The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cocoon chain escape... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
John Novak has an escape in one of his books, I believe it's in his chain escapes book called the "cocoon". I used this escape for many years and put my own touches to it. Folks, you have to admit, with most chain escapes, you have a harder time keeping them on then taking them off. The cocoon puts an end to this. I've even used it underwater...with the cocoon on and all. it's basically a body bag that goes up to your neck.

The trick behind it is the type of cuff you use. Without exposing anything here and being arrested by the edit crew, once you learn how to do the tie itself, the rest is a piece of cake. I think the really important thing is the cocoon itself. Mine was made from a very tough, thick cotton material.

It had belt loops all around it between the shoulder and the elbow, around the waist and down the leg above the knee. I used wide leather belts I had made that padlocked shut the same as Joe Tanner's "constrictor" did. When the committee is applying the chain...they can pull those chains as hard as they please...and it dosen't effect the escape at all.

All in all, it's a very impressive outfit and you can have it off in 20 seconds or 20 minutes. When I did it, and the cocoon was in place and the committee was doing up the belts, I was able to release my wrists and just hold the loop of chain that went between my legs with my hand.

When the escape music started (I always used Perer Gunn) it was a matter of timing and personal choice as to when you release the chain loop from your hand. The chain configuration would just fall off. I normally only released one cuff from one wrist...just in case I had to snap it back on for whatever reason.

Just that escape is worth the price of the book and worth the price of having the cocoon made. If I was to do it again today, I'd use a light weight canvas or sail cloth. The belt loops would be leather and would be glued, sewn and rivited on, the belts would be at least 3 inches wide with roller buckles (there is nothing like the sound of a roller buckle being done up !)

Try to have the cocoon tapered at at proper places, the excess cloth that hangs off here and there tends to look a bit sloppy. The cocoon can be used as a feature...it's that good...and what more can we ask for in an escape...chains, locks, cuffs, a body bag and belts...and the whole darn thing is as easy as pie to execute !

~Rick~

PS..(I used the chain configuration from this escape with the milk can escape, someone actually had to push my head under water and that looked so cool, it looked as if the can was way too small for me and I had to be forced in)
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes,this plays big and packs small has all that is required in an escape plus its not dealer made which keeps it exclusive.
I agree about the roller buckles.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The Cocoon is not in Volume 2 to my knowledge but it is in a Different Volume. I'll post more when I get Home.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
915 Posts

Profile of Riley
It's in the Handcuff Act volume.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Vol. 1—A Modern Handcuff Act
Vol. 2—Selected Chain Escapes
Vol. 3—Metamorphosis
Vol. 4—Escapes From a Strait Jacket*
Vol. 5—The Bohemian Torture Escape
Vol. 6—The Mail Bag Escape
Vol. 7—The Thumb Tie
Vol. 8—The Protégé (A Full Evening of Magic and Escapes)

heres a list of the novak books.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Thanks guys...It was so long ago that I owned the John Novak series.

~Rick~
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Rick Your Welcome.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cocoon chain escape... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL