The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » No Smoking by Jean-Luc Bertrand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
Hello

I was wondering if people could tell me what they think of this product
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1082

As I'm interested in buying it
Matthew
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
I was wondering if people could tell me what they think of this product
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1082

This is the first I have seen of it, but it seems like a pretty strong trick as long as you can handle all the palming that seems to be involved in the routine the video showed.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Palming - Nearly - in as much as you got the first letter right - seems to be ever so sleightly over priced...
catch you later

Clarioneer
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
What do you mean?
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I saw the video demo of this before. It's a neat idea but I agree with Clarioneer that's it's a bit over priced for what the effect is. It's entertaining and looks good, but nothing to new really.

Well, I can't say for sure if it's over priced now that I think about it because I haven't seen the DVD. Maybe there's more on there to make it worth that price. Anyone who has it please let us know.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Get outsmokin from Ron Jaxon above - you'll learn how to do that and a lot more besides - and have more fun doing it... Ron has taken the principle to a whole new level with a very clever application of the basic move... and it's a lot cheaper...
catch you later

Clarioneer
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I like it. Nice routine and climax.
It could be a nice replacement for Color Changing Knives.
In my area smoking has become banned in many public places.
This could be worked into table hopping and anti-smoking nicely.
Overpriced? Yes.
Dolphin
View Profile
Regular user
Slovenia
171 Posts

Profile of Dolphin
I agree with Clarioneer. You must get Ron Jaxon`s Outsmoking. You can borrow a cigarette and this way the trick gets more convincing. Moreover at the end of the routine they can inspect the cigarette. It`s theirs.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well I think the demo was a little to long for the effect, but the climax was sweet. Didn't expect it. As far as the price, yes very high for what is shown I think. But then again I won't know until I have it so any of you who do let me know how it works out.
jlbertrand
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of jlbertrand
Hi everyone,
a friend of mine told me you guys were talking about NO SMOKING... let me try to give you as much informations as I can. especially regarding the price as it seems to be a global concern.

50 euros is today 64.99 USD. The reason of that : the american currency sadly went very, very down. 30% in fact. When it use to be only a 48 $ video with gimmicks. Which was a very reasonable price for a 55 mn length along with extras and cool advices. Now I would not spend 70$ myself for a lighter paddle trick, but I am sure you understand that there is no way for me to sell that product 30% cheaper because of a bad currency rate. Anyhow I know that the people who will find an interest in it will anyway get it, because they know that when a trick fits a style it will always get amazing reactions.

I have been doing that trick for 7 years now and every night I still do. It use to be a regular BIC lighter from wich a random logo would vanish. Now I have them manufactured from BIC directly, Greg Wilson helped find the most logical logo to have on a lighters, so that it would touch the audience in a funny way. Also because I they come from a factory, not only they look good but they last really long and more than anything, EVERYBODY recognize the lighter. Just like a Coke can, you know what it is so they don't feel any suspicion, never. And trust me when the climax comes... well... they have never seen this in their life. I know it's just a weird lighter but the reactions are so stunning. In fact, I think that's mostly why I never stop doing that routine, people are so fun to watch.

If anyone has any question, I will be more than happy to help, so do not hesitate
I hope to talk to you soon
All the best
Jean-luc Bertrand
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2115 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
This is ridik-a-lik-a-lik-a-likalous!!!!
Everyone is being pretty reserved in their assesments of the price! $60-some-odd dollars for a hot-rod effect???? This isn't the MOST ludicrously overpriced item ever shown in this forum (have you seen the $5000 D'Lites?) but I'm sure it's in the top-ten.

BTW, regarding the weak dollar.....that's a cloud with a silver-lining if there ever was one. When the dollar is weak, that means two things: 1)Europeans & Japanese / etc. are more likely to invest in U.S. markets / land / products, and travel, due to the cheap exchange rate, and 2)Americans are more likely to buy and invest domesticly due to the abortive prices against their currency. Some foriengers get nervous and sell off their dollar interests, but that's a dumb move, given this country's ecenomic history. The dollar has ALWAYS rebounded against foreign currency sooner or later, and it will do so this time as well. The smart thing for foreingers to do would be to invest heavily in American markets at a cheap rate, then reap the rewards when the tide turns. The perceived & oft-lampooned glee that Europeans are seen to be expressing over the dollars fall to the Euro is really misplaced.....if the european markets become abortively expensive, U.S. dollars will leave, and stop coming in the form of purchases, investments and tourism. There have been numerous times in the past when foriegn banks have actually tried to 'prop-up' the dollar for this reason. Some countries such as Mexico & China....whose economies are all but 100% dependent upon the health & attitude of the American economy, actually have laws preventing their currency from becoming too strong against the dollar, beacuase the afeormentioned effects, which would be bad (in the long run) for Europe / Japan, would be DISASTEROUS (In the very short-run) for other countries.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
Palming - Nearly - in as much as you got the first letter right - seems to be ever so sleightly over priced...

Obviously the bulk of the routine is p***le moves, but for the ending, one must be able to palm and switch. The finale is really the only thing that keeps this from being a glorified hot-rod trick. If you cannot deliver the finale, there is no real point in owning the trick.

I agree, the price seems a wee bit steep for a couple of lighters.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Missed the finale so took another look - can be acheived with a simple false transfer... the tough stuff I would have thought were all the moves themselves - the shape/size/smooth surface of lighters don't make for easy moves - and bear in mind the originator has been performing this for more than a few years Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
Missed the finale so took another look - can be acheived with a simple false transfer...

Ah yes, true...

Quote:
the tough stuff I would have thought were all the moves themselves - the shape/size/smooth surface of lighters don't make for easy moves - and bear in mind the originator has been performing this for more than a few years Smile

Agreed.
I would think that lighters wouldn't be the best material considering the move. Wouldn't the fact that they are always pointing the same way (the flintwheel) be a dead-give? I would think that pens, lighters, anything that isn't perfectly symetrical would be a bad idea for the p***le move.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Anyone who thinks they are gonna pick this up and perform as demo any time soon must be mad Smile not only mega practise (unless you've got sandpaper for finger tips) - but will it be worth it, too much of the same thing will be a big giveaway - I'll stick with outsmokin Smile

If you want something difficult using the move Carl Andrews dice routine might be a more fun effect... when you find the right sized dice Smile and packs even smaller Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
ace_spade
View Profile
Regular user
Ontario
135 Posts

Profile of ace_spade
I think this looks cool and gets good reaction.But wow is it high priced!

I could get a couple lighters stick a no smoking sign to the sides and BANG!Ihave it.
Although it looks very cool.
I wouldnt buy unless you have a good income,have mastered the p***le move and can palm lighters.

But if done right can probably get some gasps.

Tyler Mayer

Quote:
Agreed.
I would think that lighters wouldn't be the best material considering the move. Wouldn't the fact that they are always pointing the same way (the flintwheel) be a dead-give? I would think that pens, lighters, anything that isn't perfectly symetrical would be a bad idea for the p***le move.

I don't think they are gonna look that close Smile
I did the P***le move with a butter knife with a flatside and a curved side when I was young,and no one ever noticed.
"Believing is seeing" Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-01-22 16:53, juan wrote:
Hahaha...Americans.....always the owners of the world...hahahaha

Don't we wish! Better than being the owner of ....nothing. Smile

Quote:
On 2005-01-24 19:28, Clarioneer wrote:
Anyone who thinks they are gonna pick this up and perform as demo any time soon must be mad not only mega practise (unless you've got sandpaper for finger tips) - but will it be worth it, too much of the same thing will be a big giveaway -

Actually, I tried the p***le move with a cheap logo lighter. It was soooooo easy to do - fooled me.
Carlos Lacuna
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Carlos Lacuna
The novelty of logo changing lighters may seem pricey for what it is, but if you can handle it like Jean-Luc Bertrand does, then it's pure gold.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I think the strength of the effect has to do largely with the lead into the effect. Let's face it, there are plenty of good jokes you can make about a no-smoking logo on a lighter. A number of jokes came to mind immediately, for me.
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Lol, I am on holiday now and walked into a shop that sells throw away lighters like the one in the vid, not with no smoking on them though, and I said to the women that it should have a logo on it and pointed, doing the p***le move and she got the box down and started to sort through them and she thought I had a dud one, then I picked another one up and done it with the logo on both sides, she almost flipped!! great idea and for all the moves that are with it and telling you a lot of tips, I think that it is not that overpriced, but anyone in here that has actualy bought it yet and could tell us a bit about it? cheers, daz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » No Smoking by Jean-Luc Bertrand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL