The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best Self Working Card Trick (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1440 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
My favorite lately is Aldo Columbini's ATLANTIS which has a DOUBLE KICKER ending. And the trick is basically also self working.
roya
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
211 Posts

Profile of roya
Nick Trost - The Lone Stranger.
Looks impossible, and yet, so easy to do.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Harry Lorayne's STOP trick???
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
CSmall
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of CSmall
Hello,
One response was "Who is the world's greatest magician?" I used to perform this effect and looking to find the refernce (inventor and name of book). Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8257 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And someone above may wanr to check out my version of Shufflebored - called The Equalizer. It's an impromptu killer - in my opinion, of course. hl.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
CSmall - Is it maybe 'Support your Local Magician' by Steve Beam from ‘Semi-Automatic Card Tricks vol 5’? It certainly has phrases in it along those lines, although looking at the description in the previous post I'm not so sure, so maybe or maybe not the one you're looking for.
Zaw
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Zaw
I would say invisible reverse, on the T11 website by Chris Kenner. Always gets great reactions.
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
In my own opinion The best self working card tricks are from Juan Tamariz
1) Neither Blind Nor Stupid
2) Total Coincidence
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
This thread would be more helpful in the dedicated Café area for "self-working" effects, but, be that as it may:

There have been a LOT of great suggestions Gandalf. (Are you Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White?)

I am much better at pointing out sources than effects because I believe in the end what is "best" is what suits you. However I will add Smyth's Myth and its many variants. For ME at least it is a KILLER plot.

Off the top o' me noggin:

Steve Beam's SACT series, Effortless Card Magic by Peter Duffie, Some self-working stuff in many of the journals of course, Aldo Colombini is a GREAT source for self-working effects, Fulves of course has been mentioned, The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks is LOADED with great stuff, Royal Road to Card Magic has some interesting self-workers, The MASSIVE Stewart James Books are a veritable goldmine of EVERYTHING.

Also, consider effects that aren't sleight heavy from people such as Nick Trost. Buy The Card Magic of Nick Trost. This is a GRRRREAT book. I should also mention the series The Subtle Card Magic of Nick Trost. (Richard Hatch and Charlie Randall, it is time for volume 3, yes??) Also, Peter Duffie and Robin Robertson's Card Conspiracy volumes and Diamonds from Coal have some good stuff. Harry Lorayne has some beauts all over the literature. One effect that IMMEDIATELY comes to mind is Guess Quotient from Best of Friends III. It is a devastating effect for me at least.

Also, I STRONGLY urge you to invest in The Tarbell Course in Magic. The PATTER might be dated, but, the effects and the philosophy are SOUND.

Surprised no one has mentioned Card College Light and Lighter.

Simon Aronson is a WONDERFUL source for HARD HITTING magic that is NOT sleight heavy at all. And no, he is NOT all about memdeck work. Get Try the Impossible, and learn Prior Commitment! Yes, I know I am going against my own advice (again) by naming a specific effect, but, this is one of those gems that KILLS, and it will fool YOU when you first try it Gandalf. Rumour is that Saruman wanted it in HIS repertoire but those Uruks would not leave him in peace; something about a Ring and a Hobbit? Anyhow, Prior Commitment is the first of a series of effects from Aronson that utilize a principle called UnDo Influence. Prior Commitment is a STRONG piece of magic.

Crossroads from Ben Harris is an excellent effect with a LOT of bonus material. Also Ben has something VERY powerful coming out. Look at http://www.wowbound.com

Oh the heck with it, here are a FEW effect suggestions (some repeats since it IS 3:02 AM (A minor?? Yes, the relative minor of C major and the parallel minor of A major) and I just got home from a music gig:

GrEight by Paul Gordon, Untouched by Daryl (this is a variant of a Tony Faro idea published in the UK journal Pabular in 1974), Impossible! by Larry Jennings, Pseudo by Stephen Tucker, Dangerous Game by Max Maven, Twin Souls by Al Baker, Spelligant by Harry Lorayne, Kicked by Simon Lovell, Impromptu Out of This Universe by Harry Lorayne, Emotional Reaction by Dai Vernon, The 4-5-6 packet trick by Sal Piacente (based on a William McCaffrey idea found in Greater Magic).

I think though that the BEST ANY type of effect is what YOU find works best for you Gandalf. There are enough ideas in this thread to keep you studying for a LONG time, and how cool will it be to say to Galadriel (if you are Gandalf the White you now of course dwell in Valinor) "Pick a card you Elvish babe!" (Thinking here of Max Malini's famous line to Queen Victoria: "Mrs. Queen, please peek at a card."

A rock musician posting on the Café after a gig! And you guys thought we just partied with groupies!! Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16927 Posts

Profile of joseph
Lennert Green's Stolen Cards is great and fun to perform...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3133 Posts

Profile of warren
Further than that is another very good one I think I first learned it via one of the Ammar easy to master tapes.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
No votes for Bannon's Dead Reckoning? Wonderful trick.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2469 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Dead Reckoning requires a faro shuffle. For many, that removes it from the list of "Self Working". It is an excellent effect, though.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Steven:

I performed Dead Reckoning at a party last night and it doesn't requie a faro shuffle. You must be thinking of a different trick.

Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
He's thinking of the sandwich effect...isn't dead reckoning the one with the mental spelling?
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2469 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Ted, Shodan, you're right. I was thinking of Dawn Patrol. It's another effect by Bannon with the same methodology. You're right, Dead Reckoning would classify as self working. However, I still use a faro to get the correct card into the correct position before doing this effect. I also use a modified handling so that I don't need to set up the top half of the deck in advance, I'm able to do it impromptu.

In any event, yes it's a great trick.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Harald
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Harald
For me the best collection of self working card tricks are the books of Roberto Giobbi Light, Lighter, Lightest. It is simply a great collection of great nearly "self working" tricks.
Laurent A
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Laurent A
Out Of This World Card Trick by Paul Curry
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-03-28 13:36, Laurent A wrote:
Out Of This World Card Trick by Paul Curry

Laurent,

Between the two, I would choose Lorayne's Impromptu Out of The Universe, because the deck can be genuinely and freely shuffled by the audience. Curry's original IS phenomenal, and that was what I performed until I found Mr. Lorayne's approach. In addition, you do not do the whole deck.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
902 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Random ACAAN by Tommaso Guglielmi.

M.P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best Self Working Card Trick (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL