some times the stage is not raised. His reply was that the Instant Babe would unfortunately not be the right solution for such performing circumstances, and that I'd better go for some box & base illusions. But I'm sure I will buy it some day, even if I had to keep it in my warehouse. The nice thing about this illusion is that the price is quite moderate and affordable in comparison to how strong the effect is and I believe that it involves some precious mechanical parts too plus it is very obvious that it is made of the materials of highest standards. When you put all this together, the price is great!
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Who is the performer in the video?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Daniel Summer's Instant Babe (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL