The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cannon's Great Escapes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
I just spent the past hour and a half on Mr. Cannon's website looking at his products. Well, the flame is still lit in my gut for escapes. His stuff is really beautiful and I am now seriously considering putting an eascape or two into my regular stage show.

I'm 48 yrs. old now but I'm still in pretty good shape and this hankering I have to do some escapes will give me that little push to get myself into better shape.

I began my stage carreer as an E.A. and it will always be my very first love. The Tom Horn transport belt is a most definite on my list....does anyone here do Mr. Cannon's "strong box" escape ?? any words or thoughts on that, please ??

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rick there was someone asking about it before but I'm not sure who performs it here.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes the Strong Box is good,only once more it`s a concealed escape.Also it requires to be fixed to the table or a stand made for it as movement although minimal tends to shake,rattle and roll.
I like it and have been useing it on and off for a few years now,mainly for small cabaret.
Ken.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
I second the thought that the Strong Box is a good piece. Kristen has been doing it since 2001. In our experience it can be done set on a rolling table, but ye a stand made for it would be best. We have been working for some time on designing a way to do this piece without the aid of cover. We hope to have it finished by this spring.

Hope that helps.

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Thank you all for your advice...I appreciate it. Now, another question, how do you feel about a performer doing the Cannon, Tom Horn transport belt, and have a pair of Clejuso heavy weights on as well as some thumb cuffs. Is that overkill ?

I've done Joe Tanner's Belt & Muff in the past and it went over like gangbusters. I did it while tied to a chair. Do you think one really has to toss him/herself all over the stage to sell the escape from the belt restraint or do you think it would be cool to sell it as a "muscle control" bit where you can release yourself without the "tossing around"...that really craps up a suit or tux...LOL!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rick do what works best. try both ways and see what kind of a response you get.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Due to the TH Belt set up,I can`t see how you would get a set of T Cuffs on!!!
Yes muscle control with plenty of facial expression is the way I do it,,,,its great to use as an alternative to an SJ.
Ken.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
It's also good to emphasize, if you use the Tom Horn story, that it successfully held a man until he was hanged.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Hey Ken...guess what ?? ~in his best Scottish accent~ Ur rrrright ! What was I thinking ??? I was up all night looking at the Cannon website (drat you Mark ! j/k) Thumbcuffs with the TH belt, hahahahaha! duh me !

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Maybe someone has done it but who knows.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Again I have no idea why so many people want to do things without cover?

To each their own I guess but a whole lot of respected EA's never had a problem with it.

IMHO mystery is the name of the game.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I agree. about the covered up. I prefer to do it covered but have been told to do it in full view maybe I should do it as a mixture.
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
Well, "full view" comes from the "locksmith as escape artist" school of thought.

I have never found lay audiences to get as much from that as they do the "mystery school of thought".

As always, to each their own.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Do a covered escape in the centre of a showground in the UK,when you have got out the audience would have vanished.
Maybe with a well spieled compare in a theatre presentation but in the real world try it and see.
This is a visual art,,,so for me,,,,,I keep it visual.
Visual escapes only,,,,,keep a lot of good escapes out ie (Milk Churn) etc,but ask your potential,booker or agent what their requirements are,cos they pay the fee,and that`s what I am after.
I quote only from my own observations.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1829 Posts

Mark....I have no idea why other people desire to do things with no cover...we can only speak for ourselves. It is how Kristen and I have decided we would do a lot of the things. We work in areas that have a much younger crowd, extreme sport generation that is driven by visual things. So this is the way we have decided to approach our show. Kristen's Water Torture Cell done in full view has made a lot of publicity for us, landed us at the largest music festivals in the country and made us the only non music act at Lollapalooza. Seeing Kristen the entire time in the water cell for an average of 1:47 really pulls the audience in..and in our opinion much more so than watching a curtain.

So is the full view method the only way to go?....no, it's not, but it is one way and it does seem to work well for us.

As far as the Cannons Strong Box goes...it is not techincally done in full view at all, in fact it is performed completely "concealed", however the audience will "remember" that it was never covered. So one does not necessarily need to do something in full view for it to be remembered as being done in full view.

Just our $.02

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The desire to do things with no cover never came into my equation, the demands of the Showbiz dictated this.
The very large Festival Shows ie Great Dorset Steam Rally (250,000)Head of people,Wiltshire and St Helens Shows (280,000)Head of people demand the visual aspect (Thats why we are booked year in and out as the only spec act appearing)Return bookings are the staple diet for us,hardly any of the 2005 season shows are newbies with the Four Seasons Events Shows our 18th year.
I have a letter requesting that the following season we drop the Milk Churn and return to the "More Visual" Suspended chain escape,,,,this letter is dated 1992 from The Events Team of Four Seasons,had I not taken notice of their requests I doubt if we would be doing ALL of their shows yet again in 2005.

Don`t take my word for it,,,,look at the very fine DVD of Mr Baker`s,,,judge for yourself which of his televised stunts came across strongest,,,and why.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
To escape in Full View or Not To Escape in Full View, that is the question, lol.

Personally, I think a mixture of both full view and covered is fine. A lot of folks have gone over to full view only because of the idea that modern audiences won't sit through not being able to see. I would agree there is merit to that arguement. But the idea of 'mystery school', which Mark mentioned, if I understood him correctly is also a very strong concept.

Being hidden or partially hidden, the audience must fill in the blank or hidden areas in their minds. Our art is based on mystery and not seeing something adds mystery. An equal dose of full view/skill and covered/mystery should help to keep the audience interested visually and mentally.

And that's my thought for the day, lol.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1829 Posts

Kondini...
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us here. It is always good to get another persons perspective on how and why they do what they do.
Congratulations and best of luck in 2005!!!

Kevin & Kristen
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
I too prefer full view escapes hence my full view water-filled casket escape, etc. I designed my own mailbag escape early on because I didn't like that a) the gag was over done b) going under cover seemed dull plus, c) I was working alone. My mailbag escape ended up costing too much retail successfully due to the cost of producing a plain but nickel plated bar I was used to seeing in the escape. In my research I found out that the USPS doesn't use a bar. Instead they use a rope with a locking rope break. I am about to release an authentic version of the mailbag escape using a bag and hardware based on actual USPS practices. The good part too is it should come in around $50 retail. The best part in my opinion however is that it is full view. For whatever it is worth, I almost always emerge to a standing ovation due to the full view effect of the mailbag and I fell audiences feel the same about other escapes. (Sorry this sounds like an ad- that wasn't the intent. I was rather was trying to state the degree to which I support full view).

As Kevin said- just my $.02!

Clyde
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Cheers!!! I only post as I find,,,each to their own but the approach of changing to the demands of the Biz is all important to us as Biz men.
We have to be flexible and be prepared to take on constructive critique even at the expense of our own preferances.
I have always felt that the audience point of view is of paramount importance, second only to that of the booker!!

Regards Ken Dean (Real Name!!),UK.

On the Mailbag,JC Diamond made a full time living on the outside gaffs with two stunts,1)The Blindfold Car Drive 2)Mailbag Escape in front of an approaching Truck or Heavy Roller.He retired three or four years ago and no-one has had the foresight to take his vacant spot(Silly people).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cannon's Great Escapes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL