The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greeting from Moscow, Idaho (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
355 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Hello,

My name is Geoff Allen, and I've been traipsing around here for a month and a half or so, and figured I'd go ahead and formally introduce myself with something I recently posted in one of the other forums, since it amounts to a description of why I'm here.

First of all, I'm from Moscow, Idaho, which is in the panhandle. I work for Washington State University. No, that's not in Idaho. Pullman, WA, and Moscow, ID are right across the border from one another, and I happen to live in Idaho while working in Washington.

I've been interested in magic off and on for 30 years or maybe more. I was an early member of the Electronic Grymoire mailing list. But I've never really made much progress beyond someone who knows sleights and does tricks. For whatever reason, the turning point for me was seeing Blue Man Group in Las Vegas. They managed to throw a switch in my mind that said, "Yeah, that's what I want to do."

So, now I begin the journey anew, with a better focus. I've already gotten a lot from the Café, and hope to both give and receive here in the months and years to come.

Ok, here's what I posted in another forum:

I have been interested in magic for over 30 years, but have never really become
a magician. Why? Quite simply because I haven't performed. I've learned sleights. I've learned tricks. I've done tricks for people. But I've never performed.

However, over the last few years, I have taken the path from someone who plays a musical instrument to musician. I now really understand music, and for lack of
a better word, can "think in music" (a necessity for jazz, which is my primary interest).

Fast forward to now. I was in Las Vegas on a business trip recently and saw Blue Man Group. I found the performance to be very magical, even though it's not a magic show, and I was filled with a very strong desire to do for others what Blue Man Group did for me -- transport them, even temporarily, to a different world.

I now see that to get there, I'll have to go through the same process I did with music. It will take time, and there are no shortcuts. I will stumble a few times along the way. But I also know I can do it.

I think one thing that held me back in the past was perfectionism. I knew I wasn't that good, so was reluctant to perform. But you can't get good unless you perform. All the finger-flicking in the world doesn't make you a performer. And, at least for me, there's little satisfaction in finger-flicking. It's doing something in and for the audience that excites me and drives me on.

So, "don't perform until you're good," but "you can't get good unless you perform."
It's a classic catch 22. As Scott said above, he had practiced, but doing it in
front of real people is very different than doing it in front of mirrors or a video camera. There's no substitute.

So, I'm beginning that journey now. I have an advantage that I know most of the
mechanics, so I can really concentrate on the "real secrets" that make magic work.
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
paulsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of paulsmagic
Welcome to the Café. this is a great place to get advice from beginners and professionals.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,
I've been fortunate enough to come across several of your post and can see you're going to be an asset at the Café. It was nice to read your introduction. Welcome to the Café!
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
355 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Thanks!
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3729 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
HELLO. Glad you're here. I actually grew up in Pullman, my father worked at WSU a LONG time ago. Used to frequent Moscow while growing up. We used to go to the drive-in theater right outside Moscow, and after moving here (Mississippi..oh, joy) turns out a friend who owned a small, independent theater here was also the owner of that particular drive-in after I left the great Northwest. Truly a small world, and as I get older, it gets even smaller.

Steve Thomas
stevethomasmagic@aol.com
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
355 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Interesting!

I've lived in Moscow since 1993, but I've never seen a drive-in here. Where was it located?

As we get older, the world gets smaller, and time moves a lot faster. Smile

Geoff
Almost Amazing Doug
View Profile
New user
Pullman, WA
78 Posts

Profile of Almost Amazing Doug
Geoff,

It was located where the old Premix plant is located, across Airport road from the Crossroads Nursery.

AAD
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greeting from Moscow, Idaho (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL