The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best Self Working Card Trick (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Lorayne: Impromptu Out of this World
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Not to say it's the best - but I like it a lot Smile , Mike Powers "PM Principle" is killer, especially if you do the "plus" version.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
742 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
There are several that come to mind but the first two that I thought of right away (both in Karl Fulves' Self-Working Card Tricks) are Gemini Twins (mentioned by several others) and Any Deck, Any Time. When I did restaurant work, I would sometimes perform Gemini Twins (with a brief premise on what soulmates are) for couples and did as atest/experiment of how in sync the two of them are at this moment in time. I did this a few months ago when I was out with a large group of friends and acquaintances.... one of my friends (who had just moved in with his girlfriend) asked me to do a couple of tricks. I involved the two of them and did the routine as I used to perform it in the restaurant and she was so touched by it that she began to cry. It's like Mark Wilson wrote in the preface of one of his books, "The secrets to good magic can be quite simple. So don’t judge a magic trick by its secret --- judge it by its effect on the audience."
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 16:45, Jimmy Joza wrote:
There are several that come to mind but the first two that I thought of right away (both in Karl Fulves' Self-Working Card Tricks) are Gemini Twins (mentioned by several others) and Any Deck, Any Time. When I did restaurant work, I would sometimes perform Gemini Twins (with a brief premise on what soulmates are) for couples and did as atest/experiment of how in sync the two of them are at this moment in time. I did this a few months ago when I was out with a large group of friends and acquaintances.... one of my friends (who had just moved in with his girlfriend) asked me to do a couple of tricks. I involved the two of them and did the routine as I used to perform it in the restaurant and she was so touched by it that she began to cry. It's like Mark Wilson wrote in the preface of one of his books, "The secrets to good magic can be quite simple. So don’t judge a magic trick by its secret --- judge it by its effect on the audience."

That's a really nice story. Can you elaborate a bit on your presentation of the effect? How exactly do you connect the spectators together? In the usual presentation it's more of a connection between performer and the spectator (because performer selects the cards where spectator stops) so I'm really interested in how you present it. Thanks
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2527 Posts

Profile of brehaut
A brand new effect by Ben Harris --- PSI Poker
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
I have a lot of great self worker and discoverys but I really like John Bannon Power of Poker. They do all the dealin and you win every time.
William B
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of William B
I would strongly reccomend Out of this world. I did it for someone once who sat down for 5 minutes unable to speak after seeing it. Ivisible deck is also very good as is X-ray by Ben Harris and Steve Shufton. The wizard product review is a great way toguide you on good thing to get and what to stay away from.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2527 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I think I would have to add Patrick Redford's new ACAAN effect to this list. Brilliant.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
Twists of fate hands down.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have watched 3 performances of "Twists of Fate" - I think for the most part it is brilliant. However, I do have one issue - which I noticed right away - it is near the end as the 2 packets are being dealt/shuffled according to the spectator's call (spec calls out "shuffle" every once in a while as the cards in each packet are dealt).

Clearly, this is no obstacle to many here loving the effect. It does give me pause, however, as I noticed immediately. And I don't think this is a case of thinking like a magician. I would imagine that an observant spectator would notice, though perhaps not every time.

I would like to hear some of your thoughts, both positive and negative. I realize that there is the "it flies by them" argument Smile but I can't bring myself to believe it flies by *that much! Smile

Replies might be better via PM.

Thanks -
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
I was at the public library a few weeks ago and took a break from study to browse the rather pathetic magic book selection. I grabbed Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks and the first trick I tried, called Magic Breath, has been getting me tremendous reactions ever since. Hugard's description says it all...

"THIS is a good example of how the presentation can be made to transform a simple trick into a striking effect."
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
>I do have one issue concerning Twits of fate

What is the issue ? You think that layman won't believe the deal-shuffle sequence ? I have the effect and if you do it fast, it looks very convincing.
dtextreme
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of dtextreme
The best self working card trick is the effect in one of Eugene Burger's DVDs. I don't remember the title but a few different spectators lay down the cards and as soon as they get this "special psychic feeling," they stop and place a bill down to mark the spot where they stopped. A few spectators do this procedure and when it's done, all the cards they marked turn out to be all Aces.

It's great because the magician barely touches the deck. The spectators do 70% of the work, and the spectators are placed in a "heroic position," as all of them did something magical, and all become winners since all the cards become aces
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2527 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Althought its not one effect--check out S'lie by Mick Ayres
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
I like Harry Loraynes Lazy Mans Card Trick.

It's easy, and lets you concentrate on presentation issues.
greymagick
View Profile
New user
Spain
53 Posts

Profile of greymagick
Perhaps it may not be my favourite, but I like to perform a very simple effect called 4-Most by Peter Duffie, in which the spectator handles the deck all hy himself and "finds" the 4 queens after a series of free choices. The method is cleverly concealed, the magician does barely touch the deck, and it never fails to get strong reactions. It is a variation of an older trick whose name I don't recall.
- Grey
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2527 Posts

Profile of brehaut
My new favorite is Numbers by Rus Andrews (see ebook category for latest reviews). The performer does not handle the cards. He makes a prediction. The spectator chooses a number and counts down the cards to that number. The card at the number selected by spectator matches the performer's prediction. Really brilliant. No sleight of hand whatsoever.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
One of my favorite self-working card tricks is "What's Your Number" in Mind Reading Card Tricks by Robert Mandelberg. The book is a card trick book for kids but has a few hard hitting mentalism style card routines. This one routine can only be used if you can find out someone's phone number in advance but it leaves people totally bewildered and amazed.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
586 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Yep, bought the book for that one routine! Nice and cheap book, mind, but what a lovely effect on audiences this has. Additionally, I use this same principle and combine it with Aronsons 'fate' and you have an awesome effect with a normal deck of cards that slays audiences; something a bit 'special'...
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
902 Posts

Profile of entermagic
If you like the ACAAN effect, the most easy ACAAN with 2 deck that you can perform is The Eyes of Darkness by Tommy (It is selfworking).
Another one, but requires just bit of practice is: Duplicity by Tommy. Duplicity in my opinion you can compare it with the Holy Grail,
if you perform a double ACAAN.

It is very hard to do better with 1 or 2 regular decks.

MP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best Self Working Card Trick (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL